The Student Room Group

At what month is an application considered "early"??

So yeah, in the hope of obtaining a scholarship, I am hoping to be able to apply to my university of choice in October (for the academic year 2017-2018), Is that considered an early application? What is considered an early application in your opinion?
(edited 7 years ago)
What sort of funding are you hoping for? Research Council studentship schemes have a closing date in Dec/Jan and all will be advertised from about October. Other adhoc studentships will be advertised as and when. Oxbridge has a system all of its own and seems to have a very early Jan deadline nor just for funding but for place.

Yes, you can apply 'early' but this doesnt mean you are any more likely to get funding - it isnt 'first in first served'. Take time to identify that the dept has the right academics/interests and what their funding is/how it works. Just firing off an application with 'I'd like to be considered for funding' in October wont be what matters. Have you emailed any likely academics with a brief 'this is who I am, this is what I's like to do, is this the sort of project/topic your dept would be interested in?' type email. If it is, then follow this up with a 'I will need funding, what is available and when should I apply?' email. Applications arriving out of the blue usually are not as successful as those that follow up contact already made. Have you written the best application possible? If you are still at Uni then its a good idea to show your 'statement' to a friendly academic for comments/advice - and their advice about the Uni/dept you have approached. And, of course, you must tell any referees what you are applying for, and ask them if they would like a copy of your 'statement'.

Much of the process of getting funding is gradual and is almost like a form of 'flirting' - academics like being approached by potential students (its an ego thing) and if they like what you are suggesting they will 'push' for you in any competitive funding. Even if you are applying for a specific advertised project studentship then an email 'This is my background, does this fit what you are looking for' email is also sensible. Short emails, or chatting to them at conferences etc, is always the way to start, and before you actually put in an application.
It's near-impossible to make a successful application in October unless you already have a masters. Otherwise it would give you only a number of weeks into the masters to have written a highly competitive proposal, impressed your referees, and contacted/built rapport with potential supervisors. Most people will apply at Christmas/January when the deadline arrives, giving you several months to do the above.

Not to mention, applying early does not improve your chances of success in any way.
Reply 3
I apologise for not making myself clear, I was reffering to applications for a Msc degree. :tongue:
Original post by Vallern
I apologise for not making myself clear, I was reffering to applications for a Msc degree. :tongue:

Best thing to do is get a list together of all the scholarships and funding bodies you want to apply to with their respective deadlines and go from there. If you have two good references lined up already and have written a statement for a taught masters, then you will certainly be able to get the applications in for October if you wish, just know the timing has no bearing on the application so don't rush it for that reason.

I personally waited until the very end of the scholarship deadlines (Jan/Feb) so that I could use my dissertation supervisor as a referee because this is the best reference you can have to detail your suitability for postgraduate study. Another benefit of applying after Christmas is that you'll have your January results and lots of applications ask for a complete breakdown of your interim transcript so if you can show a high average in your first half of final year, it's more impressive than just showing first and second year module grades. It also gives you time to write a particularly good statement of interest. Best of luck.
Find when the application for the master's course open, if you send it within the 3-4 weeks of it opening, it most likely is going to be considered "early"...
Reply 6
Original post by macromicro
Best thing to do is get a list together of all the scholarships and funding bodies you want to apply to with their respective deadlines and go from there. If you have two good references lined up already and have written a statement for a taught masters, then you will certainly be able to get the applications in for October if you wish, just know the timing has no bearing on the application so don't rush it for that reason.

I personally waited until the very end of the scholarship deadlines (Jan/Feb) so that I could use my dissertation supervisor as a referee because this is the best reference you can have to detail your suitability for postgraduate study. Another benefit of applying after Christmas is that you'll have your January results and lots of applications ask for a complete breakdown of your interim transcript so if you can show a high average in your first half of final year, it's more impressive than just showing first and second year module grades. It also gives you time to write a particularly good statement of interest. Best of luck.

Since I have already completed my undergraduate degree and will spend this year serving in the military (mandatory in my country) is october/november considered early? What I mean to say is that what would you estimate is the percentage if those who apply before december?
Thanks again in advance :tongue:
Original post by Vallern
Since I have already completed my undergraduate degree and will spend this year serving in the military (mandatory in my country) is october/november considered early? What I mean to say is that what would you estimate is the percentage if those who apply before december?
Thanks again in advance :tongue:

Ah, I see, yes it would certainly be considered early. My estimate would be that perhaps no more than 10% apply by October with a steady rise which then booms in December/January for the deadlines, at which point the vast majority of those applying for funding will have applied.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending