The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Do I have a chance for IR at QMUL?

I'm an international student, and my predicted grades are the A-level equivalent of AAB. Would this be good enough for International Relations at QMUL? And what if I mess up and get just ABB?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

According to their subject profile (here), their standard entry requirements are 320 UCAS points - equivalent to ABB at A-Level.

So to answer your question, from a purely A-Level grades point of view, yes, you certainly have a chance. However, a lot will depend on your GCSEs (or equivalent), personal statement and reference.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Thank you. I've already had a look at their website - however, aren't these just the minimum requirements for having ones application considered?

I was hoping to hear from someone who applied with similar grades or knows someone who did, and whether they got in or not.
Reply 3
Original post by MrDigBick
I'm an international student, and my predicted grades are the A-level equivalent of AAB. Would this be good enough for International Relations at QMUL? And what if I mess up and get just ABB?

Thanks.

Your worrying way too much........another thing which counts in your favour is the fact your a international student so they would be more likely to give you an offer if it falls just short a bit.

Thanks.

Hey I am a London student and I applied to IR with ABB prediction and I got an offer from them for ABB hope that puts you at ease a bit :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by waterstone555
Hey I am a London student and I applied to IR with ABB prediction and I got an offer from them for ABB hope that puts you at ease a bit :smile:

Yes, it does! :smile: Thank you for the reply.

When did you apply? Was it your first choice?
Yes, it does! :smile: Thank you for the reply.

When did you apply? Was it your first choice?

I applied back in mid November and its quite high in my choices yeah :smile:
Reply 7
I applied back in mid November and its quite high in my choices yeah :smile:

Were you rejected from KCL or UCL? Those are my first choices. I'm hoping to get in with AAB.
Were you rejected from KCL or UCL? Those are my first choices. I'm hoping to get in with AAB.

I didn't apply to KCL but I did apply to UCL and I am still awaiting a response from them :smile:
Reply 9
I didn't apply to KCL but I did apply to UCL and I am still awaiting a response from them :smile:

What subject did you apply for? And how come you didn't apply to KCL?

Are you expecting to get an offer? Please keep me updated! :smile:
What subject did you apply for? And how come you didn't apply to KCL?

Are you expecting to get an offer? Please keep me updated! :smile:

At UCL I applied to Politics and Eastern European studies which seems like a good course. I wanted to apply to KCL but my predicted grades weren't as high as the grades needed for that course. I would have loved to have applied if I had the grades :smile:
Erm I shall stay optimistic about getting and offer from UCL and of course I will :smile:
Reply 11
At UCL I applied to Politics and Eastern European studies which seems like a good course. I wanted to apply to KCL but my predicted grades weren't as high as the grades needed for that course. I would have loved to have applied if I had the grades :smile:
Erm I shall stay optimistic about getting and offer from UCL and of course I will :smile:

OMG that is my top choice, as well :biggrin: I swear, if you get in with ABB I'll be soo happy.. I really hope you'll get in! (but let's be fair, your chances are reaaally slim, right? I mean, their website says AAA-AAB.. and I actually emailed them about it and they said the majority of offers are for AAA).

Do you have any relevant background? I'm half Russian myself. And what course did you want to apply for at KCL? I thought KCL was easier than UCL (I mean, it performs worse in rankings..)
I got into IR at QMUL with BBC.

That was in 2008 however... :dontknow:
OMG that is my top choice, as well :biggrin: I swear, if you get in with ABB I'll be soo happy.. I really hope you'll get in! (but let's be fair, your chances are reaaally slim, right? I mean, their website says AAA-AAB.. and I actually emailed them about it and they said the majority of offers are for AAA).

Do you have any relevant background? I'm half Russian myself. And what course did you want to apply for at KCL? I thought KCL was easier than UCL (I mean, it performs worse in rankings..)

Thanks, I would be ecstatic if I get an offer but even if I don't I am really happy with the other offers which I am currently holding. Kings College is a good uni but for their International Relations course they are asking AAA which is a bit out of my reach.
Not particularly any relevant background just an interest in Eastern Europe and Politics of course :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
I got into IR at QMUL with BBC.

That was in 2008 however... :dontknow:

It's seriously gone up that much??

Thanks, I would be ecstatic if I get an offer but even if I don't I am really happy with the other offers which I am currently holding. Kings College is a good uni but for their International Relations course they are asking AAA which is a bit out of my reach.
Not particularly any relevant background just an interest in Eastern Europe and Politics of course :smile:

Don't you find it strange that UCL asks for less than KCL, though? I mean, it could seem like KCL is asking for more than it should. Are you sure people can't get an offer for that course with less than AAA?
It's seriously gone up that much??

Pretty much - it increased the year after I started. The reputation of the Politics department jumped up in the rankings, and then it joined the Russell group.. so yeah. When I applied the grade requirements were BBB.
Reply 16
Pretty much - it increased the year after I started. The reputation of the Politics department jumped up in the rankings, and then it joined the Russell group.. so yeah. When I applied the grade requirements were BBB.

That's crazy. I don't know how to feel about this!

So, what did you think of the course? Was it good? Lots of hard work?
That's crazy. I don't know how to feel about this!

In what way?

So, what did you think of the course? Was it good? Lots of hard work?

I transferred to Politics in second year - they have almost identical course structures so it wasn't difficult (or they did then anyway).

It was good - great staff, challenging, it's a good degree at a good university and I really enjoyed it. Certainly no regrets, lots of hard work but I think you get that with any decent degree.

And for what it's worth, lots of alumni from Politics/IR at QMUL have some pretty good jobs after.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
In what way?

Well, it's bad cause I might not get in.. but good cause if I do get in, my degree will look better.

I transferred to Politics in second year - they have almost identical course structures so it wasn't difficult (or they did then anyway).

It was good - great staff, challenging, it's a good degree at a good university and I really enjoyed it. Certainly no regrets, lots of hard work but I think you get that with any decent degree.

And for what it's worth, lots of alumni from Politics/IR at QMUL have some pretty good jobs after.

How come you transferred to Politics? And how challenging would you say it is? :/

Don't you find it strange that UCL asks for less than KCL, though? I mean, it could seem like KCL is asking for more than it should. Are you sure people can't get an offer for that course with less than AAA?

Well Kings College in its own right is a really good University in my opinion but its International Relations course is a lot newer than QMUL and for it to introduce a AAA standard was a bit peculiar but not unexpected. I am not sure if people can get into that course with less than AAA as it was only introduced for this cycle of application so we would have to wait and see

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending