The Student Room Group

PGCE FE/Post-Compulsory

Anyone doing PGCE Further Education and training/Post-compulsory Education in Sept 16? I've been offered a place at the University of Portsmouth :smile: xx

Scroll to see replies

Sounds good :smile:

I'm hoping to do ctlls this academic year coming. Have done ptlls.

Pgce is too full time for me in how it's timetabled.

Have you got your teaching placement yet?*
Reply 2
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Sounds good :smile:

I'm hoping to do ctlls this academic year coming. Have done ptlls.

Pgce is too full time for me in how it's timetabled.

Have you got your teaching placement yet?*

Oh wow, how do you find it all? If you don't mind me asking.

I've got two young kids so PGCE is going to be tough going for me, but going to give it my best shot lol.

No not yet, am waiting for my reading list and timetable still too! Driving me mad not knowing anything. Only 6 weeks till I start!
Reply 3
I did mine last year. Good to see others doing it as it seems underrepresented on here!
Original post by abbieball
Oh wow, how do you find it all? If you don't mind me asking.

I've got two young kids so PGCE is going to be tough going for me, but going to give it my best shot lol.

No not yet, am waiting for my reading list and timetable still too! Driving me mad not knowing anything. Only 6 weeks till I start!

The qualifications formally known as ptlls, ctlls, dtlls can be done privately. I'm doing cttls this way at the moment. It's a lot less sociable because I'm not learning with other teachers to be but the workload is ok so far (although I have yet to be assessed on anything).

What subject do you wish to teach? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by S27
I did mine last year. Good to see others doing it as it seems underrepresented on here!

I agree re under representation. How did you find the course? Are you teaching in a college?
I agree re under representation. How did you find the course? Are you teaching in a college?

How many placements do they put you through or can one choose where to do the placement. I thought about it as one of the unis is only a train ride away.
Reply 7

I thought the course was great, learned a lot and really enjoyed it (mainly because I taught a lot of adults). I have an interview lined up, however my main aim for next year is to convert my credits to a masters.

Original post by Jessica 321
How many placements do they put you through or can one choose where to do the placement. I thought about it as one of the unis is only a train ride away.

One placement. They pick, although there is no reason why you can't ask at interview.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by S27
I thought the course was great, learned a lot and really enjoyed it (mainly because I taught a lot of adults). I have an interview lined up, however my main aim for next year is to convert my credits to a masters.

One placement. They pick, although there is no reason why you can't ask at interview.

I agree that it's good to get your masters credits while on a roll with it :smile:

good luck with the interview :smile: *
Reply 9
I agree that it's good to get your masters credits while on a roll with it :smile:

good luck with the interview :smile: *

Thank you very much!

How about you @beautifulbigmacs ? I remember seeing your name on here lots when I was applying.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by S27
Thank you very much!

How about you @beautifulbigmacs ? I remember seeing your name on here lots when I was applying.

I'm working towards my pgdip (possibly ma...depends on a few things) sociology whilst doing the new ctlls.
Original post by abbieball
Anyone doing PGCE Further Education and training/Post-compulsory Education in Sept 16? I've been offered a place at the University of Portsmouth :smile: xx

Please DO NOT DO POST COMPULSORY PGCE - it is a rip off. I did a PGCE post compulsory at Brighton uni in 2013. I was told that this would qualify me as QTLS. I then worked as a lecturer in a voluntary capacity the year I undertook and passed the PGCE to gather evidence of practice. I was then employed by the college in the following year and given a Teacher Reference Number so I assumed I was qualified. After a two year break for personal reasons I have registered with teaching agencies and since discovered that I am in fact NOT QUALIFIED AS A TEACHER IN ANY CAPACITY. I could have worked in FE without the PGCE and am not a qualified teacher for 14 and above as the university told me I would be. Only if a school hires me as unqualified and agrees to pay for a 4 week course with Society for Education and Training can i get qualified...never going to happen, so wasted a year and £9000. Do not do this course, it is a rip off
Reply 12
Original post by Fanny1975
x

A PGCE in FE does not grant QTLS or QTS. You have to apply for this after, sorry about your experience however you can get QTLS after doing a PGCE in FE.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by S27
A PGCE in FE does not grant QTLS or QTS. You have to apply for this after, sorry about your experience however you can get QTLS after doing a PGCE in FE.

Say like ii i PGCE in FE at cost of 90000 plus loan to live on, how much would QTLS be?

If i decided to do PGCE in Secondary, for the same price would i have to pay for QTLS.

What about my PTLLS, am Oualified to teach using this qualifications in the Adult community learning?
Reply 14
Say like ii i PGCE in FE at cost of 90000 plus loan to live on, how much would QTLS be?

QTLS costs £485. I can't answer you other questions as I don't know enough about them.

If i decided to do PGCE in Secondary, for the same price would i have to pay for QTLS.

What about my PTLLS, am Oualified to teach using this qualifications in the Adult community learning?

Doing a secondary pgce can make you employable in a secondary school as well as a college.

Some teaching jobs will accept applicants with a ptlls. Ptlls is a level 3 qualification. It is the basic qualification and not that of a qualified teacher. You could build on your ptlls by doing the ctlls and dtlls that now go by the new names of level 4 certificate in education and training and level 5 diploma in education and training. Once you have the level 5 diploma in education and training you can apply for QTLS. QTLS can also be applied for if you have a FE PGCE. Different routes, same outcome.*
Hello everyone, I'm thinking of applying to study to become an FE teacher for the Sep 2017 round. I was wondering if you need classroom experience beforehand like with primary/secondary, and which qualification re. PGCE etc would be the best to apply for for FE?

there's so much information out there which is quite overwhelming, so I just wanted some advice from others who have gone through/are going through the same process!

Thank you :-)
Reply 17
Original post by harriet95
x

I replied to your other thread re, experience, but I would say a PGCE would be the best qualification for you.

Also, lots of the other information on here and online is quite general about PGCEs, however a PGCE in FE is quite different.
Original post by S27
I replied to your other thread re, experience, but I would say a PGCE would be the best qualification for you.

Also, lots of the other information on here and online is quite general about PGCEs, however a PGCE in FE is quite different.

ahhh okay yeah! thank you for the advice! I'll ask a careers advisor too at some point about FE PGCE!
To gain QTLS you need to submit a portfolio of evidence of teaching after completing the PCET PGCE. You also need to register with the IFL and pay £485. I have been told by my University, that many employers are willing to fund this. I'm starting a Post-16 PGCE next month and I really want QTLS so that I can work in schools as well as colleges to increase my work options. I really hope I can impress a potential employer to sponsor me to get this, but if not I will be keeping some of my student loan aside to pay for this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending