The Student Room Group

kinda cheated on accident

so i finished my comp sci gcse on the igcse cambridge course and i accidentally typed into the search bar on the bottom left out of habit (if i struggle on a past exam q in revision i would usually ask the answer inthe bottom right) i did it out of habit, i know the examiner did not see as i type on a laptop, do they check search history if they see do not see a reason not to? as it is my first exam i dont think the others will be disqualified, but i am unsure, i did not even use the information in the question, so am i completely ****ed?
I'm a bit confused. CIE IGCSE Computer Science is not taken on a computer. It's two papers. Why were you on a computer?
Reply 2
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I'm a bit confused. CIE IGCSE Computer Science is not taken on a computer. It's two papers. Why were you on a computer?

I have almost unreadable handwriting- I only use it on maths papers
Reply 3
Original post by harveer07
so i finished my comp sci gcse on the igcse cambridge course and i accidentally typed into the search bar on the bottom left out of habit (if i struggle on a past exam q in revision i would usually ask the answer inthe bottom right) i did it out of habit, i know the examiner did not see as i type on a laptop, do they check search history if they see do not see a reason not to? as it is my first exam i dont think the others will be disqualified, but i am unsure, i did not even use the information in the question, so am i completely ****ed?

I want to ask, though. Was this an online exam or in-person exam? This will make a massive difference.

Assuming you sat the exam in-person, then what I say below applies:

Did you have access to the internet? I am not certain on this, but I believe exam regulations for laptops, state that you cannot have any access to the internet at any point. If they discover your laptop had access to the internet during the exam, then could assume you cheated and disqualify you.

So, yes, there is a possibility they could discover you cheated based on your internet access, that you shouldn't have had in the first place.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
The possibility they could spot it is high.
And there is no ‘kinda’ here you did cheat.
If you get caught cheating worrying about your papers being disqualified doesn’t even touch the extent, universities tend not to accept people who have cheated in the past.
Reply 5
my exam was in person I did not even use what I looked up in the question, since comp sci Cambridge is the only exam board that Cambridge is involved in will only my comp sci be void, or all of my GCSEs since this is my first exam I can only see comp sci, what do you think?
Reply 6
my exam was in person I did not even use what I looked up in the question, since comp sci Cambridge is the only exam board that Cambridge is involved in will only my comp sci be void, or all of my GCSEs since this is my first exam I can only see comp sci, what do you think?

When you say search history and search bar, are you referring to a web browser? If you just used the local search bar on Windows to look up a file on your computer, it's unlikely they would flag that up unless the invigilator spotted you using it during an exam. Though, I don't quite believe your story that you brought a file up but didn't use it. You would have to specifically enter its name or tap on the file from the search bar, so it's an intentional action.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Doesn’t matter if you used the information or not, you cheated by trying to find information for the exam that would give you an advantage over your peers.
If you get caught this is your fault, you knew you shouldn’t have done it yet you did it anyway.
Reply 8
Personally, I think you'll be fine. Provided you didn't have access to the internet, you should be fine.

Plus, isn't it your laptop anyway that you took home? If so, the only way they could check if you cheated is if the invigilator saw you.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Baleroc
When you say search history and search bar, are you referring to a web browser? If you just used the local search bar on Windows to look up a file on your computer, it's unlikely they would flag that up unless the invigilator spotted you using it during an exam. Though, I don't quite believe your story that you brought a file up but didn't use it. You would have to specifically enter its name or tap on the file from the search bar, so it's an intentional action.

I specifically mean the windows bar- it also searches the I ferner I believe on Bing, now that I think about it the computers were probably connected to the internet in order to connect to the school system, is it better for me to confess or to wait until results day, since I did not take a file that would give me an answer but looked it up habitually as I would if I were to look up a answer as in a past paper, I did not look up the answer to the question directly- it was me looking up the unit for pressure as I would need a certain amount of pascals for a sensor to work within the 6 mark answer
Reply 10
I specifically mean the windows bar- it also searches the I ferner I believe on Bing, now that I think about it the computers were probably connected to the internet in order to connect to the school system, is it better for me to confess or to wait until results day, since I did not take a file that would give me an answer but looked it up habitually as I would if I were to look up a answer as in a past paper, I did not look up the answer to the question directly- it was me looking up the unit for pressure as I would need a certain amount of pascals for a sensor to work within the 6 mark answer

I strongly recommend you stay quiet unless you are confronted about it, if there is proof you did not use it (i.e. there is no reference to it in your exam) then you should get off lightly.
Reply 11
Original post by Autumn223
I strongly recommend you stay quiet unless you are confronted about it, if there is proof you did not use it (i.e. there is no reference to it in your exam) then you should get off lightly.

Would there be less of a punishment if I did come clean- e.g one gcse paper gone instead of both papers
Reply 12
Would there be less of a punishment if I did come clean- e.g one gcse paper gone instead of both papers

I doubt it would make a significant difference, it’s obvious its eating you up so if it genuinely was a mistake they may never find it. If someone asks you thats when you come clean, as long as you don’t lie if you get asked.
Reply 13
Original post by Autumn223
I doubt it would make a significant difference, it’s obvious its eating you up so if it genuinely was a mistake they may never find it. If someone asks you thats when you come clean, as long as you don’t lie if you get asked.

I thought they don’t ask- I got told by teachers that on results day you just get given a 0 if you get caught, and you aren’t told if you get caught for something like this where the invigilators do not see but if you get caught some other way- is this true?

Quick Reply

Latest