The Student Room Group

A Level Options for Medicine

I want to aim for the top unis including Oxford and Cambridge. I am set on Chemistry and Biology and for my third subject, I am thinking of Business. Will these 3 be good enough for the top unis or would it be better to opt for Physics?

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
reconsider if oxbridge is right for you, it is VERY tough to get into and doing soft subjects like business generally won't cut it. its medicine as well lol which makes it so much harder. cambridge recommend that you take at least 3 science a levels. even if you don't take a science one as your third, business won't look too good: its like the easiest subject ever. if u cant handle the tough stuff like the sciences and maths and still get A*s all around, oxbridge isn't for you..
Reply 3
Original post by ismaelishere
reconsider if oxbridge is right for you, it is VERY tough to get into and doing soft subjects like business generally won't cut it. its medicine as well lol which makes it so much harder. cambridge recommend that you take at least 3 science a levels. even if you don't take a science one as your third, business won't look too good: its like the easiest subject ever. if u cant handle the tough stuff like the sciences and maths and still get A*s all around, oxbridge isn't for you..
hi i understand that completely, would u say i should opt for physics or maths? i had a 9 in both but its been a couple years since ive done both. Which would give me the higher chances to get A* in
Original post by na1050
hi i understand that completely, would u say i should opt for physics or maths? i had a 9 in both but its been a couple years since ive done both. Which would give me the higher chances to get A* in

that depends on ur personal aptitude, but i would say maths in general.
Calling business a soft subject is crazy - most unis (e.g. Imperial, UCL) won't care about what your third subject is just the grades... But OP you will need maths or physics for med oxbridge...
OP if I were you I would take business and maybe maths/physics as a 4th subject and then dropping one after researching whether you would get into med oxbridge bc it is so competitive... Also consider other med schools an A* in Business is more impressive than an A in maths/physics (esp considering that they don't care what your third subject is)
Original post by toothysmile
Calling business a soft subject is crazy - most unis (e.g. Imperial, UCL) won't care about what your third subject is just the grades... But OP you will need maths or physics for med oxbridge...

how is it crazy? it is one of the most easiest a levels. (relative to everything else) and ye unis outside oxbridge dont care which is why i said to reconsider oxbridge. oxbridge want to see that u can do the hard stuff. also no point in doing 4 a levels, business isnt relevant for medicine.
how is it crazy? it is one of the most easiest a levels. (relative to everything else) and ye unis outside oxbridge dont care which is why i said to reconsider oxbridge. oxbridge want to see that u can do the hard stuff. also no point in doing 4 a levels, business isnt relevant for medicine.
Firstly saying it is the easiest A-level is subjective - it differs on each person, I personally find maths the easiest A-level and all essay writing subjects challenging, that is your opinion and med schools are also aware of this and think all A-levels are the same...
Secondly Oxbridge med don't want business A-level because they see business as an easy A-level. They just want you to do sciences because they're a science heavy course and so by doing science A-levels you can show you are interested and are good at this in this (not because they want to see you do 'hard stuff', they can use UCAT scores to see if you have an aptitude for med).
Doing 4 A-levels and dropping is very common - you can see which subjects suit you the best if you're having trouble deciding and if you're managing - continue doing so, a lot of Oxbridge applicants do do 4 A-levels...
Also Business is very important in medicine - think management of the NHS (which is a huge issue in healthcare) and health economics, public health, etc... All of which is related to Business A-level
Also you were literally asking for advice on this forum about a-levels for med/dent couple of days ago so I don't think you are the best person to be giving out advice.
Reply 9
Original post by na1050
I want to aim for the top unis including Oxford and Cambridge. I am set on Chemistry and Biology and for my third subject, I am thinking of Business. Will these 3 be good enough for the top unis or would it be better to opt for Physics?
For Oxford- you can do any third subject. For Cambridge you definitely need maths.
Firstly saying it is the easiest A-level is subjective - it differs on each person, I personally find maths the easiest A-level and all essay writing subjects challenging, that is your opinion and med schools are also aware of this and think all A-levels are the same...
Secondly Oxbridge med don't want business A-level because they see business as an easy A-level. They just want you to do sciences because they're a science heavy course and so by doing science A-levels you can show you are interested and are good at this in this (not because they want to see you do 'hard stuff', they can use UCAT scores to see if you have an aptitude for med).
Doing 4 A-levels and dropping is very common - you can see which subjects suit you the best if you're having trouble deciding and if you're managing - continue doing so, a lot of Oxbridge applicants do do 4 A-levels...
Also Business is very important in medicine - think management of the NHS (which is a huge issue in healthcare) and health economics, public health, etc... All of which is related to Business A-level
Also you were literally asking for advice on this forum about a-levels for med/dent couple of days ago so I don't think you are the best person to be giving out advice.

i get what you r saying but from the many accounts i have heard, and my own experience with business, it is generally an easier a level with a low amount of content and generally is a lot of common sense. business in medicine is niche and wont help med skl in general whereas science builds more useful skills. though i underestimated its relevance. also my post was to hear ppls opinion on a very specific and ultimately irrelevant issue, but its fact that 3 sciences help for oxbrdige (no matter the reason they prefer it), dont need to be a genius to know that. plus UCAT tests for different skills than a levels, u arent learning content for UCAT. in terms of taking 4 a levels, u dont need to do a few business classes to know its not gonna help oxbridge entry much. u can ask the unis urself whether taking 4 a levels is better than 3, i have asked and they say it wont have an impact. so dont take it from me, take it from them. unless u mean to say they lie?
i get what you r saying but from the many accounts i have heard, and my own experience with business, it is generally an easier a level with a low amount of content and generally is a lot of common sense. business in medicine is niche and wont help med skl in general whereas science builds more useful skills. though i underestimated its relevance. also my post was to hear ppls opinion on a very specific and ultimately irrelevant issue, but its fact that 3 sciences help for oxbrdige (no matter the reason they prefer it), dont need to be a genius to know that. plus UCAT tests for different skills than a levels, u arent learning content for UCAT. in terms of taking 4 a levels, u dont need to do a few business classes to know its not gonna help oxbridge entry much. u can ask the unis urself whether taking 4 a levels is better than 3, i have asked and they say it wont have an impact. so dont take it from me, take it from them. unless u mean to say they lie?
i don't know what to tell you but you're wrong and I can' be bothered to correct you...
Original post by na1050
hi, i would suggest to do Maths rather than Business for third A-level since Business can be considered a bit weaker. Also consider doing a fourth A-level-- Physics since Medicine is an incredibly competitive course and you should try to differentiate yourself as much as possible
i don't know what to tell you but you're wrong and I can' be bothered to correct you...
please do. Na1050 would appreciate it.....we r all here to learn knowledgeable one....and if u cant sacrifice a bit of time to help those in need what kinda person does that make u?
Reply 14
Original post by na1050

The hard facts show that for both Oxford and Cambridge the majority of students for Medicine had A* in Chemistry, Biology and Maths. These are the subjects you will need to do if you want any chance of getting in. All universities prefer you to have sciences/maths. If I was looking at applications and the applicant had Business as their 3rd subject I would see that as a red flag. It is not worth the risk.
Hello,

I think if you want to keep your chances high, I would suggest doing Maths as your third subject. I have spoken to some of my friends and they highlighted that Maths is easier than physics but just as recognised.

Best of luck,
Haya- MBBS V
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 16
Original post by t_boy356
For Oxford- you can do any third subject. For Cambridge you definitely need maths.
For Cambridge, you need 3 STEM, but does not need to be maths. It could just as well be physics.
Reply 17
Original post by nutz99
The hard facts show that for both Oxford and Cambridge the majority of students for Medicine had A* in Chemistry, Biology and Maths. These are the subjects you will need to do if you want any chance of getting in. All universities prefer you to have sciences/maths. If I was looking at applications and the applicant had Business as their 3rd subject I would see that as a red flag. It is not worth the risk.
Cambridge prefer maths/physics as your 3rd for med, but not other med schools. They really don’t care what the subject is, as long as you get a top grade in it.
Reply 18
Original post by na1050
I think it is better for you to opt for physics instead of business.
Reply 19
Original post by lalexm
Cambridge prefer maths/physics as your 3rd for med, but not other med schools. They really don’t care what the subject is, as long as you get a top grade in it.

Try taking PE or Media Studies as a 3rd subject and see how far your applications gets you. The harder the A level, the stronger your application is. Other universities may not state a preference on their entry requirements but it's there whether it's written or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending