The Student Room Group

Is my teacher being too harsh or is it just me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by osama2
hi guys my teacher said that this was a C grade piece of work.
can you please read this and mark it out of 15. this is AQA English literature and is on Of Mice and Men. the question was:
How do you think Steinbeck uses the character of Candy in the novel as a whole to convey important ideas about society at that time? (15) (PART B)

Steinbeck uses all of his characters in his novel to symbolise or represent a certain part of society in 1930’s America. It is his representation of what life was like in that era. Although one character stands out from the rest which is Candy or the others from the ranch like to call him “the swamper”.
Steinbeck writes “his dog is his company and his equivalent of a friend” suggests that he is incredibly lonely as his only friend is a dog, an animal. The key word in this quote is “equivalent” because it has two meanings. Steinbeck is telling us that he is treated the same way as the dog. And I could go as far to say that maybe they even both share the same status which is minute or even nothing. He describes the dog’s movements “his ancient dog lifted his head and peered about, and then got painfully back to his feet to follow” this mirrors Candy in almost every way as Candy has been described as a “cripple” in the novel. In my opinion Steinbeck is trying to make us imagine and think about the intense difficulty old people had to face in this harsh, unforgiving society. In addition even though he is old he is expected to work as hard as everyone else if not harder because he knows that soon enough he will get fired as his weak limbs won’t be able to deal with the amount of strenuous physical work he has to do in the ranch.
Furthermore when crook’s sneers at the idea of owning their own place, his answer shows the comfort he gains from his new friends and the end to loneliness, “we gonna do it....me and Lennie and George”. This scene shows us a completely different side of Candy, an intimate side full of hopes and dreams. This reveals that although Candy is facing discrimination over his age and disability he is still able to look beyond the obstacles. Steinbeck is trying to show us that everyone in this society had a dream; although some couldn’t fulfil them previously, they still had them. Steinbeck reinforces this when Curley’s wife insults him he says “We got friends, thats what we got”. Candy shows her his authority or more so his dignity and tells her the importance of friends.
In conclusion Steinbeck uses Candy to highlight the discrimination which was being faced by elderly, “crippled” people who had to work for their entire lifetime. Furthermore America wasn’t a welfare state which was the reason for them working at such a late age. He uses dreams to show how he did have ambitions but his age and the economic downfall (1929 wall street crash) diminished his goals of doing so.
/15
THANKS A LOT! please give a mark out of 15!

I can't really comment on the quality of the content (haven't got around to reading the book) but I will say that your poor grammar and use of English may be letting you down, particularly if you're aiming for an A*. Fix this, and maybe your mark will increase, if your content is good.

Major problems:
1) Tone - this sounds like a TSR post, not an essay. Try and be more formal. Posters above have already shown some ways in which you can do this.
2) Fragments like "It is his representation of what life was like in that era" are clumsy as full sentences.
3) Some entences just don't really make sense, or only make sense in quite a convoluted way: "Although one character stands out from the rest which is Candy or the others from the ranch like to call him “the swamper”."
4) Don't start sentences with conjunctions. A conjunction is a word which joins two phrases, like "and" and "but". This is a massive red flag for anyone reading your essay. You can get away with "furthermore". I would, as a rule, also avoid "although" - this is fine in some contexts but if you don't know which ones, better to just avoid it.

Hopefully this is a bit helpful.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
this is a C, if people on here would actually read it they'd tell you the same thing. You have poor syntax throughout. You dont know how to quote- example:

Steinbeck writes “his dog is his company and his equivalent of a friend” suggests that he is incredibly lonely as his only friend is a dog, an animal.

Cant you see how the quote doesnt fit in with the sentence? This should be:

by saying "his dog is his company and his equivalent of a friend" Steinbeck implies that CANDY (refer to characters by names 99% of the time to avoid mind****s) is incredibly lonely as his only friend is a dog (an animal). its nice to mention lines as well.

Essentially, your english is not up to par, which renders your work **** regardless of how good the content is.

8/15
Reply 22
Ask for her comments. No offence but a lot of people on here are hardly going to know the marking criteria and / or how long it should be. Also, there are some words missing from the first few sentences which would have made them flow better so perhaps you got marked down for that.

Also, try to avoid using "I would go so far as to say" or "in my opinion" to make your writing more sophisticated.
Original post by osama2
thanks for the feed back much appreciated and i will take everything on board for the exam! so would you say it was worth an A?

I really can't say, I'm sorry. Having had no training in marking, I can't differentiate between a B or an A, sorry.

No problem. Trying to write in third person instead of first just makes your work sound more self-assured and therefore more sophisticated. Although you shouldn't get marked down for saying "I believe", it really does make your opinions sound more valid. For example "I believe that Steinbeck is trying to make us empathise with Candy" (awful analysis I know, but this is just for the purpose of an example) sounds like it is just your opinion. By saying "it is evident that Steinbeck is trying to make the reader empathise with Candy" makes the point sound more universally accepted, even though you're saying the same thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
The content is there for a better mark, but there are a few glitches in style. (I'm an A Level English student and have realised too many times that just reading through your work thoroughly can easily smooth these minor errors out!) Definitely deserves higher than a C grade though, you stick to the focus of the question and the content is pretty strong. Go and get that remark! :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by examination
Sorry but I agree with teacher...I would give it a 7/8 out of 15. I don't what level of difficulty AQA is (higher than A levels or around about GCSE's?) Firstly, the essay as a whole could have been written in a better way. Maybe avoid using phrases like 'this tells us this' and instead write 'this would imply that...' Also, I personally would never use first person In words like 'us' in an essay. Istead, you could write 'The reader is left feeling/Steinbeck attempts to show the reader...'

Secondly, I think you haven't really answered the question. In the main, you have simply described Candy's key traits and supported it with quotations. Only in the conclusion do you start talking about 'important ideas about the society' which is actually the central focus of this essay. There has to be a constant reference to what the questions asking. Maybe you were along the right lines in that discrimination was a significant part of society at that time but there are other things you could have looked at. For example, you could have had a paragraph on the economic problems (which you briefly mentioned) and how due to his disability and age, it would be very difficult for him to overcome such economic problems. Basically, you need to expand A LOT on the issues you mentioned in your conclusion.

Those are the 2 main things which I would change: using more sophisticated language and actually answering the question. But keep in mind that this is what I personally would do. Everyone has a different opinion. I am currently doing Advanced Higher which is equivalent to A level. From what I have learnt, a 15 mark essay should generally be around 2 pages if its hand written and roughly a page and a bit for typed up. I can't really tell how long your one is since its on tsr but it seems a bit short. Hopefully you find my comments constructive. Like I said, I'm unsure what level AQA is so maybe some of my comments are irrelevant. Good luck! :smile:

really appreciate ur feedback as well! thanks. as i have said before this was an example of how the essay would have gone. and yes assume this was a sample from a 2 page essay then would you change your mind? i just dont believe that it was worth anywhere near a C.
Reply 26
Original post by dulciemae
The content is there for a better mark, but there are a few glitches in style. (I'm an A Level English student and have realised too many times that just reading through your work thoroughly can easily smooth these minor errors out!) Definitely deserves higher than a C grade though, you stick to the focus of the question and the content is pretty strong. Go and get that remark! :biggrin:

thanks! thank god i havent picked English for Alevel haha.
Reply 27
It's a good piece but definitely not A* worthy, but I don't know about a C. I'm really short for time so I'll keep this simple.

There are several grammatical errors in this, and your quotations are much too long. You need to explore the connotations of single words more, although your link to context is good.

Also try to refrain from using "in my opinion", "I think that", because you are writing why he did it and not so much your opinion. I know that this is the case for OCR, AQA might want essays like that so you need to find out.
Original post by osama2
really appreciate ur feedback as well! thanks. as i have said before this was an example of how the essay would have gone. and yes assume this was a sample from a 2 page essay then would you change your mind? i just dont believe that it was worth anywhere near a C.

Well like I said, I'm comparing this to my essays and what grades I have got previously. So if I had written this asked my teacher to mark it, I would get a C. However this is only relevant to the Scottish grading system at Higher or Advanced Higher (AS and A level) Well if the actual essay is about 2 pages long and you expand on the issues you mentioned in the last paragraph, I would certainly give it no less than a B :smile: just ask the teacher what you could have done better - I find that has helped me a lot!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
This is basically what my whole english department do, last year for the literature exam they told us to revise certain poems rather than other and none were on the paper and about 90% of the year group is resit -.- This definately isn't a C!
Reply 30
thanks
Reply 31
Original post by examination
Sorry but I agree with teacher...I would give it a 7/8 out of 15. I don't what level of difficulty AQA is (higher than A levels or around about GCSE's?) Firstly, the essay as a whole could have been written in a better way. Maybe avoid using phrases like 'this tells us this' and instead write 'this would imply that...' Also, I personally would never use first person In words like 'us' in an essay. Instead, you could write 'The reader is left feeling/Steinbeck attempts to show the reader...'

Secondly, I think you haven't really answered the question. In the main, you have simply described Candy's key traits and supported it with quotations. Only in the conclusion do you start talking about 'important ideas about the society' which is actually the central focus of this essay. There has to be a constant reference to what the questions asking. Maybe you were along the right lines in that discrimination was a significant part of society at that time but there are other things you could have looked at. For example, you could have had a paragraph on the economic problems (which you briefly mentioned) and how due to his disability and age, it would be very difficult for him to overcome such economic problems. Basically, you need to expand A LOT on the issues you mentioned in your conclusion.

Those are the 2 main things which I would change: using more sophisticated language and actually answering the question. But keep in mind that this is what I personally would do. Everyone has a different opinion. I am currently doing Advanced Higher which is equivalent to A level. From what I have learnt, a 15 mark essay should generally be around 2 pages if its hand written and roughly a page and a bit for typed up. I can't really tell how long your one is since its on tsr but it seems a bit short. Hopefully you find my comments constructive. Like I said, I'm unsure what level AQA is so maybe some of my comments are irrelevant. Good luck! :smile:

AQA is an exam board!
definitely an A I'd say atleast, very good. if your teacher refused to remark it, on results day apply for a remark by the exam board. I did that in German was defo worth it :')
definately B ( and i mark year 9 papers and a few year 10's i did this controlled assessment last year (im currently in year 10 ) .. plainly because you dont relate the whole answer to the question , your quoting is slightly dodgy :L and my most important point is that I would definately convey the idea of the american dream and how at the time this didnt apply to people like candy, due to him being seen as an outsider and not really having much purpose , steinbeck purposely uses candy to represent this area of society in the 1930's, Furthermore steinbeck makes the reader understand how the great depression affected different areas of society, shown by candy's lack of hope and enthusiasm, ( then go on to explain how this changed and so forth) .......... this is just one of the MAJOUR themes of the novel and i think it must be included to attain an A/A*
Original post by Aquar
AQA is an exam board!

Aaah I get it!! Forgive my ignorance - I'm a Scottish student so I assumed that AQA is a level of difficulty like A level or AS! I just didn't know what level the OP is currently studying:colondollar: Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by osama2
hi guys my teacher said that this was a C grade piece of work.
can you please read this and mark it out of 15. this is AQA English literature and is on Of Mice and Men. the question was:
How do you think Steinbeck uses the character of Candy in the novel as a whole to convey important ideas about society at that time? (15) (PART B)

Steinbeck uses all of his characters in his novel to symbolise or represent a certain part of society in 1930’s America. It is his representation of what life was like in that era. Although one character stands out from the rest which is Candy or the others from the ranch like to call him “the swamper”.
Steinbeck writes “his dog is his company and his equivalent of a friend” suggests that he is incredibly lonely as his only friend is a dog, an animal. The key word in this quote is “equivalent” because it has two meanings. Steinbeck is telling us that he is treated the same way as the dog. And I could go as far to say that maybe they even both share the same status which is minute or even nothing. He describes the dog’s movements “his ancient dog lifted his head and peered about, and then got painfully back to his feet to follow” this mirrors Candy in almost every way as Candy has been described as a “cripple” in the novel. In my opinion Steinbeck is trying to make us imagine and think about the intense difficulty old people had to face in this harsh, unforgiving society. In addition even though he is old he is expected to work as hard as everyone else if not harder because he knows that soon enough he will get fired as his weak limbs won’t be able to deal with the amount of strenuous physical work he has to do in the ranch.
Furthermore when crook’s sneers at the idea of owning their own place, his answer shows the comfort he gains from his new friends and the end to loneliness, “we gonna do it....me and Lennie and George”. This scene shows us a completely different side of Candy, an intimate side full of hopes and dreams. This reveals that although Candy is facing discrimination over his age and disability he is still able to look beyond the obstacles. Steinbeck is trying to show us that everyone in this society had a dream; although some couldn’t fulfil them previously, they still had them. Steinbeck reinforces this when Curley’s wife insults him he says “We got friends, thats what we got”. Candy shows her his authority or more so his dignity and tells her the importance of friends.
In conclusion Steinbeck uses Candy to highlight the discrimination which was being faced by elderly, “crippled” people who had to work for their entire lifetime. Furthermore America wasn’t a welfare state which was the reason for them working at such a late age. He uses dreams to show how he did have ambitions but his age and the economic downfall (1929 wall street crash) diminished his goals of doing so.
/15
THANKS A LOT! please give a mark out of 15!

Don't worry, I've got a teacher just like this, you wouldn't believe the number of times I've gotten annoyed with her. Overall I still think your work is good, probably B/A. To get a higher grade you should use imbedded quotes and try to give alternative interpretations. That's how people get an A*, you need to look beyond the obvious. Also, try to make it flow more better and always stick to the topic, don't drift off talking about something else. Good luck!
Reply 36
Original post by Starrstruck
Don't worry, I've got a teacher just like this, you wouldn't believe the number of times I've gotten annoyed with her. Overall I still think your work is good, probably B/A. To get a higher grade you should use imbedded quotes and try to give alternative interpretations. That's how people get an A*, you need to look beyond the obvious. Also, try to make it flow more better and always stick to the topic, don't drift off talking about something else. Good luck!

yes i will! thanks!
Reply 37
For 22 mins that still seems short although maybe its just that I write quickly. Although if you wrote that without planning etc. just on the stop then possibly yes for size as you'd of had to think more of what you were writing.

To me C sounds about right, for me you don't expand on your points and you lack focus on a key quote, you simply jump from quote to quote without expanding and then linking it from within the novel.

Also some of the things you say are quite obvious and haven't had any thought put into i.e '“We got friends, thats what we got”. Candy shows his his authority or more so his dignity and tells her the importance of friends.' Well yeah, obviously he's stressing the importance of friends but why is that significant? What does it show about his mentality? How does it link to 1920's America? You've just written whats obvious and haven't expanded and read between the lines.

For me theres not much insight to it and alternatives opinions!
(edited 11 years ago)
My alterations are in bold

Original post by osama2

Steinbeck writes “his dog is his company and his equivalent of a friend” suggests that he is incredibly lonely as his only friend is a dog, an animal. The key word in this quote is “equivalent” because it has two meanings. Steinbeck is telling us that he is treated the same way as the dog

Perhaps...

'It could be argued that Steinbeck uses all his characters in 'Of Mice and Men' to symbolise and represent life for....in 1930s America. However, as a reader, it is felt that one character in particular stands out from the other ranch members. In this piece I wish to explore how Candy (commonly known as "the swamper") represents the important ideas of society in the period.'

Firstly, it is important to consider Steinbeck writes “his dog is his company and his equivalent of a friend”. The key word in this quote is “equivalent” because it has two meanings. Steinbeck firstly suggests that Candy's only friend is "his dog", an animal, showing that Candy is incredibly lonely. Furthermore, it could be believed that as an "equivalent" Candy has a very low animal-like social standing on ranch.

I haven't studied or read 'Of mice and Men' for 2 years, but I think your essay is lacking structure and clarity on some of the points. The English can be a bit muddled and clumsy. So I've given an example how i'd write it (although don't trust my version completely!)
while you guys are all here can you give this courseowrk a mark out of 20 perhaps?
Who are the real victims of the novel and how does Steinbeck present their struggle? Look at how their lives are affected by the age they lived in which is 1930s America

Steinbeck’s novel of Mice and Men is a tale of two friends: George and Lennie who come seeking work on a ranch hoping to make a living as migrant farmers in America during the 1930s. Throughout the novel, we come across many individuals suffering from some sort of burden that they can find no easy way to escape from; victims, but due to no fault of their own creation. Steinbeck portrays these victims in a variety of ways, from supressed and desperate to secluded and flirtatious. Also, the range of things they are victims of including sexism, racism and ageism. The novel shows how life would have been for someone suffering from those problems during the era.
One character that stands out as a victim in this novel is Curley’s wife. A flirtatious married woman, all the men on the ranch are keen to avoid her. Being seen with her means having to deal with Curley: the boss’s son, a situation which none of the men want to be in. Like many of the characters in the ranch she has fallen victim to loneliness; alienated as a result of her gender and married status. The writer presents her as more of a possession of Curley than a woman in her own right. We are given a glimpse of this when George, having met Curley’s wife says “so that’s what Curley picks for a wife.” The use of the word “what,” instead of the “who” implies that she is merely an object and not a human. The word “picks” also makes it seem like she is an object of Curley simply picked out, no suggestion of an emotion basis to the relationship. Another contributing factor to her loneliness is the fact that she is the only woman on the ranch. This isolates her even more as the only person she can be seen with in Curley who although she is married to does not love or even like. This is made more than obvious by Steinbeck when she says “I don’t like Curley, he aint a nice fella.”
Crooks: the negro stable buck, is clearly a victim in this novel. A victim of racism, he is secluded and forced to live in the outskirts of the society and similar to Curley’s wife he has with little communication with anyone. As a black person living in 1930s America before the civil rights movement he is placed at the bottom of society even though he is intelligent which is signified in the book where it states he has “a tattered dictionary and a mauled copy of the California civil code of 1905.” That fact that the dictionary is “tattered” displays that it has been used regularly and that possibly Crooks is an avid reader. Having his “mauled copy of the California civil code” shows he would be aware the few rights he had as an African-American in this period. His isolation and loneliness stretches so far that he is willing to give to Lennie even though he is aware that Lennie is not listening to a word he is saying which is effectively like talking to himself. His place in society is so low that his obedience is demanded even by Curley’s wife who is treated like the plague by all the other men on the ranch. This is shown when He tries to stand up to Curley’s wife and get her to leave his room but Curley’s wife puts him in his place, reminding him of the power she holds over him, “you know what I could do it you open your trap”. Crooks’ reaction displays he is visibly shaken “Crooks seemed to grow smaller, and press himself against the wall” this can be looked as for crooks retreating back to the edge of society and once more becoming overlooked.

also assume that a suitable conclusion of the same level was added

Quick Reply

Latest