The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

FIRSTLY i would like to say not all students from private schools are snobby! so LadyFadge could you not refer private schools to snobby school. NikNak - what you said about private schools changing us to idiots? really nice of you! you would never go to a private school? how do you know its that bad when you never been to one? were not all snobby stuck up people!
YES i go to a private school and we have a state school in the same area and they all call us 'snobby' 'posh' 'stuck up' when they dont even know us!
so why dont you all stop calling people that recevie private education snobby!
i know people from etan etc. and there not snobby! yes ill admit there are snobby people out there but not all of us!
Reply 21
PRIVATESKLGIRL
FIRSTLY i would like to say not all students from private schools are snobby! so LadyFadge could you not refer private schools to snobby school. NikNak - what you said about private schools changing us to idiots? really nice of you! you would never go to a private school? how do you know its that bad when you never been to one? were not all snobby stuck up people!
YES i go to a private school and we have a state school in the same area and they all call us 'snobby' 'posh' 'stuck up' when they dont even know us!
so why dont you all stop calling people that recevie private education snobby!
i know people from etan etc. and there not snobby! yes ill admit there are snobby people out there but not all of us!

Yeah I do apologise, I didn't mean to apply my comments across the board but meant that most people like brasil85 come from a private school. I find it quite funny that he thinks he is so superiour to everyone else when his grades and attitude obviously don't support it. I pity people like him.

I personally wouldnt want to go to a private school because I believe in our state education system. I went to a fantastic school and sixth form which probably had smaller class sizes then most private schools (average 5-6 people per class for a-levels).
Reply 22
thefish_uk
yeah but a lot probably are

is your school just a private one or one with selection based on ability?

I left my school over a year ago, it was private and was technically selective, but not seriously so - they had an entrance exam but it was more of an assessment; they'd let in anyone with the money. I was on an assisted place, and there were a few people there who had a very distorted view of reality, but most people were normal enough. It's just idiots like brasil who give the whole lot a bad name.
from the sounds of it that brasil guy doesnt sound abit posh to me and is trying to be someone who he truly isin't!
honestly, yeah i am posh but i dont consider myself snobby and i know alot of people who don't go to private schools, were not all stuck up thats all im trying to get across to people who seem to have a 1 sided view on people who come from private schools.
and by the way most private schools that i know of have tiny classes! my maths set has 5 people in it. just to let you know.
Reply 24
it's amazing how many assumptions can be made when you declare that you got to a private school, and how far you can be stereotyped.

first, ppl think you are rich - maybe your parents work 80hr weeks without holidays so that their children can get what they believe to be a good education? maybe (not that this is true of myself) the school has offered scholarships to promising students which has enabled them to afford the fees?

secondly, your exam results are ridiculed as only being achieved because you went to a private school. maybe, just maybe, you worked for those results, and had the intellectual capacity to succeed. maybe your school does not produce sheets of good grades, but well-rounded individuals with a wide range of interests.

thirdly, you are thought to act posh and don't associate with working class ppl. maybe you are from a working class background but you together with your parents decided that a private school education was worthwhile. and maybe, even if you are from a "higher class" background, you just don't practise class discrimination.

fourthly, it is assumed you are white until someone meets you face to face, when actually the private school you go to is far, far more multicultural than any other school, state or private.

this topic comes up time and time again. there are countless occasions when i am treated utterly normally until it somehow crops up that i go to a private school. all i ask is that ppl stop making assumptions (which often sound like accusations), and either get to know the person better or keep an open mind.
Reply 25
jigar
it's amazing how many assumptions can be made when you declare that you got to a private school, and how far you can be stereotyped.

this topic comes up time and time again. there are countless occasions when i am treated utterly normally until it somehow crops up that i go to a private school. all i ask is that ppl stop making assumptions (which often sound like accusations), and either get to know the person better or keep an open mind.

NO
Reply 26
There are too many maybes here, which leads me to believe that there are lots of maybe nots. I would say that the idea of both parents working an 80 hour week is insane, it may happen, but not to fund their child to go to private school

If someone has the intellectual capacity to suceed at private school, surely they would at a usual comprehensive school.

