The Student Room Group

Law

I wanna go into coorperate law but it’s such long hours and so much work like barely any free time apparently . And i wanna have some me time not just work work and stress so i don’t know what i wanna do now or if i even wanna go into law
Original post by Jsjskscjosjejs
I wanna go into coorperate law but it’s such long hours and so much work like barely any free time apparently . And i wanna have some me time not just work work and stress so i don’t know what i wanna do now or if i even wanna go into law
Hi, I am studying law and I really enjoy it. I have done some extra research on the working hours of Corporate lawyers and will share some links that will hopefully be helpful. With the 2nd link I suggest focusing on Attorney Chuck's answer.
https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/lawyer-working-hours
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-hours-for-a-corporate-lawyer
https://www.buckworths.com/day-in-the-life-of-a-corporate-lawyer/
It is highly likely that as a lawyer you would not be working average 9-5 days however, how long over the 9-5 you work can depend on location, how big the firm is, whether you are working in-house (within the legal department of a corporation) and also which firm you work for. Some firms have more of an understanding of the importance of work-life balance than others. I would recommend doing some research before coming to a conclusion and maybe even explore some different areas of law. Hope this is helpful 🙂

Sophie (Student Ambassador)
Original post by YSJstudents
Hi, I am studying law and I really enjoy it. I have done some extra research on the working hours of Corporate lawyers and will share some links that will hopefully be helpful. With the 2nd link I suggest focusing on Attorney Chuck's answer.
https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/lawyer-working-hours
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-hours-for-a-corporate-lawyer
https://www.buckworths.com/day-in-the-life-of-a-corporate-lawyer/
It is highly likely that as a lawyer you would not be working average 9-5 days however, how long over the 9-5 you work can depend on location, how big the firm is, whether you are working in-house (within the legal department of a corporation) and also which firm you work for. Some firms have more of an understanding of the importance of work-life balance than others. I would recommend doing some research before coming to a conclusion and maybe even explore some different areas of law. Hope this is helpful 🙂

Sophie (Student Ambassador)

Hii,

Thankyou so much for your detailed answer you helped clear it up for me x
I appreciate it xx also what area of law are you studying ?
Hii,

Hi there

I am a final year law student, so far I am really enjoying the degree. :smile: Although I am undecided on what area I want to go into, hopefully I can give some insights.

I agree and would echo the advice above. :smile: From attending insight events, I have also heard that the larger more popular firms will often involve over-time work. Though there will be some firms that pay more attention to work-life balance. It would really depend on which firm you go into, so research is always recommended. :biggrin:
Corporate and commercial law will definitely be some of the busier fields in the practice of law. My company law lecturers have often mentioned having to work longer hours as commercial lawyers.

I think studying and practicing law can be quite different, until you go into practice, you will not usually be able to get hands on experience. In terms of research, I would really recommend listening to insights from paralegals, or lawyers at firms. You should be able to find few of these events online: LegalCheek for example have quite a few events that are really useful.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by University of Kent
Hii,

Hi there

I am a final year law student, so far I am really enjoying the degree. :smile: Although I am undecided on what area I want to go into, hopefully I can give some insights.

I agree and would echo the advice above. :smile: From attending insight events, I have also heard that the larger more popular firms will often involve over-time work. Though there will be some firms that pay more attention to work-life balance. It would really depend on which firm you go into, so research is always recommended. :biggrin:
Corporate and commercial law will definitely be some of the busier fields in the practice of law. My company law lecturers have often mentioned having to work longer hours as commercial lawyers.

I think studying and practicing law can be quite different, until you go into practice, you will not usually be able to get hands on experience. In terms of research, I would really recommend listening to insights from paralegals, or lawyers at firms. You should be able to find few of these events online: LegalCheek for example have quite a few events that are really useful.

I hope this helps.
Chloe

Hi, I’m really glad to hear that you’ve been enjoying your degree :smile: and yes I completely understand I’ve heard the same aswell and yes at the end of the day it boils down to the firm you work at .

Thankyou very much for your help btw x
Also can you give me a a few volunteer/ work experience suggestions that would look good on my uni cv and perhaps help me get into law ? I’m in year 12 and I literally have no work experience or extra curricular it’s rlly bad
Hi there

I hope this helps.
Chloe

Hi, I’m really glad to hear that you’ve been enjoying your degree :smile: and yes I completely understand I’ve heard the same aswell and yes at the end of the day it boils down to the firm you work at .

Also can you give me a a few volunteer/ work experience suggestions that would look good on my uni cv and perhaps help me get into law ? I’m in year 12 and I literally have no work experience or extra curricular it’s rlly badHi there

Great to hear that you are starting to look for experience so early on. Year 12 is still really early, do not worry! It is normal for students not to have much work experience at this stage, but it could always help to get a head start:

If possible, the first one would be to look at legal work experience. (This will be really difficult for larger firms, and opportunities are quite limited- perhaps you could do some research into Firm Insight days, these might be useful if you are able to commute to large firms.)

On the other hand, I think it is easier to secure legal work experience locally. I secured mine by actively emailing local firms and enquiring about volunteering opportunities. Still I understand that these can be difficult to find, depending on the area you are in.

Another way of boosting your employability would be to gain some virtual experience. I think signing up to Vantage, Legal Cheek are good- these are good platforms to get involved with firm hosted webinars, there will often be a panel of professionals who will talk about their career paths and although this is not work experience- it could give you a better understanding of what law is like.

Many law firms will offer virtual work opportunities- just go onto their website, and you will be able to locate these. Alternatively, I think Vantage is a good website for securing legal related experiences. Online MOOCs are another good source.
In my opinion, in person opportunities are really good- even if they are not legal based. Jobs or volunteering can boost your CV as they will be classed as transferrable skills. (I think for law, this is especially important if you are not able to get hold of in person legal opportunities). :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

I hope this helps.
Chloe

Also can you give me a a few volunteer/ work experience suggestions that would look good on my uni cv and perhaps help me get into law ? I’m in year 12 and I literally have no work experience or extra curricular it’s rlly bad
Hi there

Great to hear that you are starting to look for experience so early on. Year 12 is still really early, do not worry! It is normal for students not to have much work experience at this stage, but it could always help to get a head start:

If possible, the first one would be to look at legal work experience. (This will be really difficult for larger firms, and opportunities are quite limited- perhaps you could do some research into Firm Insight days, these might be useful if you are able to commute to large firms.)

On the other hand, I think it is easier to secure legal work experience locally. I secured mine by actively emailing local firms and enquiring about volunteering opportunities. Still I understand that these can be difficult to find, depending on the area you are in.

Another way of boosting your employability would be to gain some virtual experience. I think signing up to Vantage, Legal Cheek are good- these are good platforms to get involved with firm hosted webinars, there will often be a panel of professionals who will talk about their career paths and although this is not work experience- it could give you a better understanding of what law is like.

Many law firms will offer virtual work opportunities- just go onto their website, and you will be able to locate these. Alternatively, I think Vantage is a good website for securing legal related experiences. Online MOOCs are another good source.
In my opinion, in person opportunities are really good- even if they are not legal based. Jobs or volunteering can boost your CV as they will be classed as transferrable skills. (I think for law, this is especially important if you are not able to get hold of in person legal opportunities). :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe

Hi ,

Yes that really helped me Thankyou so much <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending