The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Hey guys :smile:
I was an unsuccessful 2011 app... taking a gap year this year.
So I'll be re-applying for 2012 entry with you guys :smile:
Currently thinking: Liverpool, Bristol and RVC... not sure about my last one yet!
Anyone else on here doing a gap year? If so what have you got planned?
Reply 381
Original post by dol:)
Hey guys :smile:
I was an unsuccessful 2011 app... taking a gap year this year.
So I'll be re-applying for 2012 entry with you guys :smile:
Currently thinking: Liverpool, Bristol and RVC... not sure about my last one yet!
Anyone else on here doing a gap year? If so what have you got planned?

Hi! Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful this time round - snap! Where did you apply to for 2011?

I'm on my gap year as of June 1st 3.30pm - EXCITED :biggrin: first time out of education for...16 years! :biggrin: Got lots of work experience planned and soon I will have a job (and possibly 2 come October) in my town :smile: Other than that not got much planned, maybe a little winter break? What are you hoping to do for yours?
Reply 382
Original post by schizopear

Thank you :smile: That's what my family says but tbh I just feel like I made a crazy leap into the unknown...not any big, brave decision :tongue:

I'm not sure which I would prefer to go to tbh...I grew up in Glasgow so my heart is in both cities and at home! My main reason for choosing Edi would be the people there...but by the time I get there (IF I get there!) they'll all have finished their degrees and most want to move away anyways :s-smilie: I have accomm there though so that's a big persuader! This is all based on if I get a choice though, which would be very lucky indeed! I'd be happy to move wherever accepted me :biggrin:

My teachers tell me its a very common thing for pupils to rush into a decision about what they want to do, not think about it enough etc I know I certainly was one of them! Psychology sounds like a fascinating subject though! That's great that you are going for vet med though - wishing you the best of luck :biggrin:

Been reading "Getting into: Veterinary School" whilst cooped up in bed...managed to get to the end and it's talking about careers after graduation...does anyone have any clue what they'd like to do?? Or just going to wait and see?? In my dream world I'd love to be a marine vet or work abroad on exotic animals (South africa is the big BIG dream!) but I think (to suit other parts of my life, which I know I want a certain way) it's going to be mixed practice in the countryside for me :smile: The female James Herriot :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 383
Original post by totallyme
Hi! Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful this time round - snap! Where did you apply to for 2011?

I'm on my gap year as of June 1st 3.30pm - EXCITED :biggrin: first time out of education for...16 years! :biggrin: Got lots of work experience planned and soon I will have a job (and possibly 2 come October) in my town :smile: Other than that not got much planned, maybe a little winter break? What are you hoping to do for yours?

Nottingham (had an interview so can't re-apply there :frown: ) liverpool, bristol and RVC

W/E for the entire rest of this year, planning on getting a job jan-march and then hopefully going to aus!!! I was so so gutted not to get in this year but I am really excited to have a gap year, everyone says that they are amazing! The hardest thing will be watching my friends go to uni and having fun at freshers. But I guess I'll get to do that next year :P (hopefully) where did you apply to this time round?
Reply 384
Original post by dol:)

That's a shame about Notts :frown: You applying to Liv, Bristol and RVC again? What's your 4th choice, you decided?

That sounds awesome :biggrin: I've always wanted to go to Australia - looks amaaaazing!! Where abouts u planning to go there? Bit of touring around?

Yeah, everyone I know says gap years are fantastic! Just a shame that for everyone else they can jet off all year :rolleyes: but then again I am not complaining - would rather do work experience in the UK than go anywhere else in the world :biggrin:

Ach, don't worry about everyone else doing freshers weeks! I've done a 1st year one, a 2nd year one and the 2 re-freshers weeks in-between - they were ok but I bet they'll be nothing compared to one vet freshers! Even though I've not taken part they sound AMAZING - definitely will make up for doing it a year after friends!! :biggrin:

For 2011 I applied to Cambridge (got interviewed), edi, glasgow and RVC. This time going for edi, glas, RVC and notts...maybe :smile:
Reply 385
I'm gonna go for Bristol (Fave.), Liverpool, Cambridge and Edinburgh! Though I may swap round Cambridge come Summer exams! Getting nervous about it all now, its so close! I have all my gap year planned though so that if I don't get in I'll have an action plan :wink:
Original post by kookabura
I know you posted this a few days ago, but I've just seen it now :smile:

Normally a week/day is classed as whatever the normal working week/day of that place is. So it may be a 5 day week of 8 til 3. Or, like my lambing placement just has been, a 7 day week of 16 hour days.

I would be careful about 'accumulating' extra days in this way, as if any of the uni's do check with placements/references against number of days you have listed in your personal statement things won't quite add up. If a placement has listed you as being there 5 days and you've put that you have done more. It's unfortunate I know, esp for places where you do work long hours, but generally speaking it is generally expected as being the norm (esp for farming placements) that you will often be working 10 hour days (or more.)

Ah okay. I'm going to count hours for my long term placement, because that'll be about 3 weeks worth and that's a very substantial amount of time I think! But i'll just count however many hours as a day :smile:
Reply 387
Original post by kookabura
Nottm, RVC and Camb who (at the moment) all charge lower fees for grads have fairly low work exp requirements, so you would meet all of them anyway. I would say if you can get dairy work booked then you have covered all the areas you need to.

What I would say, from experience, is don't let any of this impact on your degree now. You only have this chance to get a 2:1/first for your degree, if the worst came to the worst and you graduated without a strong application in other ways, you could always take a year out to get more placements etc then, but you wouldn't be able to do anything about having ended up with a 2:2 in your degree.

There are quite a lot of people on the grad course at RVC who have come straight from uni, but there are also a lot of people who have taken time out (some 1 year, some several). So really, don't risk you degree classification over work experience now :smile: I would say that with the experience you have if would def be worth applying, and if you don't get in you can always apply again the next year.

Bear in mind as well that Camb and RVC have the BMAT that you need to sit, which will also take a bit of preparation time Sept/Oct.

Original post by schizopear
to be honest, i think your work experience looks pretty good!

if you can find a dairy farm and maybe a cattery then you should have all the basics covered, and your lab work sounds interesting and a bit different.

No problem at all :smile: I absolutely know the feeling about the breakdowns doing reports - STILL doing my 3 reports with sinusitis and what has now become a whopping 3 day solid migraine :rolleyes:

Yeah definitely worth booking work experience in faaaar advance, last August I had booked my lambing in April. Which I sadly was due to start yesterday but I feel (and look I'm told :rolleyes:) like death, soo annoyed at the immune system :angry:

Thanks :smile: Not sure what it was that got me the interview but I mucked it up in the end so definitely will be working on that, at least I know a little of what to expect now - hadn't even had a mock :s-smilie: Well apart from my boyfriend trying to ask me questions, having no clue what the questions meant and me ending up in fits of giggles :rolleyes:

Thinking Edi, Glas, Notts and RVC but I'm still not 100% sure...depends on grades etc :smile: As a graduate are you hoping for RVC and Notts? Which one is your fav?

Thanks guys :biggrin: :colondollar:
Do cambridge charge lower fees as well? I didn't know that I thought it was just Notts and RVC!

Kookabura- you're right, when you put it that way I only get one shot at my degree and can always get more work exp. Will be good to get comfortable with the application system anyway even if I don't get in. Were you a graduate when you applied to RVC then?

Schizopear- Thanks :biggrin: Yeh I am working very hard to find a dairy farm placement, may try and do a couple of days at a cattery too... Yeh the lab stuff sounds really cool! No idea what to expect yet though :P

Totallyme- Aw you poor thing :frown: I don't even have the excuse of being ill at the moment... just a bit stressed out :P Thats so annoying how you had to cancel the lambing :frown: Do you reckon you will be able to start it soon or are you going to book another placement?

Ha I haven't had any mock interviews yet so will probably be making the boyf do some stuff... that will be interesting :P

I really love RVC and Edinburgh, even though Edi has really high fees I just totally love it :rolleyes: Apart from that I have no idea where I would apply to... Liverpool is amazing but of course you need very high amounts of work exp and money :| And I can't apply to notts as I don't have chem A level (I emailed everywhere to check if I could still apply and they all said yes apart from Notts :rolleyes:) So at the moment.. RVC is my fav:biggrin: Do you have a favourite?
Reply 388
Original post by Tali_91
Do cambridge charge lower fees as well? I didn't know that I thought it was just Notts and RVC!

Kookabura- you're right, when you put it that way I only get one shot at my degree and can always get more work exp. Will be good to get comfortable with the application system anyway even if I don't get in. Were you a graduate when you applied to RVC then?

Schizopear- Thanks :biggrin: Yeh I am working very hard to find a dairy farm placement, may try and do a couple of days at a cattery too... Yeh the lab stuff sounds really cool! No idea what to expect yet though :P

Totallyme- Aw you poor thing :frown: I don't even have the excuse of being ill at the moment... just a bit stressed out :P Thats so annoying how you had to cancel the lambing :frown: Do you reckon you will be able to start it soon or are you going to book another placement?

Ha I haven't had any mock interviews yet so will probably be making the boyf do some stuff... that will be interesting :P

I really love RVC and Edinburgh, even though Edi has really high fees I just totally love it :rolleyes: Apart from that I have no idea where I would apply to... Liverpool is amazing but of course you need very high amounts of work exp and money :| And I can't apply to notts as I don't have chem A level (I emailed everywhere to check if I could still apply and they all said yes apart from Notts :rolleyes:) So at the moment.. RVC is my fav:biggrin: Do you have a favourite?

You dont have a chem a level ? maybe you should try and get at least an AS as i thought most were wuite specific (other than liv) that they want biology chemistry and a 3rd subject at A level :smile:
Reply 389
Original post by Jam :)
You dont have a chem a level ? maybe you should try and get at least an AS as i thought most were wuite specific (other than liv) that they want biology chemistry and a 3rd subject at A level :smile:

Aye I know thats what I thought as well. In first year here I did a chemistry module which was damn intense and covered quite alot of the stuff which was done at A level (apparently) and got quite a high first in it, so the unis asked me for proof of that and they said it was fine. Well all apart from notts! No doubt it will put me at a disadvantage though.

But you're right, if I don't get in first time round and have to take a gap year I am definitely going to try and do at least an AS in Chemistry :smile:
Reply 390
Original post by Tali_91
Aye I know thats what I thought as well. In first year here I did a chemistry module which was damn intense and covered quite alot of the stuff which was done at A level (apparently) and got quite a high first in it, so the unis asked me for proof of that and they said it was fine. Well all apart from notts! No doubt it will put me at a disadvantage though.

But you're right, if I don't get in first time round and have to take a gap year I am definitely going to try and do at least an AS in Chemistry :smile:

Ahh thats okay then :smile: glad its alright then sounds like a nice way of avoiding blooody ALEVEL its tough
Reply 391
Original post by Jam :)
Ahh thats okay then :smile: glad its alright then sounds like a nice way of avoiding blooody ALEVEL its tough

Yeh, I don't want it to seem like I was trying to avoid A level chem though - that wouldn't be fair :frown:
My teachers were iffy about letting me take A level chem as I only got AA in double award science, not A*A* :frown: Stupid people :mad: lol.

I'm sure you'll do well in it :smile:
Reply 392
Hellooo. :biggrin: I'm in a super mood as I'm currently on a placement at an alpaca farm, it's pretty cool. I also got an email from Edinburgh (finally) and we're making progress so I'm quietly confident that I'll get to apply there too this year. :smile: I don't have a dairy placement yet, although I am looking, and I know it's one of the basics that you need, so I have a question if someone wouldn't mind having a bash at it? I'm going to Ireland this summer with my friend and her cousin owns a dairy farm and he said he'd show me around one day. I'll ask when I'm there if I can spend a few days working with him (as long as my friend doesn't mind me ditching her) but if I can't, do you think that the unis would be okay with me mentioning it in my PS? Because even though it isn't an actual placement, I'd have at least seen a dairy and understand how it works etc.
Original post by Tali_91

cambridge charge the lower fees but with college fees on top.
Reply 394
Grr wrote all this and it took me so long I got signed out of TSR...second try! :rolleyes:

Original post by Beccy99
I'm gonna go for Bristol (Fave.), Liverpool, Cambridge and Edinburgh! Though I may swap round Cambridge come Summer exams! Getting nervous about it all now, its so close! I have all my gap year planned though so that if I don't get in I'll have an action plan :wink:

Same here! 2 months until exams and 6 and a half months to application :eek: freaking out!

What have you got planned for your gap year if you have to take one? Fingers crossed you don't.

Original post by Tali_91

Thankfully the farmer and his family live next door and are family friends so I just let him know I was ill. Now going to start on the 11th for a full-time week and then do part-time after that as it'll getting close to exams and I'll have school again :frown: wish I could do more but these lambies have picked a bad couple of months to be born in for colliding with exams :tongue:

That sucks about the A level and Notts, shame they don't take into account the chem you did at uni :frown: Edi or Glasgow are my faves atm (I think) but mainly just because of the closeness to home really and because they are AVMA accredited (so RVC is right up there...minus the long journey home!). I do love the sound of Notts though...oh it's difficult! Going to check out open days soon and tbh I'd go anywhere that offered me a place so they're all favourites!

Original post by Marley13
Hellooo. :biggrin: I'm in a super mood as I'm currently on a placement at an alpaca farm, it's pretty cool. I also got an email from Edinburgh (finally) and we're making progress so I'm quietly confident that I'll get to apply there too this year. :smile: I don't have a dairy placement yet, although I am looking, and I know it's one of the basics that you need, so I have a question if someone wouldn't mind having a bash at it? I'm going to Ireland this summer with my friend and her cousin owns a dairy farm and he said he'd show me around one day. I'll ask when I'm there if I can spend a few days working with him (as long as my friend doesn't mind me ditching her) but if I can't, do you think that the unis would be okay with me mentioning it in my PS? Because even though it isn't an actual placement, I'd have at least seen a dairy and understand how it works etc.

Glad to hear you are having a good time at the alpaca farm, sounds very cool!! Fingers crossed it's good news from Edinburgh! Not sure if the dairy counts unless you worked the full day doing things around the farm? But it never hurts to mention things that you've done!
Reply 395
I should probably introduce myself so
heeeeeeeeeeeeey
i highly doubt that i will get onto a vet course as I only got A*aaabbcc at gcse and i'm only doing bio, chem and r.e this year (plus general, but that doesn't count :tongue:) though i plan to do a psychology AS next year.
so far i have
1 week small animal vet
2 weeks dog grooming
every saturday morning for a couple of months calving/dairy (ongoing)
sunday morning kennel and cattery (ongoing)
2 years nvq every thursday in horsecare, so working with horses allday 8-4
and have lambing and another week in a vet planned.
i plan on getting 2 more weeks in vets and anything else i can get hold of tbh :/
Reply 396
Not sure if the dairy counts unless you worked the full day doing things around the farm? But it never hurts to mention things that you've done!

I wouldn't be counting it as a placement, just letting them know that although I didn't have proper experience in that area that I'd at least had a look around and knew what to expect etc. I'll give them a call when I get home and see what they say, hopefully I'll find a farm though and it won't matter. :smile:
How's your fundraising and exams going?
Reply 397
Original post by Lauren222

Hi! :biggrin:

I wouldn't be counting it as a placement, just letting them know that although I didn't have proper experience in that area that I'd at least had a look around and knew what to expect etc. I'll give them a call when I get home and see what they say, hopefully I'll find a farm though and it won't matter. :smile:
How's your fundraising and exams going?

Good luck finding a farm! Sure you will :smile: And woop for going to Ireland in the summer! Whereabouts?

Fundraising was at a standstill but mum and I are going shopping for crafty bits and pieces tomorrow - woop :biggrin: and reports are going dire! I've been ill so trying to string together comprehensible words in an intelligent way is the last thing I've been able to do :tongue: Ah well, I'll get it all out of the way soon enough - good first drafts going in on Friday so I can say BYE BYE to them for the holidays :biggrin: On a happier note though I did all the Unit 1 chem questions in the 2000's papers and got 87% overall so veeeery hopeful for the main exam!

Also in a super mood like you as I've just got another placement booked with the scottish wildlife trust :biggrin: Going to be staring at ospreys all day :tongue:
Reply 398

Same here! 2 months until exams and 6 and a half months to application :eek: freaking out!

What have you got planned for your gap year if you have to take one? Fingers crossed you don't.

I know! Revision mind-maps everywhere at the moment in my room!

For my gap year I was thinking getting a job somewhere for 6 months whilst getting either:
- Better grades on the subject if I didn't get in because of grades
- Better work experience in the area I'm lacking in if it was w/e
Hopefully if I don't its just because of loads of applicants and I can just raise money!

Then for the second half I'd go to South Africa or maybe Disneys Animal Kingdom in Florida? It all depends, Disney may sound a leetle bit rubbish but it actually looks amazing! They have what actually looks like a Savannah!
Basically its working for half and the WOW on my application for the second half!

What are you thinking of doing if you have to gap it up?

could you just go and help with the milking (morning or evening)? that way you wouldn't have to abandon your friend for more than a few hours!

i've never spent a full day at the dairy, i just help with the milking and i've still learnt a lot and become more confident with cows so it's definitely good experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending