The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Kingston - Law and Criminal Justice

I've been offered a place to study law and criminal justice at Kingston. As it is a relatively new course, I can't seem to find the graduate prospects for the course. Can anyone tell me what they're like and if it is worth doing the course itself?
Hi!

First off - big congratulations on your offer, and it's great to hear you're thinking about studying at Kingston!

As you said yourself, Law and Criminal Justice (LLB) is a relatively new degree at Kingston, and so doesn't have a completely accurate set of graduate statistics yet. I have looked into similar courses (such as Law (LLB) and Criminal Justice (BSc)) at Kingston University which do have data sets, and they show roughly 75% and 90% of graduates in work or full time employment within 15 months of graduation respectively. However, this data was collected from 2021-2022, and so admittedly might be a bit skewed with the COVID situation.

In terms of what sort of career you could pursue after completing the course, it's really up to you. Some Law students come into the course now with the intention of taking the SQE and qualifying as a solicitor straight after they finish, whilst others discover pathways and graduate programs that they might not have previously thought of before, such as working for the Probation Service, local authorities or international human rights groups like Amnesty International.

Personally, I find Kingston's Careers and Employability Service to also be a really useful tool in helping decide which path to take post-graduation - from the moment you enrol as a student, you can book an appointment with a Careers Advisor specific to your faculty who can talk you through any options you might be considering and give you guidance on how best to go about them. During your course, you'd also take part in an Assessment Centre experience, which would help prepare you for the world of work and give you personalised, industry-specific feedback on how to improve your interview and recruitment technique. I've been to one or two of these myself already, and I know students get a lot out of them in terms of securing internships or spots on competitive grad schemes in the future - so if you decide to study here, definitely make sure to get the most out of those services!

The whole UCAS application process can be a bit stressful, and it's unique to every student - so it's hard for me to say completely unbiasedly if a certain course at a certain university is right for you. What I would recommend is reading through the modules for your course on the KU course page and seeing if they're something you'd enjoy studying, and weighing the pros and cons of each university you receive an offer from. Furthemore, Kingston usually hosts offer-holder days around March-time where you can come, see the facilities and try out a typical day on your course: more info here. If you want to find more about the course, talk directly to one of the lecturers or just get a feel for the place, I'd recommend coming along to one of these - it was at my offer-holder day I made the decision to come here myself!

I hope I've provided you with a bit more clarity - and if you've any more questions about Kingston Uni in general, feel free to drop me a reply below! :smile:

Eve (Kingston Rep).
(edited 3 months ago)
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending