The Student Room Group

Would a degree for marketing at a Russell/ good uni be better than apprenticeship

I’m looking to go into marketing. Specifically at queen mary university inside London. Though i don’t know if I should pay to do a degree or do an apprenticeship. Obviously if I do end up at uni I will look for some work experience but if I choose to do an apprenticeship I would have more time on focusing on work experience. Which one is better?
Apprenticeship is always the better option for the time being. Do the apprenticeship, save money and you can always go to university at a later stage.
Original post by userXi
I’m looking to go into marketing. Specifically at queen mary university inside London. Though i don’t know if I should pay to do a degree or do an apprenticeship. Obviously if I do end up at uni I will look for some work experience but if I choose to do an apprenticeship I would have more time on focusing on work experience. Which one is better?

Is the degree CIM accredited?

is the apprenticeship?
Original post by userXi

Both options have merits. A degree provides theoretical knowledge and networking opportunities, while an apprenticeship offers hands-on experience and potential for immediate employment. Consider your learning style, career goals, and financial situation. If you prefer structured learning and aspire for higher-level positions, a degree might be beneficial. If practical experience is your priority and you're eager to enter the workforce sooner, an apprenticeship could be the way to go. Ultimately, research the specific programs at Queen Mary University and weigh the pros and cons to make the best decision for your career path in marketing.
Original post by userXi

Depends what you do whilst at university.

A degree by itself has some beneficial but typically limited employability benefits, but universities are a great platform where you can add a lot of value to your resume. In general experience is more valuable then qualifications (although there are exceptions).

Employees won’t care about Russell Group specifically, prestigious institutions can help in certain situations although typically not average graduate schemes and Queen Mary whilst being a good university is not in my experience viewed as that prestigious of a university.
Reply 5
Original post by nerdy_student
Both options have merits. A degree provides theoretical knowledge and networking opportunities, while an apprenticeship offers hands-on experience and potential for immediate employment. Consider your learning style, career goals, and financial situation. If you prefer structured learning and aspire for higher-level positions, a degree might be beneficial. If practical experience is your priority and you're eager to enter the workforce sooner, an apprenticeship could be the way to go. Ultimately, research the specific programs at Queen Mary University and weigh the pros and cons to make the best decision for your career path in marketing.
It's not as if apprenticeships don't offer networking opportunities. I can't think of a single reason why anyone would choose a degree over an apprenticeship, especially in something that doesn't need a degree in the first place.
Original post by mnot
Depends what you do whilst at university.

A degree by itself has some beneficial but typically limited employability benefits, but universities are a great platform where you can add a lot of value to your resume. In general experience is more valuable then qualifications (although there are exceptions).

Employees won’t care about Russell Group specifically, prestigious institutions can help in certain situations although typically not average graduate schemes and Queen Mary whilst being a good university is not in my experience viewed as that prestigious of a university.
As someone who does recruitment I couldn't care less what university someone's goes to in the end of the day everyone comes out with the same knowledge peoples behaviours are the key thing, but what you do tend to find is people that go around using the whole I went to a "Russell Group" tend to put managers and recruiter's off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending