The Student Room Group

Article: Changes to remarks: A guide for students

The process of re-marking exam papers has changed, and we asked Ofqual to explain what's different. You can read the article here.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you think about these changes? Have you ever had an exam paper re-marked? Tell us your thoughts and experiences below!
This is really unfair I think. I think the examiner remarking first of all should not be told what mark the student is at already, that way there is no bias?

If the difference between the first mark and the second mark is very large, the second mark should be taken or peer reviewed by a third person. If the difference is small then the average should be taken.
Original post by lahorizon
If the difference between the first mark and the second mark is very large, the second mark should be taken or peer reviewed by a third person. If the difference is small then the average should be taken.

This is the best suggestion.

I completely disagree with this system, the first examiner may have just had a bad day or something, maybe didn't properly read something to understand the full point of what was being suggested by the candidate, the second examiner should be used to read more closely, and it should just be ensured they aren't giving marks away, for essay subjects at least.

For non-essay subjects, maths, for example. This system is perfect as an error made in their marking (e.g. an ambiguous method mark) would be seen quickly.
They certainly were not generous before. I got an AS remarked last year because I was on the grade boundary and it went down 9 marks so I dropped a grade. Most the people I know either stayed the same or dropped. I don't think I actually know anymore whose grades went up. They did their best to NOT let your grade go up because if it did they had to refund you, so the basis for this system change is a lie.
Reply 5
They need to mark the papers again without having access to the original examiners marks to stop them from just thinking ' it's about right I guess ' rather than attempting to apply the mark scheme again. Then they should calculate the average marks from marker 1 and marker 2 to give them a new mark. This seems logical tbh
Reply 6
What's so unfair about giving someone an extra mark for the benefit of doubt and the examiner marking it won't know whether the person is only a mark off or not like many people will get remarks when they're like 5 marks off so an extra mark might not even bump them up a grade !?!? Argh.
I understand that giving generous extra marks is wrong, and that it gives an advantage over students that didn't get their script re marked. But at the same time, exam boards changing their re mark rules THIS YEAR gives previous years an unfair advantage over us!

I could have the exact same academic potential as someone last year, we both missed an A but 1 mark, the person last year got it remarked and their grade went up and they got their money back, I get mine remarked this year and nothing happens and I lose my money! This is just a scenario, but I just feel this system will forever be unfair.
" Where a reviewer simply disagrees with the previous marker’s judgement, however, and thinks a candidate’s essay answer is worth 16 marks out of 20 as opposed to the 15 awarded, the original mark will stand unless there is evidence that the original marker made a mistake when they marked. "

So you're telling me that if an examiner takes his time to reread your paper and thinks your essay should be higher, no change would be made unless an error is clearly seen? Surely that's how it should already be?

And how broad is that? The fact that the examiner wants to award higher marks implies that he/she thinks the original examiner made a mistake. Otherwise they wouldn't be disagreeing in the first place.

I agree with what others have said. Remarks should be done with examiners not given access to the original mark until afterwards. It completely removes potential bias. If that's already being done (no no idea if it's in place or not) then this rule change wouldn't/shouldn't be needed.
Original post by lucabrasi98
" Where a reviewer simply disagrees with the previous marker’s judgement, however, and thinks a candidate’s essay answer is worth 16 marks out of 20 as opposed to the 15 awarded, the original mark will stand unless there is evidence that the original marker made a mistake when they marked. "

So you're telling me that if an examiner takes his time to reread your paper and thinks your essay should be higher, no change would be made unless an error is clearly seen? Surely that's how it should already be?

And how broad is that? The fact that the examiner wants to award higher marks implies that he/she thinks the original examiner made a mistake. Otherwise they wouldn't be disagreeing in the first place.

I agree with what others have said. Remarks should be done with examiners not given access to the original mark until afterwards. It completely removes potential bias. If that's already being done (no no idea if it's in place or not) then this rule change wouldn't/shouldn't be needed.

Unfortunately, markers do seem to have access to the original script. When I ordered my script back last year, it had both the original and remarker's marks on it.*
Original post by kingaaran
Unfortunately, markers do seem to have access to the original script. When I ordered my script back last year, it had both the original and remarker's marks on it.*

How stupid. The system can't ever be fair if people can just access original marks and tick a box to say they agree as it's too tempting :/
Original post by kingaaran

Original post by fefssdf
How stupid. The system can't ever be fair if people can just access original marks and tick a box to say they agree as it's too tempting :/

In terms of fairness and accuracy, I see no valid downsides whatsoever to not seeing original marks. I'm trying to wrap my head around their reasoning for not enforcing it.

I hope it's not a stupid reason like "oh but it means the examiner have to spend longer times marking each paper!" Which would lead to "we don't want to spend money on employing more examiners"
In terms of fairness and accuracy, I see no valid downsides whatsoever to not seeing original marks. I'm trying to wrap my head around their reasoning for not enforcing it.

I hope it's not a stupid reason like "oh but it means the examiner have to spend longer times marking each paper!" Which would lead to "we don't want to spend money on employing more examiners"

think you've hit the nail on the head m8

Some scripts are marked by hand, such as AQA A Level English Literature, and the scripts are presumably shipped directly to the examiner. I don't think AQA photocopy the script before doing this, making it impossible to provide the remarker with a clean script because the original has annotations on it.
Reply 14
Original post by lahorizon
This is really unfair I think. I think the examiner remarking first of all should not be told what mark the student is at already, that way there is no bias?

IIRC they belived that there was an issue Because something like 8% of remarks ended up being 2+ grades higher and they didn't think that should happen.
Personally I'd probably have it that the second examiner marks how they see fit and then a third adjudicates between the differences they give.
So does this mean sciences and maths are exempt from the changes as they follow strict mark schemes?
Reply 16
Original post by DesignPredator
So does this mean sciences and maths are exempt from the changes as they follow strict mark schemes?

Not really, you can still have interpretation marks especially in science and Decision maths where it says 'any reasonable answer' but to a much lesser extent.
I agree with the changes to be honest... the logic of it makes sense, and grades really aren't the be all and end all!
Grades can be significant and a remark can make all the difference. Our son's English Lit A/S was submitted for remarking and jumped from around 87/120 to 117/120.

This meant that he chose to carry on Eng Lit to A2, dropping a fourth A Level to concentrate on his three strongest. He then when onto get an A* in English and that was the A* he needed to get into Cambridge 😀.
He's just completed his first year with a First and is loving his course - but maybe he would not have been there unless that remark had been undertaken.
Reply 19
To be fair the way the coursework and papers are marked seems rushed and not thought through, especially when it can be subjective to the examiner's opinion. In AS i got something remarked and it went up by 15 raw marks - from a C to an A, which is just crazy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending