The Student Room Group

Did anyone do IGCSE edexcel German?

I’m struggling to revise for this. The listening and writing is okay for me, but the comprehension is where I lose marks.
Original post by guysays
I’m struggling to revise for this. The listening and writing is okay for me, but the comprehension is where I lose marks.

Hi @guysays

I found my reading/comprehension for German improved the most when I started reading as much German as I could, so that I was exposed to it. I changed my phone language to German for a while, for example, or had a read of German magazines or news articles online.

If it's the questions and answers you're struggling with, I know the feeling. I used to always miss out the key words or not fully understand the question so then my answer was wrong. I found looking at past exam questions helpful, to both have a go at the questions, and to also look at the mark schemes to see what kind of answers they required. Keeping on top of your vocab is also important for comprehension as sometimes you can get the gist of a text from the key words.

Hope this helps.
Emily
Student Rep at BCU 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @guysays

I found my reading/comprehension for German improved the most when I started reading as much German as I could, so that I was exposed to it. I changed my phone language to German for a while, for example, or had a read of German magazines or news articles online.

If it's the questions and answers you're struggling with, I know the feeling. I used to always miss out the key words or not fully understand the question so then my answer was wrong. I found looking at past exam questions helpful, to both have a go at the questions, and to also look at the mark schemes to see what kind of answers they required. Keeping on top of your vocab is also important for comprehension as sometimes you can get the gist of a text from the key words.

Hope this helps.
Emily
Student Rep at BCU 🙂

Thank you for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest