The Student Room Group

An Inspector Calls

I'm doing an assignment on An Inspector Calls by J.B Priestley, I really like the play but there is a particular section on the assignment that I'm stuck on.

I know that the Inspector is used by Priestly as a dramatic device but does anyone know how he does the following:
A) Moves the story forward by manipulating and controlling the plot.
B) Creates dramatic tension (moments of intensity or tension on stage). He gets the others to confess and face up to their crimes.
C) Presents Priestley's central themes/concerns about society at that time. (collective responsibilty/ conscience, class, money etc)
D) Engages the audience (keeps them interested, points out the faults of Birling's philosophy.)

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could write about them? Thanks in advanced! :smile:
Reply 1
by the way the inspector is a ghost
Reply 2
kayecollins

lol
Reply 3
Hello, Are you talking about the movie or the book, there different and could cost you marks if write about one or the other.

regards
Reply 4
is this for your english gcse, are you producing an essay or is it notes for your exam
Reply 5
well i no a website which you could use its really usefull and i used it when i was doing an inspector calls if you want the address it might help you with your questions
Reply 6
i thought it was a great book.

J.B Priestley creates dramatic tension with the fact that they aare all conected to this girl. And at the end, they are going to repeat the evening.
Reply 7
kayecollins
well i no a website which you could use its really usefull and i used it when i was doing an inspector calls if you want the address it might help you with your questions

Hey, could I have the website address? By the way, I heard that there is the movie version of it. Do you know where I can purchase it? Thanks!
Reply 8
kayecollins

I sinercly hope you were attempting to be funny.
Reply 9
Does this by unraveling each of the characters stories individually - each time we think everyones guilt is discovered a new secret is revealed, keeps the audience in suspence.
Points out the faults of Birling's philosophy using dramatic irony - eg when he talks about the Titanic and about Hitler - 'Dramatic Irony' important phrase to say lots! Also emphasises the message by juxtaposing Eric and Sheila's reactions with the older Birlings. The Inspector is also uses Biblical type language eg 'fire and blood and anguish'.. ( plus thats a magic three if you're talking about language used too)

Latest

Trending

Trending