The Student Room Group

Why are state educated people looked down on?

Why is it that students who attend state schools are looked down on and perceived as being less intelligent than their privately educated counterpart?

People can't help being working class or coming from less privileged backgrounds, and yet they are looked down because of this ignorant attitude.
Reply 1
In my experience, snobbery in every form is essentially insecurity manifesting outwardly.
Lack of respect and humility for people in non-privileged social background. You can't expect acceptance by these privileged people with a restricted view on life.
Original post by Kallisto
Lack of respect and humility for people in non-privileged social background. You can't expect acceptance by these privileged people with a restricted view on life.

It goes both ways
Original post by Little pecker
It goes both ways

Of course. Life gets easier without prejudices and ignorance. Most people never get it in their life.
Reply 5
The answer as to why state educated children are looked down on is obvious.

They are on average shorter that those who are privately educated.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 6
Because if you're a parent paying tens of thousands for education for your children, there is zero benefit to you to even want to countenance that intelligence is in overlapping Venn Diagrams of type of schooling. Or those that do countenance certainly will have little reason to consider if social intelligence always more resides in the privately educated. Understandably as the social (of a kind) intelligence of inhabiting often old and beautiful buildings is no doubt a real one.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by username6653303
Why is it that students who attend state schools are looked down on and perceived as being less intelligent than their privately educated counterpart?

People can't help being working class or coming from less privileged backgrounds, and yet they are looked down because of this ignorant attitude.

I think this sketch sums it up perfectly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W34CsPPw5uM
Reply 8
Original post by hotpud
I think this sketch sums it up perfectly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W34CsPPw5uM

I've always loved that sketch.
Reply 9
Original post by Little pecker
It goes both ways

True.
Reply 10
Original post by Kallisto

But then ironically, reverse snobbishness is rife. There is little respect for the uppers by the lowers. Acceptance needs to come from all sides. But that said, given those who have everything do very little to make the world a better place doesn't help their cause.
Reply 11
Original post by username6653303

Who are you referring to 'looks down' on state educated people?

7% of people in the UK have been privately educated (The Sutton Trust, 2019), so this somewhat limits the number of people in society with the capacity to 'look down' on people who were state educated. (i.e. of those 7%, what percentage are actually conceited enough to think like that?)

In fact, I would argue that the more likely scenario is that a portion of the 93% of state-educated people either consciously or subconsciously perceive that being privately educated means you are more intelligent, rather than the other way around. The possibility of this means it is likely that the reverse argument "they must think we are less intelligent" is potentially formed by state-educated people, just like this post here suggests.

There are pockets of elite society who perhaps subconsciously subscribe to the "less intelligent" argument, some examples of this are potentially privately educated Oxbridge students (rather than the institutions - they are doing so much better than 10 years ago in regards to class-wide accessibility), and some right-wing politicians.

The cold harsh reality is that if you're in a situation where someone really does think like that, and it costs you the chance of a job or a chance to make some friends at university etc, then it is definitely not the right job for you (if the hiring manager thinks like that - which by the way - is probably about 1/1000000 chance they do), and certainly not the right group of people to acquaint yourself with.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by hotpud
But then ironically, reverse snobbishness is rife. There is little respect for the uppers by the lowers. Acceptance needs to come from all sides. But that said, given those who have everything do very little to make the world a better place doesn't help their cause.

People who are define themselves by their social status and position in society is a general issue for our co-existence. I don't like this competitive thought as little as like you. And I don't care whether it comes from upper or lower class, from educated or stupid people, it is idiotic anyway.
Reply 13
Original post by hotpud

The fact that you regard it OK to regard some people as better ('upper') because of the circumstances they're born in to rather than their achievements beyond what can normally be reasonably expected shows why those who deem themselves upper should never be respected by those they deem lower.
Reply 14
Original post by Picnicl
The fact that you regard it OK to regard some people as better ('upper') because of the circumstances they're born in to rather than their achievements beyond what can normally be reasonably expected shows why those who deem themselves upper should never be respected by those they deem lower.

With respect, I never said it was OK. But the fact remains, pretty much everyone positions themselves relative to those they aspire to being like and those they look down on. Everyone does it at some level. Whether you wish you got the same grades as the best performing student or were cool like the cool kids or famous like your favourite celeb or glad you don't live on "that" estate. Everyone compares themselves to others. You only have to look at these forums to see how many people want to go to top universities so they can get top jobs. Why? Because the perceive earning lots of money as being successful. Pretty unhealthy if you ask me. Wealth is not the same as success in my view.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending