The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Colleges

I've recently got an offer for Durham, and I'm quite concerned about ranking the colleges. I've did my own research but can anyone tell me some mainly female dominated colleges? I went to an all girls school for seven years and I would prefer that to live in that kind of environment.
hi sorry not really answering ur question, but what were ur predicteds? im waiting on a response from durham and am worried mine are too low - i'm predicted ABB :/
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jellyfish888
hi sorry not really answering ur question, but what were ur predicteds? im waiting on a response from durham and am worried mine are too low - i'm predicted ABB :/

i was predicted 3A*s, don't worry or stress about not hearing back, they are notorious for how late they are. as long as you somewhat meet the conditions u should be hearing back (hopefully!!!!) soon!
Reply 3
I think all the colleges are a roughly even split of male / female although I believe some of the self catered colleges may offer the option of single sex flats. My daughter is at Chads and main college and the houses are a mix of male / female students - there are no single sex corridors.
Reply 4
Original post by McKitty
I think all the colleges are a roughly even split of male / female although I believe some of the self catered colleges may offer the option of single sex flats. My daughter is at Chads and main college and the houses are a mix of male / female students - there are no single sex corridors.

Ah thank you so much! I think I may need to look more thoroughly into my top options!
Reply 5
St Mary's College (since 1899), then St Aidan's College (since 1947), then St John's College and Trevelyan College (since 1966 - the former was founded in 1909), then the College of St Hild and St Bede (since 1975, when it was founded, although from some 1800s buildings formerly used as colleges unrelated to the university), seem to have the most history in catering to women. However the much newer Josephine Butler College is named after a feminist.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Picnicl
St Aidan's College, then St Mary's, then St John's, then Trevelyan College, then St Hild and St Bede, seem to have the most history in catering to women. However the much newer Josephine Butler College is named after a feminist.

Thank you! 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🥹
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you! 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🥹

Edited slightly now
St Mary’s has all girl wings according to a YouTube I watched. So is mixed but a couple of all girl corridors.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I've recently got an offer for Durham, and I'm quite concerned about ranking the colleges. I've did my own research but can anyone tell me some mainly female dominated colleges? I went to an all girls school for seven years and I would prefer that to live in that kind of environment.
Hey, you might find messaging people on Durham's unibuddy website helpful. It's got people who are currently at Durham who can help you with questions and stuff.
Other than that all I know is st Mary's has a very feminine history, although it is now mixed.
Hope that helps
Original post by McKitty

may I ask if you would know what are the chances of sharing a room? are there many shared rooms?
Reply 11
Sharing a room at Chads? I think about 75-80% of first years share - it is very much the norm.

Quick Reply

Latest