The Student Room Group

criminology

What is the difference between UK criminology and US criminal justice, for example I want to do a degree in criminal justice in america but was thinking about doing a criminology applied diploma before, would that be a good idea?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ericwintermyfav
What is the difference between UK criminology and US criminal justice, for example I want to do a degree in criminal justice in america but was thinking about doing a criminology A level before, would that be a good idea?

There is no criminology A level, here is a list of all available A levels:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Advanced_Level_subjects
(edited 1 year ago)
I meant the applied diploma, sorry!
I meant the applied diploma, sorry!

Oh! Well, criminology looks on why people do crime, what leads them to do it and how society acts around it. While criminal law focuses on how the legal system acts towards crime and how this legal system operates. Hope this helps :smile:
What is the difference between UK criminology and US criminal justice, for example I want to do a degree in criminal justice in america but was thinking about doing a criminology applied diploma before, would that be a good idea?

An American Criminal Justice degree is essentially for a person who wants a career either in law enforcement (the police and related careers) or some other part of the criminal justice system outside of being a practising lawyer. These degrees tend to have a lot of content around criminal law, the legal system, and whilst they have some criminology content, they can be quite procedural.

British criminology degrees - as someone else said above are a cross between sociology and psychology but focusing on criminal behaviours.
I want to go to the US for college to study criminal justice, what a levels from the uk would be best for this?
Original post by Trinculo
An American Criminal Justice degree is essentially for a person who wants a career either in law enforcement (the police and related careers) or some other part of the criminal justice system outside of being a practising lawyer. These degrees tend to have a lot of content around criminal law, the legal system, and whilst they have some criminology content, they can be quite procedural.

British criminology degrees - as someone else said above are a cross between sociology and psychology but focusing on criminal behaviours.
Reply 6
I want to go to the US for college to study criminal justice, what a levels from the uk would be best for this?

I don't know a great deal about US college admissions. To the best of my knowledge, all offers are unconditional and our system of A-levels is completely different from their High School GPAs. As I understand it, it doesn't matter that much as long as (a) your grades thus far are decent and (b) you have a ton of money. Alternatively, you can bypass all of that if you're good a sports - and especially if you are female as under Title IX, colleges have a lot of scholarship money to give out for women.

My own advice would be not to do it. If you aren't an American, and you have no designs on a top drawer college, then there is nothing to gain and everything to lose. A criminal justice degree is general isn't exactly the apogee of achievement. It would be like paying tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds to go from here to the US to study undergraduate business studies at Demontfort or Southampton Solent.

Do you actually have some kind of plan in place as to what you want to do?
(edited 12 months ago)
Original post by Trinculo
I don't know a great deal about US college admissions. To the best of my knowledge, all offers are unconditional and our system of A-levels is completely different from their High School GPAs. As I understand it, it doesn't matter that much as long as (a) your grades thus far are decent and (b) you have a ton of money. Alternatively, you can bypass all of that if you're good a sports - and especially if you are female as under Title IX, colleges have a lot of scholarship money to give out for women.

My own advice would be not to do it. If you aren't an American, and you have no designs on a top drawer college, then there is nothing to gain and everything to lose. A criminal justice degree is general isn't exactly the apogee of achievement. It would be like paying tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds to go from here to the US to study undergraduate business studies at Demontfort or Southampton Solent.

Do you actually have some kind of plan in place as to what you want to do?

I would like to be in the police force in the US due to the Uk (apparently, I have been told by friends in the police) being very underfunded, and a lot of my friends have gone to the US to study, and to be in the police in the US you have to have at least a green card which means you have to be there 5 years so going to college is basically essential. I am predicted all 9's at GCSE and with the sport thing I have been to the national finals for athletics and field hockey, I am also in the Royal College of Music junior department but I'm not sure they give out scholarships for music-related things. I have researched the funding, and I think scholarships are basically the only way I am able to afford it, although I do have some sponsors in the UK that have offered to pay for some of my tuition.
Reply 8
I would like to be in the police force in the US due to the Uk (apparently, I have been told by friends in the police) being very underfunded, and a lot of my friends have gone to the US to study, and to be in the police in the US you have to have at least a green card which means you have to be there 5 years so going to college is basically essential. I am predicted all 9's at GCSE and with the sport thing I have been to the national finals for athletics and field hockey, I am also in the Royal College of Music junior department but I'm not sure they give out scholarships for music-related things. I have researched the funding, and I think scholarships are basically the only way I am able to afford it, although I do have some sponsors in the UK that have offered to pay for some of my tuition.

There are three things going on here at once - college, Green card and the police.

College:
If you're a half decent athlete, then getting into a Liberal Arts college should be no problem at all for you. You can sign up today with a sports scholarship agency - it's usually free to start with. NSCA is one that my sister used, but there are loads. If you upload a couple of videos and put on some decent photos as well as your achievements, it's a fairly safe bet that within weeks or even days there will be colleges looking to offer you a place, and some of them will have scholarships. Now - let's be clear, they might not be the best colleges, or the most fun colleges, and they might not even be that good at your sport - but they will have places and money. Being British is a massive plus as it means they can legally ask you to commit to them early as US law on these things doesn't apply to you. If you are female, then that's a massive bonus again due to Title IX funding. The way these agencies work is a bit like Linkedin. You won't get very good access without paying, but you will get something.

Green Card / citizenship:
If you are on a student visa, you will get kicked out the country if they think you are going to stay. The entire point of a student visa is to get money out of you while you are in the US, and then make sure you leave. There is no actual pathway to Green card on a student visa and your time living in the US as a student will not count. By far and away the easiest route is to marry an American.

Police:
First off, most US police departments don't hire Green Card holders. You would have to be a citizen. Second - the idea that US police departments aren't underfunded is mad. They're mostly in the same boat as anywhere else, if not worse, and in the large east and west coast states like Washington, California, Oregon and New York there are considerable "defund the police" movements where they are actively trying to take as much money away from police as possible. It's important to also make the distinction between the layers of police in the states - there are city/municipal police which range from tiny departments of a few people in small rural towns right up to enormous bodies like the NYPD or LAPD. Then there are county Sheriffs who police everything that isn't covered by the city cops, and also run the county jails. These can be quite powerful departments as Sheriffs are elected officials and they can cover areas that you would often think of as city. The LA County Sheriff's Office has 10,000 deputies, making it larger than any police force in England other than the Met. Then there are State Police who cover everything not covered by the Sheriffs -usually the roads, but can include things like the Texas Rangers. Then above all that there are Federal law enforcement bodies like the US Marshals Service, FBI, Secret Service, ATF and DEA. The processes for all these bodies and how they run can be quite varied. For example, small town police might be on minimum wage and have to supply their own gun. Another thing to bear in mind is that for a lot of police departments, you have to pay for your own uniform and your own training. Often you have to attend a police academy at your own expense - with no guarantee of a job at the end.

Honestly, if you're not an American, and you want to be a police officer - I would 100% recommend staying here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending