The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Career prospects for Uni of Leicester?

I'm doing Medical Biochemistry at Leicester next year. I really like the course and the uni at Leicester, but haven't been able to find any information on its career prospects. I was wondering how much employers target students from UoL and in my subject?

I think that I would have more chance of employment if I graduated from the unis that I rejected (Manchester, Nottingham and Birmingham) as they are more 'well known' and all emphasised on how much employers respect them and targeted their undergraduates on their open days, but I hope I'm wrong!
I know that it's a bit early for me to start thinking about employability, but I'm just wondering :wink:

Also a side note, during my time at Leicester, what sort of part-time jobs are there within the uni/student union? Are they competitive?
Reply 1
Original post by whotosee
I'm doing Medical Biochemistry at Leicester next year. I really like the course and the uni at Leicester, but haven't been able to find any information on its career prospects. I was wondering how much employers target students from UoL and in my subject?

I think that I would have more chance of employment if I graduated from the unis that I rejected (Manchester, Nottingham and Birmingham) as they are more 'well known' and all emphasised on how much employers respect them and targeted their undergraduates on their open days, but I hope I'm wrong!
I know that it's a bit early for me to start thinking about employability, but I'm just wondering :wink:

Also a side note, during my time at Leicester, what sort of part-time jobs are there within the uni/student union? Are they competitive?

Fraid I don't know about job prospects for your course (though we're ranked really high so would guess decent), all my mates who do biomed/med biochem/biochem want to be doctors so they're just fussed about what GEM courses think. I know a guy who does chem and is doing a year in indutry at AstraZeneca.

The Union jobs are mainly bar work (if you don't mind working late at night, until about 6 some nights but they are very sociable) and working in the Union shop/restaurant during the day. They're not particularly competitive, but they recruit at the end of the academic year for the following September so you could only do it from second year onwards. A lot of people work at the Tigers/Leicester City grounds for casual work.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Hi,

It's never too early to be thinking about employability! :smile:

I thought it might be helpful to know that we were voted one of the best universities in the country for students’ job prospects by users of the Whatuni.com website in their 2011 Student Choice Awards.

We offer a range of Employability courses and programmes to all of our students, which are designed to develop, assess, recognise and record employability skills. One notable example is the Leicester Award for Employability. You can read more about the award here

The only other thing to mention is that the Leicester Ambassador programme is a popular job on campus! This is casual work that includes helping to run events, working during open days. You can find out more for before you start on the website.

I hope that helps,

-Vic (Online Communications Officer)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending