The Student Room Group

Will I get disqualified?

I recently just did my year ten mocks, I was revising for the maths paper 2. My sister in year 11 did the same test that I did and she gave it to me to look over. I only looked at it briefly the night before and didn’t really think about it. However I think my maths teacher found out, it wasn’t my intention to cheat and I’m a good student. I am worried that I’m going to get disqualified for it, and I know my parents would be really mad. Would I be disqualified?
Reply 1
Firstly, How would your teacher know if you had cheated? It's most likely a empty threat and even if you had cheated the maths teacher would have no proof and in order to be disqualified the maths teacher will Need to have proof.
Reply 2
also adding to first reply
its only a mock
and u cant help ur sister did the same test it happenes to many also mocks r alwayz past papers
Original post by Bea3
I recently just did my year ten mocks, I was revising for the maths paper 2. My sister in year 11 did the same test that I did and she gave it to me to look over. I only looked at it briefly the night before and didn’t really think about it. However I think my maths teacher found out, it wasn’t my intention to cheat and I’m a good student. I am worried that I’m going to get disqualified for it, and I know my parents would be really mad. Would I be disqualified?

The worst that will happen is your teacher might give you another exam. You are only 'disqualified' in a real GCSE exam.
Reply 4
Original post by EagerE
Firstly, How would your teacher know if you had cheated? It's most likely a empty threat and even if you had cheated the maths teacher would have no proof and in order to be disqualified the maths teacher will Need to have proof.

I’m not sure how she knows since I only looked at one of the papers and that score was only slightly higher than the other, but should I be honest or just lie about it?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
The worst that will happen is your teacher might give you another exam. You are only 'disqualified' in a real GCSE exam.

I know it’s only a mock but a few people got disqualified for just turning around in the exam
did you know it was going to be your paper?
if so then technically it is cheating, but you did say you only looked at it briefly then forgot, that's different to those that force themselves to memorise or write it down somewhere
otherwise, you were just revising and didn't realise the school were going to give both of you the same exam although on separate days
Original post by Bea3

I don’t think you need to worry especially as this is your Year 10 mocks rather than Year 11. Also if your teachers are using past papers that are from the exam board websites then anyone can use them as well so some people in your year might have already seen the paper as well. By looking at the paper already - all it really does is give you an idea of the questions and as it was the night before you didn’t really have the time to solely revise what’s on the mock. All in all, I wouldn’t worry about it - I’m about to do my A-Level exams and so I use past papers to help revise and my teachers do use past paper questions for my mocks so I wouldn’t call it cheating - mocks are there to help desensitise you to the real exams and gives you the chance to practice a full paper in exam conditions and it’s there to help your teachers see where’s there’s a gap on students knowledge so they can go back over it.
Original post by Bea3

I don’t think you need to worry especially as this is your Year 10 mocks rather than Year 11. Also if your teachers are using past papers that are from the exam board websites then anyone can use them as well so some people in your year might have already seen the paper as well. By looking at the paper already - all it really does is give you an idea of the questions and as it was the night before you didn’t really have the time to solely revise what’s on the mock. All in all, I wouldn’t worry about it - I’m about to do my A-Level exams and so I use past papers to help revise and my teachers do use past paper questions for my mocks so I wouldn’t call it cheating - mocks are there to help desensitise you to the real exams and gives you the chance to practice a full paper in exam conditions and it’s there to help your teachers see where’s there’s a gap on students knowledge so they can go back over it. They’re also there to help you see where you need to revise more so don’t worry that you’d seen the paper beforehand either :smile:
Original post by Bea3
I know it’s only a mock but a few people got disqualified for just turning around in the exam

What exam? Turning round is not enough in a real GCSE - you'd have to be communicating. [Btw I'm a teacher so do know]

Quick Reply

Latest