The Student Room Group

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gherk
Even finding crappy part time jobs is hard nowadays. I tried to find one during previous summer holidays but had no luck. I've seen sales roles on Reed receive 50 applications on the same day it was posted. It's far too competitive for young people without much experience.

Hallelujah, someone actually GETS it.

As cynical as this sound, I've seen some bar work vacancies where they require you to have a year's experience. I mean, how hard is it to train someone to pull a pint and work a till?
Original post by Gherk
It's quite irritating how employers don't care about your university and just filter out below 2.1 by default. An AAA student could've worked twice as hard on their degree and walk out with a 2.2. Meanwhile, a BCC student can coast through their degree and not be filtered out. They don't care for the fact that a 2.2 graduate could still have a much better CV than many 2.1 applicants. Sorry to sound arrogant.

You can get perfectly good jobs with a 2:2...loads of graduate schemes.
Where have you been looking and what field?
Reply 562
Original post by Iqbal007
You can get perfectly good jobs with a 2:2...loads of graduate schemes.
Where have you been looking and what field?

To be honest, I started applying a bit late. I'm a compsci grad and have been looking at various job websites and big companies for IT jobs. I know that there's a handful that accept 2.2 (Jaguar springs to mind), but most other big companies that have IT schemes filter it out.
Original post by MUN123
I graduated last month with a 2:2 in Computer science and since then I have been applying for graduate jobs non-stop with a lot of rejections. I then had to sign on JSA, now the Job center are advising me to work for free for 2 weeks in a call center to get "experience" which I've refused because I dislike to be exploited by the company and work for free in a field that does not interest me.

I explained to the Job centers that I'm interested in IT jobs to which they replied that they would not be paying me benefits so that I could sit and wait for a very specific job. And after applying to loads of minimum wage jobs and getting loads of rejections they want me to work for free in some crappy job to get experience.

The other day they sent me to a compulsory course which explained about how to use the internet to apply for jobs I thought it was laughable they must be stuck in the 90's. They have no clue on how to deal with graduates

Let me get this right. You have a degree and you expect a company to rain Benjamin's on you? Why should a project manager employ you? You bring nothing to the table apart from here is my degree.

Sorry but Graduates are a dime a dozen now. Supply and demand dictates that you are only worth what you produce. Put it this way if you can't write Haskell & create Quant Trading Algorithms you may as well drop your attitude problems. No one cares that you spent years at University.
Original post by Gherk
To be honest, I started applying a bit late. I'm a compsci grad and have been looking at various job websites and big companies for IT jobs. I know that there's a handful that accept 2.2 (Jaguar springs to mind), but most other big companies that have IT schemes filter it out.

Just curious mate, what uni do you and those friends of yours you say got jobs with a 2:2 got to?

People have told me if you don't go somewhere like Imperial/UCL to do compsci you cant get a job, is this true? The best uni i might be able to get into for compsci is QMUL :frown:
Original post by Tom_Ford
People with 2.2's don't deserve jobs. Getting a 2.1 is not exactly difficult.

My uncle got a 2:2 and works at Credit Suisse, so if a company like that hire people with 2:2 maybe they do deserve jobs then?
It is tough out there. Whether you have a first, 2:1 or 2:2. I know people that are not able to get jobs at Sainsburys because they are overqualified. Some people are so judgmental just because you have a job doesn't mean that you should other who can't as lazy. We have no right to label others most are trying the best they can. Before someone comments, yes I do have a part time job I just finished my 1st year going into 2nd year
Original post by angryjobseeker
How could someone move out if they have never been able to get a job? Obviously living with parents is the only option. People who have been able to move out are very lucky. Lucky to get a job in the first place, even more lucky that they get one with enough hours to be even able to move out.

I was technically "employed" although on 5 hours a week, literally pocket money pay, how am I expected to move out on 5 hours per week!?

The **** is wrong with you!? I find YOU incredibly bizarre, that you seem to be entirely cut off from REALITY.

Are you familiar with this concept: Applying for a job and not getting so much as an interview, on the rare occasion that you do get an interview, you don't get selected. We can't all be highly successful "yes" men like you appear to be.

The above scenario can go on for years as it has in my case. I have been looking for work on and off since I was 17. Not my fault no one hired me. I got my first job when I was nearly 20.

Seven hours a week cleaning a library after hours. Before that I even tried Kleeneze which was torture and I lost money. So don't tell me I didn't try.

I don't know what made you think she might be foreign but let me tell you as an Englishman, I asked my mum about your story of working when you were 13 and she said it was illegal and that your "employer" should be prosecuted, unless you are old and grew up in the days when child labour was common.

I am more inclined to think your comments are those of a troll because getting a job at 18 is hard enough, let alone at 13. I tell you if you came up to me telling me I hadn't worked hard enough to get a job they would be your last words:colone:

Of course you can work at 13, you just can't do paid work.

This is how you get the experience so that when you do turn 16, you will find getting a job easily?

Did no-one ever explain this to you? What were you doing when you were 13? Lazing about no doubt.

Your violent temper may be another causal factor in your inability to get even the most basic menial jobs.

Why don't you volunteer? Is it beneath you?
Original post by Gherk
It's quite irritating how employers don't care about your university and just filter out below 2.1 by default. An AAA student could've worked twice as hard on their degree and walk out with a 2.2. Meanwhile, a BCC student can coast through their degree and not be filtered out. They don't care for the fact that a 2.2 graduate could still have a much better CV than many 2.1 applicants. Sorry to sound arrogant.

or BCC student worked just as hard and got a better degree result that makes his A-levels irrelevant.
Reply 569
Original post by daindian
Tbh the same way somebody may have performed bad at a level and then fixed up and got a 2:1 at degree level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
or BCC student worked just as hard and got a better degree result that makes his A-levels irrelevant.

My point was that it takes more work to get that 2.1 as you go up uni league tables (getting 60 at a ex-poly is easier than a top 20), not the mention the fact that certain subjects are much easier than others. I knew loads of people that left their essays to the last minute and managed to attain 60. You can't do that with subjects like Computer Science. Many graduate schemes don't distinguish between subjects or universities, and it doesn't seem fair.
Original post by Gherk

The only reason it happens is because so many people go to uni and graduate. I can't blame employers for putting in filters, they're well within their right to do so. That so many people are going to university is really a travesty and does society a great injustice
When I was 13 I was in school obviously, that is your default occupation at that age, at least since I have been born, I don't know what time period you are referring to when you talk about working at that age. There is no way I would have been allowed to work when I was 13, my mum wouldn't have allowed it as she would claim it was detracting from school work. She has always favoured being academic although I am not good at that kind of thing.

I actually agree with you about my temper, it can go from normal to livid in an instant, although only if specific circumstances are met, like this subject, which I feel strongly about partially due to jealousy at my lack of opportunities. But I do quite well to hide my temper when I go to interviews and I can guarantee it does not come through, so it won't be that scuppering my chances. Often I think I just come across as too ordinary without any stand out traits.

I was gonna volunteer actually but it fell through for some reason, that was back just after finishing uni. Also volunteering has travel expenses don't forget. It does make me feel jealous I must admit that you were able to work from such a young age. My mum wouldn't allow that because it would detract from school work, in her own words, even though I personally think it would have been quite character building to have some sort of independence.

Did you not have holidays at your school?
Original post by MUN123
It doesn't help that when I was about 16/17 we were in a rescission so getting minimum wage jobs was quite difficult as they then required someone with years of experience in shelve stacking and as a 16/17 year old I didn't have that.

I did volunteer at some places in the summers I have that in my CV and that didn't help me secure employment.
I've basically been lied to and been told that doing my degree will make it easier for me to get a job, which I believed when I was a naive 6th former

A degree is just a degree has doesn't automatically mean you are deserving of a job and is just one of many things you need to get a good job in the industry. YOU need to put the work into your skills to get yourself somewhere.

For example, if you want to be a Network Engineer look at what is required for the job, do all of those things and MORE to have an edge against the others applying.

You haven't even had a job before and therefore I think trying to get some work experience or internship (Paid or not) in IT is VERY important for you.
Original post by Gherk
My point was that it takes more work to get that 2.1 as you go up uni league tables (getting 60 at a ex-poly is easier than a top 20), not the mention the fact that certain subjects are much easier than others. I knew loads of people that left their essays to the last minute and managed to attain 60. You can't do that with subjects like Computer Science. Many graduate schemes don't distinguish between subjects or universities, and it doesn't seem fair.

For physics most employers care about is relevant experience and whether you degree is IOP accredited (which insures you have covered everything to a certain standard).

There is still a snob factor at big companies with regards to say Cambridge but it is becoming more and more about whether you have done say a phd or project or masters in the relevant area if you want a heavy science job in industry (source: A family member is in a recruiting position at one of these places)
Yes and my mum used them to drag us around museums and force us (me and my brother) to do homework up on homework. She was very strict in enforcing the rules. I often hate her for what she did to us.

poor you, having a mum who wants good for you, makes me sad ;(
try vinspired.com and get some experience...
Original post by Gherk

So? There are loads of applications which popped up over summer as they had places left, there still are some now still open you know. As a last kinda thing look at fdm or qa gateway, but as a last resort only, as you are limited to a certain pay and can be tough. But once the 2 year contract is up, you got the experience and do much better.
I must've looked at 2-3 different IT graduate schemes and they stated they will take 2.2 Computer Science degrees. 2.2 is quite acceptable, I know one of my cousins friends who got a 2.2 from Aston, 21, no work experience got a software development job while applying to a lot of jobs. My two other cousins with 2.2 in pharmacy, 2.2 in construction management from polytechnics with no prior work experience are in their respective jobs. Their is also a mature student who is 28, got a 2.2 in petroleum engineering and he got a job quicker than most of his classmates. Also their are other people who got 2.2 in Comp Sci on this forum and they are doing masters at top uni. I know another guy who a 2.2 in History 10 years later he is on a high salary! I guy with a 3rd got a job from Hull.

State the languages you learn, C++ is a big one, try to do some open source projects or offer to help out students with coding or do some volunteer work in IT and you will have something on your CV which may get you into a job.

Keep going and good luck OP!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 578
LOL I remember when I made this thread ! Never knew how popular it got

I know it's been a year since I've made this thread but I thought I would provide an update regarding my employment situation.
I am not in the computer science game anymore I have realized I did not enjoy the field and I have now been working at the checkouts in my local supermarket.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 579
Just quick:

I've worked in recruitment in the past. Computer science is not a degree that earns a lot of respect, most undergraduates can get onto a scheme that allows them to study computer science for a year, it's quite common. Sorry to say that but as someone who's job it was to filter applications I am telling you my experience.
I also expect at LEAST a 2:1, sorry.
I want to see that they were on a committee, societies, clubs etc.
I can't speak for basic jobs in shops etc, only from what I experienced.
Sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending