The Student Room Group

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs

I graduated last month with a 2:2 in Computer science and since then I have been applying for graduate jobs non-stop with a lot of rejections. I then had to sign on JSA, now the Job center are advising me to work for free for 2 weeks in a call center to get "experience" which I've refused because I dislike to be exploited by the company and work for free in a field that does not interest me.

I explained to the Job centers that I'm interested in IT jobs to which they replied that they would not be paying me benefits so that I could sit and wait for a very specific job. And after applying to loads of minimum wage jobs and getting loads of rejections they want me to work for free in some crappy job to get experience.

The other day they sent me to a compulsory course which explained about how to use the internet to apply for jobs I thought it was laughable they must be stuck in the 90's. They have no clue on how to deal with graduates

Scroll to see replies

Meh.. I was a 2.1 graduate who couldn't get a minimum wage job. It's how it works, unless you have family in high places. Just gotta wait it out and eventually something will come along.
Reply 2
Work on acquiring employable skills. Why should the company hire you? How are you different to all the other graduates coming out of uni with zero experience and skills?

Has everybody with whom I've worked with have 2:1s ? Of course not, many don't even have degrees. But they've been picking up skills in their spare time and just self learning. Heck, some of my seniors only achieved 2:2. It's not an excuse.

When I'm hiring people, I don't care which uni you graduated from, what your grade is, what your family background is or what you eat for breakfast. All I want to know is whether or not you have the skills to do the job and whether or not you'll fit into the team. I know and have seen grads with 1:1s who couldn't code their way out of a paperbag and I've seen BTEC holders pass interviews with flying colours.

As an IT graduate, you should be well aware you can learn most the skills you need from your own home. Be it, Software engineering, network administration, software testing, etc. Time to upgrade yourself

(If you're interested in Software Engineering, I've written some tips to successfully getting an entry level job in the industry in this thread. If that's the case, there should be plenty for you to get cracking on with to improve your employability).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
2.2 is nothing special, perhaps even suggests you would have been better getting an IT apprenticeship?

IT is all about experience. Do some volunteer IT work for a charity or something and get some hands on experience.
Reply 4
Original post by Reue
2.2 is nothing special, perhaps even suggests you would have been better getting an IT apprenticeship?

IT is all about experience. Do some volunteer IT work for a charity or something and get some hands on experience.

But getting a degree in Computer science was very hard, I spent a lot of time coding in to the late hours whilst my friends from other degrees partied all night
Reply 5
Original post by MUN123
But getting a degree in Computer science was very hard, I spent a lot of time coding in to the late hours whilst my friends from other degrees partied all night

It might have been hard, but alot of people will have received a better grade than you. Employers will then prefer those others with the 1sts and 2.1s.
Reply 6
Original post by MUN123
I graduated last month with a 2:2 in Computer science and since then I have been applying for graduate jobs non-stop with a lot of rejections. I then had to sign on JSA, now the Job center are advising me to work for free for 2 weeks in a call center to get "experience" which I've refused because I dislike to be exploited by the company and work for free in a field that does not interest me.

I explained to the Job centers that I'm interested in IT jobs to which they replied that they would not be paying me benefits so that I could sit and wait for a very specific job. And after applying to loads of minimum wage jobs and getting loads of rejections they want me to work for free in some crappy job to get experience.

The other day they sent me to a compulsory course which explained about how to use the internet to apply for jobs I thought it was laughable they must be stuck in the 90's. They have no clue on how to deal with graduates

Have you ever had a job before? Be honest..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Kasa
Have you ever had a job before? Be honest..

No
Reply 8
Original post by MUN123
No

That doesn't look very good does it?

There are many graduates your age who have had jobs since they were 16/17, who have experience of a working environment. Whilst I appreciate your disappointment in you paying thousands of pounds for your degree and for it not to get you a job, that, unfortunately, does not differentiate you from many graduates out there (Thank you Tony Blair). It's all about experience , a network of contacts and references, all three of which you don't have. I think you need to start volunteering at companies as someone has mentioned above..
Reply 9
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Meh.. I was a 2.1 graduate who couldn't get a minimum wage job. It's how it works, unless you have family in high places. Just gotta wait it out and eventually something will come along.

What was your degree in?
Original post by Kasa
What was your degree in?

Psychology
Reply 11
Psychology

Cool. What are you doing now?
Reply 12
Original post by Kasa
That doesn't look very good does it?

There are many graduates your age who have had jobs since they were 16/17, who have experience of a working environment. Whilst I appreciate your disappointment in you paying thousands of pounds for your degree and for it not to get you a job, that, unfortunately, does not differentiate you from many graduates out there (Thank you Tony Blair). It's all about experience , a network of contacts and references, all three of which you don't have. I think you need to start volunteering at companies as someone has mentioned above..

It doesn't help that when I was about 16/17 we were in a rescission so getting minimum wage jobs was quite difficult as they then required someone with years of experience in shelve stacking and as a 16/17 year old I didn't have that.

I did volunteer at some places in the summers I have that in my CV and that didn't help me secure employment.
I've basically been lied to and been told that doing my degree will make it easier for me to get a job, which I believed when I was a naive 6th former
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
It doesn't help that when I was about 16/17 we were in a rescission so getting minimum wage jobs was quite difficult as they then required someone with years of experience in shelve stacking and as a 16/17 year old I didn't have that.

I know how difficult that can be, but i must argue that graduates were more afflicted by the recession. . I graduated in 2011, but still managed to find a couple of minimum wage jobs that helped boosted my CV. Whilst i appreciate the recession was detrimental, that doesn't help your case, as there the lucky ones who are a lot older/younger than you who have had jobs before/after the recession.

I did volunteer at some places in the summers I have that in my CV and that didn't help me secure employment.
I've been basically lied to and told that doing my degree will make it easier for me to get a job, which I believed when I was a naive 6th former

Never lie on your CV. There's nothing stopping you from volunteering now..Maybe widen your net in terms of job-seeking so that doesn't only encompass IT
(edited 9 years ago)
Make your own website/online product your a computer science guy!!!!
People with 2.2's don't deserve jobs. Getting a 2.1 is not exactly difficult.
Psychology

I'll be studying psych soon. I hope I don't become unemployed after uni too as that must suck :frown: but then again, I want to go into teaching afterwards and there is generally a high demand for teachers I think..
Reply 17
Original post by Tom_Ford
People with 2.2's don't deserve jobs. Getting a 2.1 is not exactly difficult.

Facepalm
Ask for feedback from the jobs you've wanted and you have been declined from. Better yet, check their job specifications and use them as a check-list for the next year. Go out and get what they are looking for! It may be so many months experience in an IT role... In which case work experience will probably tick that box - or at least get you an interview.

Think about what you need to do to succeed, make a plan, and execute it.
Original post by Kasa
Facepalm

What? I got a 2.1 from a RG uni in Law with relatively minimal work. I am still out of a job since graduation in 2013. It is very difficult out there, very few jobs to give and intense competition.

Quick Reply

Latest