The Student Room Group

New Maths GCSE 9-1 Sample Question Confused?!

Capture.PNG

Anyone know how to solve this step by step

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NothingButWaleed
Capture.PNG

Instead of telling you the answer, which you could probably find online. It'd be much more beneficial if you went through it step by step. Firstly, find a common denominator.
Capture.PNG

3(x-1) + 4(x+2) = 12x(5)
3x - 3 + 4x +8 = 60x
5 = 53x
x =5/53
Reply 3
Capture.PNG

You do, if you look at what your teacher taught you and apply it here.
Thanks for the help!
:u:
Reply 5
Thanks for the help!
:u:

That's not help. Moreover, he wrote out the answer which is actually not allowed.
Original post by EwanWest
3(x-1) + 4(x+2) = 12x(5)
3x - 3 + 4x +8 = 60x
5 = 53x
x =5/53

But doesnt it turn into a quadratic?

Where does the "x" go when you do
3(x-1) + 4(x+2)???
Reply 7

3(x-1) + 4(x+2)???

You are correct, to get a common denominator you need to times the tops and bottoms by the denominator of the opposing side it should be:

Numerators: 3x(x-1) + 4x(x+2)
Denominator: 4x(3x) + 3x(4x)

So you should get up with (after multiplying out the brackets):

3x²-3x/12x² + 4x²+8/12² = 5

Then, I recommend you add up the fractions, and get rid of the denominator. Then you end up with a quadratic :smile:
Original post by Locyce
You are correct, to get a common denominator you need to times the tops and bottoms by the denominator of the opposing side it should be:

Then, I recommend you add up the fractions, and get rid of the denominator. Then you end up with a quadratic :smile:

What should I do after i get:
7x²+5x=60x²
What should I do after i get:
7x²+5x=60x²

Get the equation equaling 0 and take out a common factor.

-53x2+5x=0

Take out that negative

-x(53x-5)=0

Then multiply by sides by -1, and you'll get a final answer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EwanWest
3(x-1) + 4(x+2) = 12x(5)
3x - 3 + 4x +8 = 60x
5 = 53x
x =5/53

How about we don't give away full solutions? You may as well do his maths work for him at this rate.
Reply 11
Have you learn't how to solve a quadratic? If you haven't, you really need to get on that, perhaps one of the first things really. There are a few ways to solve a quadratic.

This is the format of a quadratic: ax²+bx+c=0 (Where a,b and c are integers, you must rearrange an equation to this format before trying to solve it)

According to the quadratic, it need to be solved in different ways - dependant on the situation:

1) When a=1 (eg. x²-3x-10=0)
2) When a is not = 1 (eg. 2x²-9x+4=0)
3) Completing the square
4) Graphically

Note: 1 and 2 is just a case of factorising, 3 is largely the same thing, but looks a little fancier and usually used in function questions, an A* topic

If you've learn't how to solve quadratics, reply to this comment and I'll go through it with you step by step. If you have, you can go ahead and attempt your original question.
Original post by Locyce
Have you learn't how to solve a quadratic? If you haven't, you really need to get on that, perhaps one of the first things really. There are a few ways to solve a quadratic.

This is the format of a quadratic: ax²+bx+c=0 (Where a,b and c are integers, you must rearrange an equation to this format before trying to solve it)

According to the quadratic, it need to be solved in different ways - dependant on the situation:

1) When a=1 (eg. x²-3x-10=0)
2) When a is not = 1 (eg. 2x²-9x+4=0)
3) Completing the square
4) Graphically

Note: 1 and 2 is just a case of factorising, 3 is largely the same thing, but looks a little fancier and usually used in function questions, an A* topic

If you've learn't how to solve quadratics, reply to this comment and I'll go through it with you step by step. If you have, you can go ahead and attempt your original question.

No need to form any quadratic's here. That would literally take longer, and one of the solutions wouldn't be valid when you solve it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Locyce

I'm maths tutor that's correct
Reply 14
Original post by RDKGames
No need to form any quadratic's here. That would literally take longer, and one of the solutions wouldn't be valid when you solve it.

Of course! I've totally forgotten the last way! So sorry!

5) The Quadratic Equation, You must learn this off by heart, learn it better than your own name (In my maths teacher words)

Attachment not found
Where a,b and c are integers from the original ax²+bx+c=0 format

If you need help explaining, I'm glad to help.
Original post by Locyce
Of course! I've totally forgotten the last way! So sorry!

5) The Quadratic Equation, You must learn this off by heart, learn it better than your own name (In my maths teacher words)

Where a,b and c are integers from the original ax²+bx+c=0 format

If you need help explaining, I'm glad to help.

I'm sorry but I think you missed my point?

Why are you explaining quadratics to him when he isn't even required to solve one?
Reply 16
I'm sorry but I think you missed my point?

Why are you explaining quadratics to him when he isn't even required to solve one?

Sorry, but I'm sure in GCSE maths, you'll need to solve a quadratic.

If you're referring to this specific question, perhaps you can give me some insight, I'm always happy to learn! (Even though it's summer break!) :smile:
Original post by Locyce
Sorry, but I'm sure in GCSE maths, you'll need to solve a quadratic.

If you're referring to this specific question, perhaps you can give me some insight, I'm always happy to learn! (Even though it's summer break!) :smile:

Yes, at GCSE you are required to solve quadratics, but not for this particular question.

Since OP already has the answer spoilt for him, here it is:

x14x+x+23x=5\frac{x-1}{4x}+\frac{x+2}{3x}=5

x14+x+23=5x\rightarrow \frac{x-1}{4}+\frac{x+2}{3}=5x

3(x1)+4(x+2)=5x12\rightarrow 3(x-1)+4(x+2)=5x \cdot 12

and solve it from there without much fuss of a quadratic.

IF we are going with a quadratic like your's and get to the stage of 53x25x=053x^2-5x=0 we can simply divide by x and get 53x5=053x-5=0.

Before anyone jumps and says that we cannot divide by x, well we can. Only because in this particular scenario x0x\not= 0 otherwise the original equation wouldn't make sense due to division by 0.
Reply 18
Yes, at GCSE you are required to solve quadratics, but not for this particular question.

Since OP already has the answer spoilt for him, here it is:

x14x+x+23x=5\frac{x-1}{4x}+\frac{x+2}{3x}=5

x14+x+23=5x\rightarrow \frac{x-1}{4}+\frac{x+2}{3}=5x

3(x1)+4(x+2)=5x12\rightarrow 3(x-1)+4(x+2)=5x \cdot 12

and solve it from there without much fuss of a quadratic.

IF we are going with a quadratic like your's and get to the stage of 53x25x=053x^2-5x=0 we can simply divide by x and get 53x5=053x-5=0.

Before anyone jumps and says that we cannot divide by x, well we can. Only because in this particular scenario x0x\not= 0 otherwise the original equation wouldn't make sense due to division by 0.

Ah, okay. Now i'm regretting losing all of that time at my GCSE Exam, but of course I did the easier old spec. This new 9-1 spec is going to be much tougher (though much more exciting)

Thanks for your reply :smile:
Capture.PNG

Pretty sure it's not a quadratic.

You need to find the common denominator, which is 12x (response to

3(x-1) + 4(x+2)???

Quick Reply

Latest