The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1520
Original post by pompompandapple
I don't think I'll ever forget parsecs, seeing as we did so much work on it in class. :biggrin:

I HAVEN'T DONE ANY WORK ON THEM IN CLASS! and yeah I've read the bit about how they've come up in exams before, what are they? Do you know of a website which explains them? Pleeease help!
Original post by pompompandapple
I'm currently learning GCSE Chem and Bio right now. I don't think I'll ever forget parsecs, seeing as we did so much work on it in class. :biggrin:

I'm planning to go for all of the sciences. :smile:

I need to learn about them too. What are they actually?
Reply 1522
Is anyone going to the open day on the 5th September? I can't make that one but I think that there's one in in October (?)... can someone confirm this for me? thaaaaanks :O
Reply 1523
I'm going to the one on Monday 5th September! I'll tell you guys all about it :smile: Will I see any of you there? (Not that I would know if I did...)
Original post by Ralphyboy
I need to learn about them too. What are they actually?

It's basically a unit of length in astronomy. It's about 3.26 light-years. There's some more stuff I had written down in my notes, but I can't find the folder right now.
Reply 1525
Thanks, I'll see what google can tell me about them too :smile:
QUICK OPEN DAY QUESTION:

Whoever's going to the open day, it says it starts at 4pm (refreshments), but the headmaster's talk is at 5pm. I'm travelling a bit of a distance and I might have some other things to attend to that day that are unavoidable, so really is it ok to come at 4.30pm (because you are only going to wait around for an hour if you come at 4pm)? Or is that late.....
And when does it finish? :-) Anyone happen to know what's going to happen?
Reply 1527
Sorry I don't really know whats going to happen, presumably its just the talk then the tour, I'm going to get there around 4ish but I know other ppeople who are getting there later, between 4 and 5
Original post by oryx12
Sorry I don't really know whats going to happen, presumably its just the talk then the tour, I'm going to get there around 4ish but I know other ppeople who are getting there later, between 4 and 5

Thanks! :-)
Wish I'd had the opportunity to go to Westminster's 6th form :frown:
Reply 1530
Original post by oryx12

How was it?
Reply 1531
It was really cool, I kinda got the feeling we didn't get to see everything, but everything I did see was amazing, and the location is just too cool. The main thing was the opportuniy to talk to some of the teachers and students, who were all really friendly :smile: There were loads of people there though, it was packed! All I could think was this is far too much competition :/ But it was really fun.
Original post by oryx12
It was really cool, I kinda got the feeling we didn't get to see everything, but everything I did see was amazing, and the location is just too cool. The main thing was the opportuniy to talk to some of the teachers and students, who were all really friendly :smile: There were loads of people there though, it was packed! All I could think was this is far too much competition :/ But it was really fun.

How were the facilities and was the location pretty?
Reply 1533
Yeah the location was really pretty, it really is right in the center of town! The buildings where all kinda spread out though, and you had to walk around the streets to get to the science block, which was weird. The facilities all looked good, but the library was kind small :/
Original post by oryx12
Yeah the location was really pretty, it really is right in the center of town! The buildings where all kinda spread out though, and you had to walk around the streets to get to the science block, which was weird. The facilities all looked good, but the library was kind small :/

Did you see the language buildings? Or...well, whatever their version of it is?
Reply 1535
Did you have
Original post by oryx12

Did you have a tour of a boarding house? If yeah, how were the facilities in there? :smile: so annoyed I couldn't go to it. Do you know when the next one will be?
Reply 1536
Hey guys, I have a really important question about bursaries. I completed the Part A (Initial Assessment) Bursary Form like 2 weeks ago. (I require a boarding place btw)

Then yestereday, I received an e-mail to say the Part B (In-depth Assessment) will be sent to us by post. But it also said this: "I must advise you that it is most unusual for the School to grant a bursary so that a pupil may board."

I never knew you couldn't apply for a bursary if you wanted to board :/ and I defo could not afford the school fees w/o bursaries, so I am kind of shocked right now! I've already sent an e-mail to ask about the situation; but I thought some of you are going to board AND apply for bursaries too, so just wanted to see if any of you guys have the same problem!?
Original post by Cola_23
X

My sister applied to Westminister last year and needed a bursary to support the costs as she was applying as a Boarder like you too. You (or rather the e-mail) are right, in that Westminister only provide bursaries to cover the tuition fee costs and not of boarding.

In the end she was made an offer thankfully (as again the bursary covers this part) and we just switched her to be a day student - as whilst London/Westminster is about a 75 minute commute, my mother goes to work in London everyday anyways and so could drop my sister off nearby too (though she still has to take a bus to actually get from the drop-off location to the school itself). Not ideal, but hey you can't expect Westminister to pay for everything.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any other specific questions about my sister's financial circumstances.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by leckett
Did you have

Did you have a tour of a boarding house? If yeah, how were the facilities in there? :smile: so annoyed I couldn't go to it. Do you know when the next one will be?

Next year.
Reply 1539
Original post by MapleBacon
My sister applied to Westminister last year and needed a bursary to support the costs as she was applying as a Boarder like you too. You (or rather the e-mail) are right, in that Westminister only provide bursaries to cover the tuition fee costs and not of boarding.

In the end she was made an offer thankfully (as again the bursary covers this part) and we just switched her to be a day student - as whilst London/Westminster is about a 75 minute commute, my mother goes to work in London everyday anyways and so could drop my sister off nearby too (though she still has to take a bus to actually get from the drop-off location to the school itself). Not ideal, but hey you can't expect Westminister to pay for everything.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any other specific questions about my sister's financial circumstances.

Thanks for the info! So in the end, did she get 100% bursary to cover all the tuition fee costs?

Latest

Trending

Trending