The Student Room Group

Choosing a University

I've applied to the following schools for university:

1) [Offer] University of Surrey - Law with Criminology (LLB Hons)
2) Swansea University - Law with Criminology (LLB Hons)
3) Royal Holloway - Law (LLB)
4) [Offer] University of Essex - Law with Criminology (LLB)
5) [Offer] University of Law - Law with Criminology (LLB Hons)

I know I want to chose Surrey as my solid choice but I don't know which university to place as my back-up option. What are people's opinions on the other universities?
Original post by Zeris
I've applied to the following schools for university:

1) [Offer] University of Surrey - Law with Criminology (LLB Hons)
2) Swansea University - Law with Criminology (LLB Hons)
3) Royal Holloway - Law (LLB)
4) [Offer] University of Essex - Law with Criminology (LLB)
5) [Offer] University of Law - Law with Criminology (LLB Hons)

I know I want to chose Surrey as my solid choice but I don't know which university to place as my back-up option. What are people's opinions on the other universities?

Hi @Zeris!🤩

Essex Law School is ranked 3rd in UK for research power in law (Times Higher Education research power measure, REF2021) and Top 50 for Law in THE World University Rankings by Subject 2023.

Our LLB Law with Criminology provides you with a rigorous academic training in the discipline of law integrated with criminology. This gives you a thorough grounding in current issues in criminal law and criminal justice in a wider social context. We emphasise an awareness of how the law of England and Wales is placed in European and international frameworks.👩*💼👩*🎓

You develop a critical awareness of the nature of law within its social, political and economic contexts. Not only will you learn legal rules, but you also consider the function of law in society, the philosophy of law, policy issues and law reform. You explore and debate the difficult questions such as should crime be punished? How do we prevent crime? Providing you with the ability to consider, evaluate and respond to alternative and, possibly, conflicting points of view.

The key areas Law and Criminology are:
-Government power;
-Criminal liability;
-Policing and punishment;
-Crime and the media;
-EU law.

If you enrol at Essex you will be given the opportunity between your second and third year of university to study abroad at one of our renowned university partnerships or do placement year at a institution of your choice.🌎

Essex Abroad: Study Abroad | University of Essex
Essex Placement Year: Work placements and Work Based Learning | University of Essex

Essex has special facilities for Law students such us:
-The Essex Law Clinic where you can use your knowledge and skills to give legal advice to the community and help those most in need of legal services;
-Work on key human rights projects at our Human Rights Clinic ;
-Join our Model United Nations society, which can improve your skills of argumentation, oral presentation and research;
-Network at our student-run Law Society, Human Rights Society, and Bar Society;

We are hosting a mini open day 20th January 2024 where you can have a look at all the facilities and accommodations, speak with current students and have a fell of what looks like to study at Essex.
Open day Link: Open Days | University of Essex

I hope this information makes your decision easier and if you have any questions don't hesitate in messaging me !

Essex Official Rep- Cat 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending