The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't think private/state makes a difference. Once you've got an interview you're on level pegging with everyone else and the most intelligent will get in.
OllyH
I don't think private/state makes a difference. Once you've got an interview you're on level pegging with everyone else and the most intelligent will get in.

Still, wouldn't you get a sense with private school applicants that daddy just paid for interview coaching? And that they just apply because everyone else at the school applies? It annoys me when people think that. :s-smilie: I hope interviews are transparent anyways.
Reply 82
Chike_Obi_soulman
Not true

hence the title "the official oxbridge rumour thread"

people write RUMOURS they have heard, we don't need other people going around stating the untruthfullness in them.:rolleyes:
Stop randomly putting "Official" in the thread title. You've ended up contradicting yourself - if it were official (and, therefore, Oxbridge had sanctioned it) then it wouldn't be a rumour.
timelordess
Still, wouldn't you get a sense with private school applicants that daddy just paid for interview coaching? And that they just apply because everyone else at the school applies? It annoys me when people think that. :s-smilie: I hope interviews are transparent anyways.

I dunno, I don't think interview coaching can prepare you for a cambridge interview. My school put on some practise ones. (not for my course, but for most others and they were pretty irrelevant asking the cliched weird oxbridge questions.) I would hope all oxbridge interviews are set up so that an applicants intelligence and passion for the subject is gauged, not how much they had prepared for it.

The part where state/private makes a difference would be actually getting an interview in terms of getting the right grades/ applying in the first place.
anyarian
hence the title "the official oxbridge rumour thread"

people write RUMOURS they have heard, we don't need other people going around stating the untruthfullness in them.:rolleyes:

How do you know that his stating of the untruthfullness is not in fact a rumor. Or indeed how do we know you know that people write rumours they have heard, that may be a rumour itself. :p:
OllyH

The part where state/private makes a difference would be actually getting an interview in terms of getting the right grades/ applying in the first place.

But then everyone knows that grades don't matter.

So

Officially, :rolleyes:

Private vs. state does not matter?

Solved! :p:
Reply 87
Andy the Anarchist
You need at least 5 A*s at GCSE to apply
Certain colleges are easier to get into than others
They don't like state school students

They like state school kids now. They have been made not to like private school kids.
jgoggs1
Separate the two pieces of both bourbon and custard cream, and re-attach them with an opposite pair, using the same model with the cream filling. Spatial and problem-solving skills shown, as well as an awareness of the importance of race relations.

Hahahahah. Repped.
Andy the Anarchist

They don't like state school students

Thats a complete lie, its about 50/50 state schools and private schools there!
tbh let's just stop this state v private debate, because what are the chances of an admin tutor doing this:

Admin tutor 1: Well she's got relevant work experience, good GCSE and AS level results, her PS is outstanding and I think she's got the potential to do good here at Cambridge.
Admin tutor 2: Oh, but look, she's from a state school. In private they are taught in a similar way to our supervisions, so she might not fit in.
Admin tutor 1: True, let's chuck it in the bin. Give her a rejection. Right, next applicant...
mizzsnazzter

Yeah, but they only let us in so that they can have the traditional annual 'pauper hunt' in May Week. They used to use bedders but they complained, so they started admitting state school pupils.
mizzsnazzter

You may think that's fair, but when it comes down to the statistics, for it to be fair it should be state:tongue:rivate at a ratio of:

8:92, as only 8% of sixth form students are in private education.

To condense these figures its a ratio of:

2:23

So for every 2 private schoolers that get in, 23 state schoolers should get in to make it a fair system, as if 50% of sixth form students was privately educated, your figures would be right; but because it's only 8% that are privately educated, 2:23 is a fair figure.
im so academic
You may think that's fair, but when it comes down to the statistics, for it to be fair it should be state:tongue:rivate at a ratio of:

8:92, as only 8% of sixth form students are in private education.

To condense these figures its a ratio of:

2:23

So for every 2 private schoolers that get in, 23 state schoolers should get in to make it a fair system, as if 50% of sixth form students was privately educated, your figures would be right; but because it's only 8% that are privately educated, 2:23 is a fair figure.

Utter rubbish, you need to be comparing the percentages that apply to the percentages getting in, and iirc the statistics are pretty similar. (ie. The same percentage of state school students applying recieving offers is roughly the same percentage as that of private school pupils get in)
Nintendus
Its true, I slipped up on the tea cosy questions - but in my defence its not that easy to recover from a cricket ball to the face.

Hehe!
OllyH
Utter rubbish, you need to be comparing the percentages that apply to the percentages getting in, and iirc the statistics are pretty similar. (ie. The same percentage of state school students applying recieving offers is roughly the same percentage as that of private school pupils get in)

Receiving offers and getting in are two different terms as one may get an offer of AAA and get AAB, and therefore does not get into Oxbridge.
im so academic
Receiving offers and getting in are two different terms as one may get an offer of AAA and get AAB, and therefore does not get into Oxbridge.

Ok, replace getting in with recieving an offer in my post.

Obviously though one has to consider why as a percentage less state school pupils apply to oxbridge.
I heard they take you to a forest during the interview and ask you to determine the ages of random trees and rocks.
Reply 98
BJack
Your whole post serves as a perfect explanation of why you were undeserving of a place. Furthermore, all sorts of well-qualified candidates from many different types of school are rejected, including this incredibly bitter chap from Harrow.

"I am more than happy to concede that A levels are a bit soft so make them harder. Give the young and determined people of this country a way of proving themselves to other people as well as universities."

"I just cannot work out what else I could have done. I must have spent more than a thousand hours, over five years, sat at my desk trying to learn the facts, figures and phrases that would allow me to get the best marks and grades in the best subjects."

arrogant :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:. He must have done crap in the admissions test because all he knew was facts...those type of people put you off Oxbridge...well...actually no...he's not going there is he :rolleyes:
Kalashnikov
I heard they take you to a forest during the interview and ask you to determine the ages of random trees and rocks.

That's for geology of course, for medicine you will be asked to dissect a human body and extract every organ out of it then arranging them in size order (smallest first) on the table before carefully putting them back in anatomically the right place, all in less than 30 minutes.

Latest

Trending

Trending