Of course people that go private school are going to be branded posh, quite simply because the majority are. I know no one that goes to any private school, and in fact I wouldn't want to, as I would feel that the private school boy/judge would judge me in a traditional view, as class divisions obviously exist even today.

I think jigjar is an idiot, his point made as he is a private school child.

Idiot.
Reply 27
I think he's not the only idiot round here.
your the idiot gayboy09 ive tried to be nice to people who have a one sided view on private school students but u really are an idiot!!!
Reply 29
Helenia
I think he's not the only idiot round here.

I agree Helenia, he is not the only idiot here, the other idiot being YOU.

You would automatically align yourself with another private schoolboy, being educated privately yourself. Congratulations, idiot, you have displayed class warfare. I will now alert you that the working class makes up the majority of this country, any war you do intend to wage shall not be won on the premise of numbers.
Reply 30
i don't want to sound arrogant, but i must say that i never judge anyone else or call them idiots. i don't ask a medal for this, but i just don't think you can call someone an idiot if you disagree with them on an issue.

i also cannot understand how someone who has got to know you, found out everything about you, your interests, viewpoints and everything...can suddenly change their attitude as soon as they find out you go to a private school.
Reply 31
Damn, I knew I was going to put my foot in it on that one. However, agreeing with jigar does not make me a class warrior. He makes a very good point; although I don't actually know any kids whose parents worked 80 hour weeks to keep them there, it's perfectly possible that there were some.

You say that you've never met anyone from private school - if this is the case then how on earth can you pass judgement on the entire population of them? "The majority" aren't posh. There are a lot who have more money than most, (myself not being one of them) but that doesn't automatically make them posh. And I know almost nobody who would look down on someone just because they went to a state school! It's an awful cliché, that I know nearly all private schoolkids use, but here (Cambridge) my two best friends are a guy from a very upmarket boys boarding school and a girl from a very normal comprehensive. They're both great, and nobody cares what school we come from.

Your prejudice against us would seem blatantly far worse than ours against you (which most of us don't actually have)
Reply 32
I was born like this, I can't help it. You don't understand what priavte school do to you
Reply 33
It is my view ok. I understand other people's view. So understand my view on this.
Reply 34
jigar

i also cannot understand how someone who has got to know you, found out everything about you, your interests, viewpoints and everything...can suddenly change their attitude as soon as they find out you go to a private school.

You have missed my point clearly, I haven't said that schooling the ultimate determines a person's personality.

If you took the time to actually READ any of my previous replies, you would see the angle I am coming from, but typical private schooling attitude - "I have read one, now I know it all"

Idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 35
Helenia

You say that you've never met anyone from private school - if this is the case then how on earth can you pass judgement on the entire population of them? "The majority" aren't posh. There are a lot who have more money than most, (myself not being one of them) but that doesn't automatically make them posh. And I know almost nobody who would look down on someone just because they went to a state school! It's an awful cliché, that I know nearly all private schoolkids use, but here (Cambridge) my two best friends are a guy from a very upmarket boys boarding school and a girl from a very normal comprehensive. They're both great, and nobody cares what school we come from.

Your prejudice against us would seem blatantly far worse than ours against you (which most of us don't actually have)
Reply 36
I have never said "private schooled people are posh", I sed the majority are branded posh.
Again, I will re-iterate what I have just said to Jigar:

"If you took the time to actually READ any of my previous replies, you would see the angle I am coming from, but typical private schooling attitude - "I have read one, now I know it all"
PRIVATESKLGIRL

hmm... I go to a state grammar and people call us posh even though none of us are. They're just jealous - the competition to get in is extremely hot and they know we're so much more intelligent than they are.
i have so much to say on this topic but i really cant be bothered because i know people such as gayboy09 have a 1sided view about students from private schools!
Reply 39
gayboy09
Idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

either you didn't read the first half of my previous post, or you decided to purposely evade the point i was making, instead exaggerating your exclamation. either way, i'm leaving this thread, not because i do not believe i have a good point, but because as an idiot i am sure i am not worthy of debating this issue with you. and for the record, your tone says more than the actual point you're trying to make.

Latest

Trending

Trending