The Student Room Group

I need serious advice!

I will keep this as brief as I can.. I'm 25 and currently work in a terrible low paid job. I studied business for years and got to uni but dropped out due to health/family issues which was in some ways a blessing as I was losing interest anyway and don't really want to work in a boring HR department. I dabbled in a bit of computing at college after uni but decided to not go forward due to having my doubts that it would get me anywhere.

I've debated and debated with myself over what I should do with my life. Returning to uni is not an option as I won't get funded and I need to feed my kids (I have two) which are my main priority over anything. I've toyed with ideas of starting a business but the challenge,finances and uncertainty is beyond me and I can't take that risk. I'm getting older and still not achieved anything substantial. I do believe my downfall comes from finding everything boring and quitting as soon as I get bored or the rewards seems too far away or uncertain.

If someone turned round and asked me what my dream job would be I'd say game design possibly even Android games, but it won't happen so forget that idea as I can't afford to go to uni.

So I've concluded I need to do something that I stand a minimum of 50% chance of getting into and a 50% likeage for, which would be IT support. I wouldn't mind a nice helpdesk job with opportunity to advance... Without a degree how can I make this happen? Am I making the right choice? I've always told people to follow their dreams but along the way things happen and it's not always possible and you then have to face reality and come out of the dream world.

I apologise now for punctuation/spelling I'm typing on my new phones which isn't easy.

Thanks to anyone who can offer me advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
86 views an no reply..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rugar Rell
I will keep this as brief as I can.. I'm 25 and currently work in a terrible low paid job. I studied business for years and got to uni but dropped out due to health/family issues which was in some ways a blessing as I was losing interest anyway and don't really want to work in a boring HR department. I dabbled in a bit of computing at college after uni but decided to not go forward due to having my doubts that it would get me anywhere.

I've debated and debated with myself over what I should do with my life. Returning to uni is not an option as I won't get funded and I need to feed my kids (I have two) which are my main priority over anything. I've toyed with ideas of starting a business but the challenge,finances and uncertainty is beyond me and I can't take that risk. I'm getting older and still not achieved anything substantial. I do believe my downfall comes from finding everything boring and quitting as soon as I get bored or the rewards seems too far away or uncertain.

If someone turned round and asked me what my dream job would be I'd say game design possibly even Android games, but it won't happen so forget that idea as I can't afford to go to uni.

So I've concluded I need to do something that I stand a minimum of 50% chance of getting into and a 50% likeage for, which would be IT support. I wouldn't mind a nice helpdesk job with opportunity to advance... Without a degree how can I make this happen? Am I making the right choice? I've always told people to follow their dreams but along the way things happen and it's not always possible and you then have to face reality and come out of the dream world.

I apologise now for punctuation/spelling I'm typing on my new phones which isn't easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. How did you decide to have 2 kids without having financial strength to support them?

2. You should have never dropped out. A degree is better than no degree.

3. You don't need to go to uni to make Android games. :rolleyes: If you are willing to learn and work HARD, the Internet is all you need. Download some books and do your own thing. But it might not be very lucrative as the competition is insane.

4. " I need to do something that I stand a minimum of 50% chance of getting into and a 50% likeage for" That depends on how common are the things you like. The most stable jobs are the jobs that no one wants and that require some academic qualification.

5. " I wouldn't mind a nice helpdesk job with opportunity to advance... Without a degree how can I make this happen?" If your dream job is a HD job, then you must research what you need to get one and do it over and over. Persistence and hard work are the only guarantees. And I think your progress might be limited by your lack of qualifications and the limitations in your lifestyle due to having kids.
Original post by Rugar Rell

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could look into developing apps, you don't need a degree to do that and can do it quite cheaply. With help desk jobs, I did a very cursory Google search and found jobs that don't require any kind of qualifications, just some IT knowledge. So spend some time reading up about all the necessary elements and you will be fine. You can also get grants from lots of unis to cover your tuition costs so you could perhaps do a part-time course whilst still doing a part-time or even full-time job. If you really want to change your life and feel motivated to do so, use that to power you through lots of research and learning.
Reply 4
Original post by Juichiro
1. How did you decide to have 2 kids without having financial strength to support them?

2. You should have never dropped out. A degree is better than no degree.

3. You don't need to go to uni to make Android games. :rolleyes: If you are willing to learn and work HARD, the Internet is all you need. Download some books and do your own thing. But it might not be very lucrative as the competition is insane.

4. " I need to do something that I stand a minimum of 50% chance of getting into and a 50% likeage for" That depends on how common are the things you like. The most stable jobs are the jobs that no one wants and that require some academic qualification.

5. " I wouldn't mind a nice helpdesk job with opportunity to advance... Without a degree how can I make this happen?" If your dream job is a HD job, then you must research what you need to get one and do it over and over. Persistence and hard work are the only guarantees. And I think your progress might be limited by your lack of qualifications and the limitations in your lifestyle due to having kids.

I support my kids thanks, we are not struggling, don't know where you got that information. Also I have a string of qualifications so again don't know where you got that from. And I can't do a degree whilst being in hospital for months on end... Stop making assumptions, it's like you didn't read what I said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending