The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because Oxbridge isn't the be-all-and-end-all of life? There's actually an outdoors, as much as some of you refuse to believe.
Reply 2
go away cruiform.
cruciform
I mean look at the economic climate. IB's can take all they need from Oxbridge, so why bother applying for an IB if you didn't go there?

Can I ask, what Uni are you at/is your first choice/intend to go to??
because whether or not you were a lazy 16yrold has no bearing on your skills from 21+
Reply 5
because they can?
Reply 6
LSE? Imperial? UCL?
Reply 7
Oxbridge is a lot, but it isn't everything my brother
LOL at the OP's ridiculous assumption that more academically gifted students/Oxbridgers will indefinitely be better peforming in terms of profitability, social networking and having a bigger pair of balls in order to prosper in the industry than graduates from other good economics/maths/physic's departments in different universities (obv talking top 25 though!)...
Reply 9
doggyfizzel
Exactly, I though LSE was the breeding ground for bankers, Imp isn't exactly a second rate uni either. Glad people still put UCL up there :woo:

Arguably the geographical connections in the capital vastly improve the chances for London graduates.
Reply 10
Cass Business School
Reply 11
number of economists in my cambridge college: 15.

number who got internships: 0.

conclusion: oxbridge is ****.
Reply 12
MalcomNewMoney84
lol at the OP's ridiculous assumption that more academically gifted students will indefinitely be better peforming in terms of profitability, social networking and having a bigger bear of balls to prosper in the industry than graduates from other good economics/maths/physic's departments in universities...

that's well put.
Reply 13
So if a much better candidate (comes across better in an interview, has more extra curriculars, more work experience and does the job better) comes from the likes of Imperial/LSE/UCL/Warwick/Durham/Bristol/Notts etc etc they should be completely disregarded for not having 'Oxford/Cambridge' on their CV?
Reply 14
Haz313
So if a much better candidate (comes across better in an interview, has more extra curriculars, more work experience and does the job better) comes from the likes of Imperial/LSE/UCL/Warwick/Durham/Bristol/Notts etc etc they should be completely disregarded for not having 'Oxford/Cambridge' on their CV?

i think the point he was making is that the best candidates come from oxbridge, so what you're suggesting does not happen.
Chewwy
number of economists in my cambridge college: 15.

number who got internships: 0.

conclusion: oxbridge is ****.

I do hope that's a belated April Fools joke.
Reply 16
I'd probably feel better about going to Aston!!
BetterThanHeaven

I know two philosophers who got summer internships with Goldman Sachs here.

I don't know any economists on whose luck to comment.
because they can which is a fact :smile:
Reply 19
BetterThanHeaven

Why? Lol. Having Cambridge on your CV doesn't guarantee you an internship. Maybe some of them didn't want to get into IB? Maybe they didn't do well in the interview?..

Latest

Trending

Trending