The Student Room Group

On the verge of graduating with a 2:2

Where should I begin I'm so depressed right now I'm even eating or sleeping right, I had two exams last week and which I'm sure that will get an 2:2 even though I went in the exams with strong 2:1 grades.I kinda saw this coming I was pretty much struggle to get 65% in my various modules and I had no one at uni not even my friends that were willing to explain the simplest things to me. I'm usually a shy person and told one of my lecturer that I didn't understand something the person refuse to help. My mother always talks about her crappy friends and gossip but when I bring struggles she seems less than support likewise with my father. I'm so depressed right now, it's hard enough to get a graduate job but with a 2:2 it's almost none existence and I feel like crying everyday. Uni was the one thing that I had going for me at the moment and a decent grade would mean everything to me. I don't even feel that I will get a good grade on my dissertation.

Scroll to see replies

Can't you retake the year? What went wrong this year anyway?
What is your degree in? You can always do a masters or a postgraduate course.

Take a look at my last post on the last page on how some guys got a 2.2 with a job:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2749165
Original post by Goldenparadise
Where should I begin I'm so depressed right now I'm even eating or sleeping right, I had two exams last week and which I'm sure that will get an 2:2 even though I went in the exams with strong 2:1 grades.I kinda saw this coming I was pretty much struggle to get 65% in my various modules and I had no one at uni not even my friends that were willing to explain the simplest things to me. I'm usually a shy person and told one of my lecturer that I didn't understand something the person refuse to help. My mother always talks about her crappy friends and gossip but when I bring struggles she seems less than support likewise with my father. I'm so depressed right now, it's hard enough to get a graduate job but with a 2:2 it's almost none existence and I feel like crying everyday. Uni was the one thing that I had going for me at the moment and a decent grade would mean everything to me. I don't even feel that I will get a good grade on my dissertation.

Getting a 2.2 isn't really the end of the world. Do things like internship or volunteer to gain work experience to compensate for it, because when you start applying for jobs, you will find most employers require work related experience. Your degree subject and classification will not over-rule that. I know some snobby 2.1 and 1st graduates who have graduated the same year as me but are still unemployed because well they think they are really better than 2.2 graduates when they are not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
With the right drive and determination there are plenty of career paths available.

I've never bought into the idea that there are 'graduate' jobs. There are certainly a lot of graduates doing non-graduate jobs. More than 1 in 4 people now have a degree as it is.

Yes a 2:2 will limit your options when applying for certain grad schemes and likely lead to applications being filtered out by job portals. However its not the end of the world. I wouldn't want to work for any employer that operated in that fashion anyway.

Personally speaking when I was selecting candidates for interview and making job offers it made no difference to me if someone had a 2:1 or a 2:2. Other factors were more important, like experience and drive.
You can cope afterwards, but it will require you to apply yourself, be smart and work hard at the next stage. once you get a job then it wont matter. So agree with killmark above. It may just be TSR levels of pessimism and you could be ok.
Looking at the post I can just see myself last year. I graduated with 59.1% my uni classed that as a 2.1. I spent months before in a panic driven depression.

Unless you're planning on heading towards a masters or a grad scheme, a 2.1 is really not the end of your career. Nor is it really with masters either, unis want your money - most will take you anyway.

Most employers don't actually care about your degree grade, or your degree. They want work experience.
Someone with skills.
Once you leave university the words 2.1 and 2.2 are just a dream.
To my memory, the last time people care about uni degree classification was the olibigatory Facebook post about what grade you got after 3rd year results are released. After that (unless you take grad scheme/masters route) it is really all about having a degree of any sort and work experience.
Original post by Killmark
With the right drive and determination there are plenty of career paths available.

I've never bought into the idea that there are 'graduate' jobs. There are certainly a lot of graduates doing non-graduate jobs. More than 1 in 4 people now have a degree as it is.

Yes a 2:2 will limit your options when applying for certain grad schemes and likely lead to applications being filtered out by job portals. However its not the end of the world. I wouldn't want to work for any employer that operated in that fashion anyway.

Personally speaking when I was selecting candidates for interview and making job offers it made no difference to me if someone had a 2:1 or a 2:2. Other factors were more important, like experience and drive.

Also even if you do get an excellent grade classification, its not a guarantee for the OP to get straight into graduate scheme, as most will still require work experience on top of that.
Reply 8
Don't worry, it will just take a bit longer to nab a job and most FTSE firm's graduate schemes may be out of reach unless you have extenuating circumstances. I got a 2:2 (59% and had extenuating circumstances) and I got a graduate job in January this year at a consultancy firm, a quite reputable one.

Work Experience and employable skills matter far more to employers, most degrees are just used as a filtering minimum criteria. I suggest volunteering or even better, an internship. More firms with lower entry requirements start recruiting once the financial sector rounds are finished and most will only require a 2:2. Slowly, we are getting firms who don't bother with degrees but use their aptitude tests to find the right candidates so anyone can apply.

I got ahead because I interned for many months in a hedge fund which was more valuable than a 2:1.
All solid advice, as stated, do a masters or do some volunteering to get some experience.

Good luck!
It's because I'm in the process of receiving a job offer and I have worked so hard so I know that the grades that will received from my exam will only make me lose that opportunity. I been having nightmares since the exams every single night. I feel so lost, but thanks guys for your encouragement I was already an active person at uni in societies and work programmes I just need to work much harder😔.
Original post by Goldenparadise
It's because I'm in the process of receiving a job offer and I have worked so hard so I know that the grades that will received from my exam will only make me lose that opportunity. I been having nightmares since the exams every single night. I feel so lost, but thanks guys for your encouragement I was already an active person at uni in societies and work programmes I just need to work much harder😔.

