The Student Room Group

What is a good starting salary for after graduation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
The worrying moment when you realise you earned above that before starting Uni :s-smilie:

Why have I done this to myself :'(

at the end of the day u r gonna hve a flippen diploma, provin u r educated... lots will respect u for that diploama trust me...
Reply 41
I think it should be mandatory in these threads for people to say whether or not they're an actual graduate before posting! So many sixth formers stating that £30k+ is a standard graduate wage etc - you have no idea... :rolleyes:

As a graduate that's been working for a few years now, I think if you land a £20k job straight out of uni, you're doing pretty damn well (though landing any job is quite an achievement tbf)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by imconfused
at the end of the day u r gonna hve a flippen diploma, provin u r educated... lots will respect u for that diploama trust me...

'Degree'

Original post by crazybored
I think it should be mandatory in these threads for people to say whether or not they're an actual graduate before posting! So many sixth formers stating that £30k+ is a standard graduate wage etc - you have no idea... :rolleyes:

As a graduate that's been working for a few years now, I think if you land a £20k job straight out of uni, you're doing pretty damn well (though landing any job is quite an achievement tbf)

Seconded :^_^:
Original post by M1011
'Degree'

Seconded :^_^:

fine degree........
Reply 44
The median grad scheme starting salary at the top 100 graduate employers, who recruit around 18000 graduates total, is £29000. This figure has been unchanged since 2010, so has dropped slightly in real terms due to inflation. The ones paying above £35k will mainly be banks/law firms, but over 60% are paying above £25k. Getting into one of these grad schemes is competitive but if you are at a good Russell Group university then its not unrealistic. The median graduate salary will of course be a lot lower than this, since corporate grad schemes are generally the highest paying roles.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport12.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)
Don't know about anybody else, but I started on about 15k (and that was in London). I don't think that the 20-25k figures people are citing are particularly realistic during a recession, I doubt that many graduates would be getting that.
Around 20-30k

My starting salary will be between 20 and 25k if I become a biomedical scientist, PhD stipends vary between 13 and 20k (tax free though!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
my salary at the moment when translated into what I would earn in the UK (Where i live, what i do etc) is about 27k but i am abroad and if i literally exchange the money into sterling its a hell of a lot less... but allows me in the country i am to have the life style of living in central london
Reply 48
If you take the statistics provided by an organisation like the Association of Graduate Recruiters as representative, and why would they not be, then you will realise that there are more students at the University of Manchester than there are graduate jobs in the UK. The actual number of graduate jobs is tiny; in this context, citing the average graduate salary is dangerously misleading. In addition, most graduate professions also require at least another year of training after you have completed your undergraduate degree (e.g. accountancy, law and teaching). Lots of graduate schemes also function in exactly the same way. Your wage during this period will be lower or non-existent.

Ignore anyone who talks about what they are going to earn. Listen to people who are actually earning wages at the moment. My first proper job after finishing my masters was in a prison. I earned just under £17,000.
Original post by evantej
If you take the statistics provided by an organisation like the Association of Graduate Recruiters as representative, and why would they not be

I personally don't think they as there is only about 800 member companies from which these statistics are obtained. You can see the list here. Barely any of the companies whose graduate schemes I'm applying for are members, and these are all big companies recruiting a lot of graduates for their next intake.

I agree with you fully about salaries though.
Original post by crazybored

Fair play, but just from personal experience I had a 30k salary before starting university. So I'd be massively sad if I had to work my way up the ladder from 20k again in a similar field :P

So it's fair to contribute whether pre or post graduation, if have the experience with pay grades.
Reply 51
Lol load of kiddies thinking they'll be billionaires instantly from their degree in Cambridge. :rolleyes:

TSR members! Please calm down! Good things come to those who wait!
Reply 52
Fair play, but just from personal experience I had a 30k salary before starting university. So I'd be massively sad if I had to work my way up the ladder from 20k again in a similar field :P

If so, one wonders why you even bothered to go university...?
Reply 53
Original post by Smack
I personally don't think they as there is only about 800 member companies from which these statistics are obtained. You can see the list here. Barely any of the companies whose graduate schemes I'm applying for are members, and these are all big companies recruiting a lot of graduates for their next intake.

I agree with you fully about salaries though.

To be fair, I think they've done a decent job given their constraints. Seem to cover civ eng amongst the larger employers fairly well, as well as the usual suspects (big 4, MCs, IBs) at any rate. Which O&G firms aren't listed out of interest? I thought I saw a few of the big ones
Reply 54
Original post by iSoftie
Lol load of kiddies thinking they'll be billionaires instantly from their degree in Cambridge. :rolleyes:

TSR members! Please calm down! Good things come to those who wait!

No offence, but they're only slightly more obnoxious than the kiddies who put their GCSEs in their signature... Actually, I take that back, I don't know which one's worse
Reply 55

So it's fair to contribute whether pre or post graduation, if have the experience with pay grades.

Have another read of my post - I never said anything about who should or shouldn't contribute to the thread?
Original post by Alex_Jones
I will correct myself and say realistic for most bsc graduates...

Still not true. More like "pulling a blinder" for most graduates.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Pretty much this.

Honestly, people saying '25-30k' - are you actually serious? I graduated 3 months ago and I'm on the dole. I spent all day yesterday handing out CVs in coffee shops and cinemas/book stores. Most of them were only part time temp positions for xmas too. Some people are so deluded - if you think you're going to waltz out of uni straight into a £30K job, then think again. The only place that is willing to take me on right now with a £25k+ salary is the armed forces.

That's ridiculous! They're ABSOLUTELY correct!

I'm 18, only have GCSEs and I'm on a salary of £18000 a year, going up to £20000 in 3 months. And you expect some who is 21 years old + to be earning the same WITH a degree?

Absolutely no chance buddy. People use the bad climate and job market as a reason to not be ambitious!
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
That's ridiculous! They're ABSOLUTELY correct!

I'm 18, only have GCSEs and I'm on a salary of £18000 a year, going up to £20000 in 3 months. And you expect some who is 21 years old + to be earning the same WITH a degree?

Absolutely no chance buddy. People use the bad climate and job market as a reason to not be ambitious!

If you're going to let your own luck cloud your observance of the real world, fine.

It has absolutely nothing to do with ambition.
For a generic graduate job maybe 20k-25k would be reasonable and acceptable (more or less depending on region or particular things)

For something more specific like an engineering job maybe 24k-27k would be possible.

In particular fields (finance or law) a new employee might get 35k+ quickly rising from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending