The Student Room Group

How likely is it that my grade will go up after a remark?

I am in year 10 and going into year 11 in September... I collected my results for core science on the 25th. This is what I got:

Biology (B1) 42 UMS / 19 Raw marks [D] (7 marks from away from a C)
Chemistry (C1) 47 UMS / 28 Raw marks [D] (1 mark way from a C!)
Physics (P1) 46 UMS / 20 Raw marks [D] (2 marks away from a C!)

I doubt biology will go up to a C grade but it annoyed me that I was only 1 mark away from a C in chemistry and 2 away for a C in physics!

How likely is it that I could get a C in chemistry after a remark?

I got a C overall but it is annoying when you see that you are only 1 mark off a C and get awarded a D instead.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JackT2000
I am in year 10 and going into year 11 in September... I collected my results for core science on the 25th. This is what I got:

I doubt biology will go up to a C grade but it annoyed me that I was only 1 mark away from a C in chemistry and 2 away for a C in physics!

I got a C overall but it is annoying when you see that you are only 1 mark off a C and get awarded a D instead.

thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg
Not sure if this would help
Original post by JackT2000

Statistically, it's 18% chance of it changing at all. Not sure about it going up.
Reply 3
There is no point getting a re-mark. No one will see anything but the overall C grade so why waste £33 in the hope that one unit might change a bit?
(edited 7 years ago)
I have a question which is that I got In my AQA HIGHER SCA1HP and SCA2HP 223 in total so how many marks is that and how many do I need for a C? And I got 77 marks for the first paper which is (128 UMS) and 91 marks for the second paper which is 160 UMS but that adds up round 297? Why does it say 223?
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
There is no point getting a re-mark. No one will see anything but the overall C grade so why waste £33 in the hope that one unit might change a bit/

True that makes sense but it is annoying to think that I was a few marks off a C in chem and physics.

Maybe I should just focus on other subjects like maths and english.

A retake next year is always an option that is open, but a C is an okay grade I guess? (well for me anyway!)
Reply 6
Original post by Rosie_xxxoo
I have a question which is that I got In my AQA HIGHER SCA1HP and SCA2HP 223 in total so how many marks is that and how many do I need for a C? And I got 77 marks for the first paper which is (128 UMS) and 91 marks for the second paper which is 160 UMS but that adds up round 297? Why does it say 223?

Send me a pic of your results slip and I can check for you?
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
There is no point getting a re-mark. No one will see anything but the overall C grade so why waste £33 in the hope that one unit might change a bit?

h you get your money back, if it does.
Cu
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Statistically, it's 18% chance of it changing at all. Not sure about it going up.

Which statistics are these?
Reply 9

I'm not that familiar with AQA, but the marks you are given are always UMS, not raw marks. You have to add together the marks from Unit 1, Unit 2 and the controlled assessment which I''m guessing you got 55 in (as 77+91+55=223) to get the overall UMS. I think it's out of 400 so you'd need 240 for a C
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Compost
I'm not that familiar with AQA, but the marks you are given are always UMS, not raw marks. You have to add together the marks from Unit 1, Unit 2 and the controlled assessment which I''m guessing you got 55 in as 77+91+55=223) to get the overall UMS. I think it's out of 400 so you'd need 240 for a C

I don't think it's 240 cus on the foundation paper u neef atleast 240 to get a C but I did the higher paper? Isn't the higer paper supposed to be lower?
I don't think it's 240 cus on the foundation paper u neef atleast 240 to get a C but I did the higher paper? Isn't the higer paper supposed to be lower?

The raw to UMS adjustment takes care of that. You need 240 on either tier.

Quick Reply

Latest