The Student Room Group

How do i get work experience at law firms?

to anyone out here that has done that, hopefully in scotland. what was your route for entering that? Wanting to hopefully shadow someone
Hi! I'd recommend reaching out to law firms near you (e.g. in your nearest town or city) and asking if you can shadow someone. There are also more formal placements on offer at lots of the more major law firms in London, however these are often for people who have been eligible for free school meals, have a low household income, have been in care, etc., so might not be something you can access. Sites like Speakers for Schools and Uptree also sometimes advertise law placements on them too 🙂 If you are in year 12, lots of unis offer free summer schools as well, e.g. via Sutton Trust, so if you are wanting general law experiences, these might be of interest to you!
Reply 2
Original post by lawofducks123
Hi! I'd recommend reaching out to law firms near you (e.g. in your nearest town or city) and asking if you can shadow someone. There are also more formal placements on offer at lots of the more major law firms in London, however these are often for people who have been eligible for free school meals, have a low household income, have been in care, etc., so might not be something you can access. Sites like Speakers for Schools and Uptree also sometimes advertise law placements on them too 🙂 If you are in year 12, lots of unis offer free summer schools as well, e.g. via Sutton Trust, so if you are wanting general law experiences, these might be of interest to you!

Well i’m up in Scotland but thanks anyway
Original post by Ivy.Anderson
to anyone out here that has done that, hopefully in scotland. what was your route for entering that? Wanting to hopefully shadow someone
Hey @Ivy.Anderson 😀 I'd recommend what @lawofducks123 has suggested first - contact local solicitors close to you to see if they'd be happy to have you in for a day or two. Maybe ask your school if they know any local companies that have hosted some students in the past?

The other thing you could consider for some Law experience is attending cases at the Sherrif/High Court. Generally court cases are open to the public and that could be a good way to gain some wider knowledge and experience. There's a wee bit more info on that here: Visitors (scotcourts.gov.uk) 🤝

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 4
Original post by Ivy.Anderson
Hey!

I think that you could reach out to high street firms and firms such as Dentons or Addleshaw Goddard (these are just two firms off the top of my head but there are more) that have established practices in Scotland. Usually, these firms recruit formally through vacation schemes or work placements but it is worth shooting them an email enquiring whether they would take you on for a couple of days so that you could get some practice. If you are looking for more law firms to apply to, Commercial Law Academy's "law firm profiles" includes profiles of firms that might also have offices in Scotland.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending