The Student Room Group

pls help

hello , i am a year 11 students whos currenlty stressing alot obout my upcoming exams in less than 2 months i feel as if i started too late and my grades are not the best . i have started doing alot of revsion but cannot manage with every subject . currently for english language i am thinking of my story but dont know how i should start it off with . what will be the best advice for me and how do u think i could improve myself within this time
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by ash192
hello , i am a year 11 students whos currenlty stressing alot obout my upcoming exams in less than 2 months i feel as if i started too late and my grades are not the best . i have started doing alot of revsion but cannot manage with every subject . currently for english literature i am thinking of my story but dont know how i should start it off with . what will be the best advice for me and how do u think i could improve myself within this time
Do you mean English Language? You don't have to write a story for English Literature. The creative writing piece is English Language Paper 1 (fiction) and English Language Paper 2 (non-fiction)
Reply 2
Original post by jilliams44
Do you mean English Language? You don't have to write a story for English Literature. The creative writing piece is English Language Paper 1 (fiction) and English Language Paper 2 (non-fiction)

yes actually thats what i meant i got confused as i was focusing on something else while writing this but thank you for tell me.
Original post by ash192
yes actually thats what i meant i got confused as i was focusing on something else while writing this but thank you for tell me.

That's alright! I just wanted to check so I could give the right help :smile:
Are you struggling with the non fiction or fiction writing?
Reply 4
That's alright! I just wanted to check so I could give the right help :smile:
Are you struggling with the non fiction or fiction writing?

yep thats totally fine . i'm struggling with fiction.
Original post by ash192
yep thats totally fine . i'm struggling with fiction.

Ah okay! That's my favourite, I got full marks on the fiction. If you really struggle, this is what my friend did (who also struggled).

Basically the exam board want to tick off lots of things, they aren't really looking for a good storyline. The best thing to do is create some pre-made paragraphs crammed with techniques.

For example, I created a paragraph describing a little girl, it was filled with similes, metaphors, sibilance etc (Make sure you have a semi-colon as this is so important for some reason). Then bascially learn that parahraph off by heart and when you open the paper, it will tell you to write a story about xyz and you already have a main character description.

Setting is harder becasue you might get a specific setting already, for example in my year we had to write about a zoo or a depiction between animal and human. Therefore, I would research synonyms for key words. For example, I learnt at least one synonym for each colour e.g. green to viridescent.

You don't want to fill your writing with direct speech as it can be seen by the examiner as a way out so I only included one line.

Another easy way to get marks is by using a cyclical structure. All you need to do is echo the beginning and the ending, you could use weather here to get bonus methods of pathetic fallacy.

I hope this is helpful and if you need any more help just ask anything!
If you ever did a practise one I'd be happy to read it and look over it too.
Reply 6
Ah okay! That's my favourite, I got full marks on the fiction. If you really struggle, this is what my friend did (who also struggled).

Basically the exam board want to tick off lots of things, they aren't really looking for a good storyline. The best thing to do is create some pre-made paragraphs crammed with techniques.

For example, I created a paragraph describing a little girl, it was filled with similes, metaphors, sibilance etc (Make sure you have a semi-colon as this is so important for some reason). Then bascially learn that parahraph off by heart and when you open the paper, it will tell you to write a story about xyz and you already have a main character description.

Setting is harder becasue you might get a specific setting already, for example in my year we had to write about a zoo or a depiction between animal and human. Therefore, I would research synonyms for key words. For example, I learnt at least one synonym for each colour e.g. green to viridescent.

You don't want to fill your writing with direct speech as it can be seen by the examiner as a way out so I only included one line.

Another easy way to get marks is by using a cyclical structure. All you need to do is echo the beginning and the ending, you could use weather here to get bonus methods of pathetic fallacy.

I hope this is helpful and if you need any more help just ask anything!
If you ever did a practise one I'd be happy to read it and look over it too.

Hello , sorry for replaying late as I don’t mostly check my social but wanted to say that was very helpful . I am currently writing out my story haven’t finished yet but when I do I would be very happy for u to have a read of it . And thank you once again for that .
Original post by ash192
hello , i am a year 11 students whos currenlty stressing alot obout my upcoming exams in less than 2 months i feel as if i started too late and my grades are not the best . i have started doing alot of revsion but cannot manage with every subject . currently for english language i am thinking of my story but dont know how i should start it off with . what will be the best advice for me and how do u think i could improve myself within this time
Im not the best person to give advice as I always leave revision last minute (by last minute i literally mean a week earlier) but when I have started revising 2 months earlier as a final year college student it's helped a lot to plan out my revision. Decide how many hours u wanna take revising on one subject for example 2 hours on maths, 1 hour on geography depending on what ur struggling on the most. I'd recommend starting on the topics u struggle on the most and leave the easy topics to go over last but thats just what works for me. Always ask for help from ur teachers for revision sources that will help u the most. Go through all the powerpoints ur teachers have uploaded of lessons and make sure youre going through past papers at least every day so you know what youre likely going to be asked. If I think of anything else i'll lyk. Also watch videos on youtube going over questions ur struggling on.

Quick Reply

Latest