If you are in the process of recieving a job offer you have little to worry about.
Hi guys, I can honestly say getting a 2.2 is not the end of the world. I had gotten a 2.2 a couple of years ago from a top 5 university. I am now working at PwC having taken a completely different route. I have surprisingly found that the path through your career is MUCH more interesting being challenged compared to the standard graduate route straight after university. This may not help you all, but I made a blog to help people who are like me in this situation of absolutely bricking it, knowing that I was likely to graduate with a 2.2 even before entering my final year. It has bits and bobs that helped me personally since graduating and I am sure it will help the majority of you.

https://successwitha22degree.com/

(Note to forum admins, please do not see this as a promotion stunt as I have no intention but to help students who are currently in an understandably worrying situation that I was in 3 years ago)
Hey there,

Don't feel sad. It will be okay! I can tell you from my own personal experience, I graduated with a 2:2, and so have many others! I was also very upset when I saw the results and I was so, so close to getting a 2:1 (59.5%!). But I kept applying to jobs after I graduated and now i'm well into my career and very happy with my career progression! You will get hired with a 2:2, I promise. You just need to show your dedication, passion and enthusiasm. A grade isn't everything. You can do work experience, internships and lots of other external activities to add to your CV which will really help when employers look at it.

I hope this helps you!
I decided to update this post almost two years on, I remember how I felt back then alone with no support in the world, even reading this post makes me feel emotional. I was not well at the time (got misdiagnosis) and the months that fellow health wise was challenging. I remember calling a student advisor at my uni crying and sobbing how my life was over, he try to reassure me and I was broken because I had always excel academically and getting a 2.2 crushed me. I had care responsibilities then and putting everyone first when my body couldn't handle it was proven too much for me.

What happen? Well got a role in public sector for a year and after that ended, did a another temp role for the NHS and now I am working in investment (well operations) for large company. (I find it funny how everyone at uni made a big deal about IB/Consulting and I just view this has my job no different than any of my previous roles.)

What I would say to myself two years ago is don't beat yourself up, you worked hard even without a degree your CV/profile is competitive and LIVE REALLY LIVE. And if a company says no because of your grade then they are not the right company for you.

My advice to students/graduates out there think ahead and brush yourself off when adversity strikes.

I also want to say a big THANK YOU to all the TSR individuals that encourage me back then when I felt helpless, your words and advice was far more greater to than what many of you think.
I’m in the same boat as you were a few years ago. Went from getting 2.1s in second year to 2.2s in final year. This final year I’ve had a low 2.1, mid 2.1, high 2.2 and a mid 2.2. (Averaged out at 9.4... a 2.1 is 9.5 and above) I don’t have results for my dissertation yet, so that is literally going to make or break a 2.1 classification. I feel embarrassed and ashamed at getting a 2.2. People telling me I shouldn’t worry and should be proud as I did this degree as a single parent to a 4 year old and that I still have a degree. I’ve been accepted to do a masters if I get a 2.2 so I shouldn’t be that bothered either way. I still feel ashamed either way. However, this update actually made me feel a lot more optimistic! Glad you got there!
Original post by denmegan
I’m in the same boat as you were a few years ago. Went from getting 2.1s in second year to 2.2s in final year. This final year I’ve had a low 2.1, mid 2.1, high 2.2 and a mid 2.2. (Averaged out at 9.4... a 2.1 is 9.5 and above) I don’t have results for my dissertation yet, so that is literally going to make or break a 2.1 classification. I feel embarrassed and ashamed at getting a 2.2. People telling me I shouldn’t worry and should be proud as I did this degree as a single parent to a 4 year old and that I still have a degree. I’ve been accepted to do a masters if I get a 2.2 so I shouldn’t be that bothered either way. I still feel ashamed either way. However, this update actually made me feel a lot more optimistic! Glad you got there!

I know how you feel. When I got my 2.2 I lost out on graduate scheme with a major bank. Although was able to then get an internship and then a one year graduate scheme in public sector I spent months trying to revise what I could have done differently. In the end I didn't lie or cheat barely missed the mark and I that year I was sick. I accepted my classification and now that I really think about it was never really ashamed it companies and people assumption that made feel that way. Don't beat up yourself move on with your life and if a company doesn't want to accept your 2.2 then they aren't the right company for you! Just remember that you're always good fit for any company, it's the company that might be a good fit for you. I remember crying on the phone to my university student advisor, but luck for me I was always the type of individual that had internships, societies and volunteering to back me up. Good luck with everything.
I got 2:2 but then got my MSc and it’s all history now. It’s not the end of the world. I’ve met utterly useless 2:1 graduates from Oxford who just can’t make it in the workplace and a 1st from Cambridge who just couldn’t communicate with clients and got let go.
Original post by Welshvisitor
I got 2:2 but then got my MSc and it’s all history now. It’s not the end of the world. I’ve met utterly useless 2:1 graduates from Oxford who just can’t make it in the workplace and a 1st from Cambridge who just couldn’t communicate with clients and got let go.

I know right I also know an Oxford graduate with 1st who worked at one of my job and they made major mistake that could have cost the company money and the error was on numerous occasion, they two got let go. But it's been 3 years since my graduation I've done so much since then and a couple days ago I was asked about my 2.2 in my interview by a person who didn't have a degree. It get frustrating and sometimes but I've made peace with myself and guess I just want to move on with my life.
I know that one. I was blighted by dyslexia which is partly an explanation but one which just makes an employer nervous because they think it means think and incapable 🤯

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending