The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Boddington?

Anyone living at Boddington? I really like the sound of it but the distance thing is bugging me.

I'm going to be studying medicine so I'll be having 9am lectures every day (aparantly... unless they're just saying that to scare me) and I know the traffic sucks in the mornings... realistically how long would it take me to get there on time? Because I've heard a lot of different things. Do many medics live at Boddington?

So, what do you think? Anything anyone can tell me would be helpful. Like how much time do you spend travelling every day on average? What's it like in a best and worst case scenario? Is it a good place to live?

Also considering Lupton, Montague Burton or possible Clarence Dock so any info on them is also good.
Reply 1
allodoxa
Anyone living at Boddington? I really like the sound of it but the distance thing is bugging me.

I'm going to be studying medicine so I'll be having 9am lectures every day (aparantly... unless they're just saying that to scare me) and I know the traffic sucks in the mornings... realistically how long would it take me to get there on time? Because I've heard a lot of different things. Do many medics live at Boddington?

So, what do you think? Anything anyone can tell me would be helpful. Like how much time do you spend travelling every day on average? What's it like in a best and worst case scenario? Is it a good place to live?

Also considering Lupton, Montague Burton or possible Clarence Dock so any info on them is also good.

I had friends at Bod, and they were leaving at 8 to be in uni for 9 (mainly because of the rush hour traffic along Otley Road)

I also knew a couple of medics, and yes it is 9 o'clock starts every morning I'm afraid. :frown:

Bod seems to have one of the best atmospheres though, all the people I knew who lived there really liked it, and just complained about the distance.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/article.php?a=83 for some info on Clarance Dock. Also this thread (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t102482.html) for some general opinions on the other places.

Hope this helps
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Thanks thats helpful :smile:

For anyone else wondering I've just been told by someone who currently lives there that the best bus to catch to get in for 9am lectures is at 8:20. Not tooooo bad I suppose. Hmm. :confused:

I really can't decide. :frown:
Reply 3
I was at Bodington in my first year and the distance is a killer! I wish someone had told me what a nightmare travelling on the busses every day was going to be! Not only is it an irritating drain on your money which can be more usefully spent in the pub-but it takes 40 minutes to get into uni on a morning for a 9 o clock lecture and when they do turn up-they tend to be packed.
on the +ve side...there's quite a good atmosphere cos there are so many people- but if you don't have much money and don't like getting up too early to get to lectures-i wouldn't bother with bodington.
the majority of people i know who went there hated it!
Reply 4
Arg :frown:
Reply 5
maybe i was a little harsh!! the self catered flats were nicely kitted out compared to some of my friends pads-i was in mcclurkin and it was really nice-think they've decorated it since as well so shud be looking cool.
don't just use the 95 bus- u can get the number 1 which drops u off on the main road outside. and the 28 to adel drops off at the back entrance to bod. make sure u get yourself a first bus pass for the term-it helps out so much when u dont have any money. if u can try n blag one from your fam for a birthday pressie or something!
Reply 6
Its ok, i'd rather know the truth! So if you could go back in time would you pick somewhere else instead? Where would you go?
Reply 7
Depends what you want from your accomodation realy I suppose.... looking back I think what I wanted/needed was internet/close to uni/and generally non scrubby flats. At the time i couldn't be arsed getting in my form for accomodation so ended up at bod!
My mate was at Montague Burton and that seemed pretty cool-maybe it was just a case of 'the grass is greener'-but it's close to uni, has the net and the rooms were pretty cool. anywhere further away than about ten mins walk from uni just becomes a pain and when it comes to those rainy/windy/snowy days u retreat to the warmth of the busses-but they cost and the traffic thru headingly is a bugger!! All of this is IMHO of course!!
Reply 8
Hmmm, been thinking about it and might go for Montague Burton or Lupton instead, they are better location but also cheap-ish and with net access. Thing is I just wanted to live somewhere sociable and friendly and was kinda worried that those two dont have common rooms or anything so it might be hard to make friends :s