The Student Room Group

A-level maths help!

Hello, Is this a further maths question because I just do A-level maths and I have never come across a question that takes about a revolution because I just thought that this was a normal integration with parametrics.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 1
I'm not sure it's possible to be sure without context.

To me the most "natural" way of doing it is to know/derive that the volume of revolution is ππ/4π/2y2dxdtdt\pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} y^2 |\frac{dx}{dt}| \, dt which I think would be FM.

But you could also just work out y in terms of x and treat as a normal A-level volume of revolution question (which wouldn't require anything in the FM syllabus).

I'd suggest you try the second approach.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by DFranklin
I'm not sure it's possible to be sure without context.

To me the most "natural" way of doing it is to know/derive that the volume of revolution is ππ/4π/2y2dxdtdt\pi \int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} y^2 |\frac{dx}{dt}| \, dt which I think would be FM.

But you could also just work out y in terms of x and treat as a normal A-level volume of revolution question (which wouldn't require anything in the FM syllabus).

I'd suggest you try the second approach.

There is nothing to do with the volume of a revolution on the Edexcel specification for A-level maths and I have never been taught it.
Reply 3
Original post by skyeforster15
There is nothing to do with the volume of a revolution on the Edexcel specification for A-level maths and I have never been taught it.

Well in that case I don't see how it can be on your syllabus (also not sure why you asked the original question). It was definitely on my A-level syllabus but that was quite a while ago.
Reply 4
It's one of the main things that was moved out of C4 and into further maths with the new syllabus, PMT seem to have accidentally left quite a few of them in their new spec resources though unfortunately!
Reply 5
Original post by DFranklin
Well in that case I don't see how it can be on your syllabus (also not sure why you asked the original question). It was definitely on my A-level syllabus but that was quite a while ago.

I asked because that was meant to be an A-level mock exam that PMT made for Edexcel A-level maths so I was just taken by surprise and thought maybe I did need to know it or something.
Reply 6
Original post by Interea
It's one of the main things that was moved out of C4 and into further maths with the new syllabus, PMT seem to have accidentally left quite a few of them in their new spec resources though unfortunately!

Thank you, I was panicking for a minute because I had never seen anything like this before.

Quick Reply

Latest