The Student Room Group

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I'm sorry but I think the OP is trolling

The Job Centre is not there to help graduates, they are there to make sure people do not cheat the system and get benefits for DOING NUFFINK!!!!!!1!!

I cannot believe you used the fact that you are a graduate as a reason to turn down going on a course. Your HOLIER THAN THOU attitude is probably what is preventing you from getting a job.

DEAL WITH IT

I got a 2:2 and quite frankly I don't even put it on my CV anymore. I have to work in ****ty jobs that quite frankly a 16yr old with no qualifications has to do. I don't like it, but its the sign of the times really.

A 2:2 is not worth the paper its written on.

If you spent some time on that call centre job for free, you may have gained some skills that would have enabled you to get other jobs in call centres where YOU GET PAID!!!!1!

Time to forget about your degree mate. If you want to get your feet on the ladder you need to start at the bottom and potentially work your way up.

How about Tesco? They must be employing people for Xmas round about now, so send in your CV and a good cover letter to a few local stores and make sure you follow up by phoning the store's HR department if you don't hear anything within a few weeks.

lol I've lost count of the number of times that I've applied to Tescos and every time they reject me. Also removing my degree from my CV will mean a huge gap, which will make the employers think that I was sitting on my arse for three years doing nothing
Reply 41
It depends on which university you attended. If you went to a lower tier university, then your chances of getting a a decent job are that much lower.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Meh.. I was a 2.1 graduate who couldn't get a minimum wage job. It's how it works, unless you have family in high places. Just gotta wait it out and eventually something will come along.

When people do well it's always down to themselves but when they fail it's always because of other people. :rolleyes:

Maybe the reason people are employed and you're not is not nepotism, but rather that they were more employable than you. Take responsibility.
Original post by TurboCretin
Law isn't that hard to get a 2.1 in. I would have thought the same would be harder in comp sci.

It was the op's personal choice to take that course. Did he not stop and think: "Yeah, I might fail on this" ?? (i.e. get a 2.2). We live and die by our choices. And in terms of prestige, I would say Law is more respected. So, tough luck for computer geeks.
Reply 44
Original post by Tom_Ford
It was the op's personal choice to take that course. Did he not stop and think: "Yeah, I might fail on this" ?? (i.e. get a 2.2). We live and die by our choices. And in terms of prestige, I would say Law is more respected. So, tough luck for computer geeks.

You are trolling; Give it a rest please..
Reply 45
Have any you guys tried the armed forces for work?

Im guessing not...
Reply 46
Original post by Smash50
It depends on which university you attended. If you went to a lower tier university, then your chances of getting a a decent job are that much lower.

Any evidence?

ie comparing people of equal quality before uni as otherwise youre saying people with crap a levels do worse more than anything.
Reply 47
Original post by cole-slaw
All of which and more they will have been assessed on far more thoroughly during their university degree than you could ever hope to achieve in a 10 minute assessment.

Being able to bull**** about industry trends in an interview is not a particularly valuable skill, unless you're employing them to be a cold-calling sales rep.

Uni doesnt test whether anyone would want to work with you which a 10min interview would.

Any client interface role really. Doesnt need to be sales. Im in business relationship management (according to ITIL) and that shizz is pretty damn important.

Yeah, I'm glad I did a law degree on that score... Although marks did seem to vary with the tutors' choice of breakfast.
Reply 49
Original post by MUN123
lol I've lost count of the number of times that I've applied to Tescos and every time they reject me. Also removing my degree from my CV will mean a huge gap, which will make the employers think that I was sitting on my arse for three years doing nothing

When exactly did you graduate? Where did you graduate from?
Reply 50
Original post by Quady
Any evidence?

ie comparing people of equal quality before uni as otherwise youre saying people with crap a levels do worse more than anything.

Mate it's plastered all over the internet.
Original post by tengentoppa
When people do well it's always down to themselves but when they fail it's always because of other people. :rolleyes:

Maybe the reason people are employed and you're not is not nepotism, but rather that they were more employable than you. Take responsibility.

Well it's probably because I live in an area with one of the highest unemployment rates in the UK, and was a graduate at the peak of the recession but hey.. Maybe it was me too. Doesn't matter, 4 years on I have another degree with a 1st class honours in a specific healthcare profession with good job prospects. Stuff always works out, just not always immediately.
Reply 52
Original post by Smash50
Mate it's plastered all over the internet.

Should only take you a second to throw up a link then :smile:

Randomers like you ascerting its the case is there. Figures on the average starting wage per university is there.

But I've yet to see anything that compares people with similar qualifications going to different unis.
Original post by Quady
Have any you guys tried the armed forces for work?

Im guessing not...

Lol, you think they'd make it past the high street recruiting office with those attitudes? You might not need a 2.1 to join any of the armed forces, but you certainly need initiative, determination, a positive outlook, a strong sense of personal responsibility ....................... move along, nothing to see here :rolleyes:
Reply 54
Original post by threeportdrift
Lol, you think they'd make it past the high street recruiting office with those attitudes? You might not need a 2.1 to join any of the armed forces, but you certainly need initiative, determination, a positive outlook, a strong sense of personal responsibility ....................... move along, nothing to see here :rolleyes:

:smile: :P

I dunno about the regulars, I know the reserves will take just about anyone right now though
Its because your over qualified
They know you will leave them if you a real job
Try applying to temp jobs say you only want the job for summer

In the evenings to do some coding work on open source projects or make apps build up a resume

The govt organises internet city job fairs sign up for them
Original post by NX172
Work on acquiring employable skills. Why should the company hire you? How are you different to all the other graduates coming out of uni with zero experience and skills?

Has everybody with whom I've worked with have 2:1s ? Of course not, many don't even have degrees. But they've been picking up skills in their spare time and just self learning. Heck, some of my seniors only achieved 2:2. It's not an excuse.

When I'm hiring people, I don't care which uni you graduated from, what your grade is, what your family background is or what you eat for breakfast. All I want to know is whether or not you have the skills to do the job and whether or not you'll fit into the team. I know and have seen grads with 1:1s who couldn't code their way out of a paperbag and I've seen BTEC holders pass interviews with flying colours.

As an IT graduate, you should be well aware you can learn most the skills you need from your own home. Be it, Software engineering, network administration, software testing, etc. Time to upgrade yourself

(If you're interested in Software Engineering, I've written some tips to successfully getting an entry level job in the industry in this thread. If that's the case, there should be plenty for you to get cracking on with to improve your employability).

University degrees are over rated.

Ironically for CS anyway , the higher you go up the league tables, the more theoretical the courses are (more maths, less programming) which is not good for the commercial environment.
Original post by Reue
It might have been hard, but alot of people will have received a better grade than you. Employers will then prefer those others with the 1sts and 2.1s.

To be fair on the OP, he is right in saying that the degree is very hard.

I got a 2.1, but I no way in hell want to go through that CS degree again.

Like him, whilst all my peers were out partying, I would spend long hours coding. If you left assignments to the last minute, you are likely to fail.

The problem is, a lot of these companies do not discriminate with degrees. Someone could spend a fraction of the time doing a doss subject and obtain a 2.1 and is able to apply to most grad schemes - even the tech ones.
Original post by Smash50

Not true, had a friend who graduated with a 2.2 from Durham, he then tried to over compensate with a masters from queen mary.

He ended up becoming over qualified.

The way employers look at it, why choose this 2.2 grad from durham, when I have grads with 2.1s from places like durham and elseware applying.

The OP, is a bit stuffed, my only advice for him would be to freelance and create a portfolio.

Yeah, but tech is taking over the world. Everyday people are becoming more and more dependent on it, including lawyers.

So screw you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending