The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
I didn't think anyone had posted about being behind on work experience recently :s-smilie: On a positive note, I like all the vet talk about things we've seen at work experience :smile:

Original post by m.ben

Not going to either :frown: Remember to tell us all what you thought :smile:
Original post by totallyme
What other problems do the horses have?

One has windsucking and a sarkoid. Another one also has a sarkoid and has overreached. One has COPD and something else.. Eee.. I can't remember everything, I got told so much stuff! But the owner offered to go through each of the horses individually and cover their previous ailments and problems and treatments so I can make notes, woohoo! :biggrin:
I'll make sure to tell you what's what once I know everything.
Original post by m.ben

Original post by m.ben
anyone going 2 nottingham ui summer school nxt week on the vet strand ... i cant wait !
goin 2 bristol open day 2mrw :smile:

i going to bristol tomoz!!
Reply 783
Original post by Stir fried Giblets

Sounds very interesting! Yeah, let us know :biggrin:

Don't know if I learnt much new today...got to drive the work car though :biggrin: rode bareback down the road, groomed, went on a hack, cleaned up....oh and heard about something called danilon...(sp?)...going to look it up in a bit...after I've baked at least 6 cakes and some tray-bakes (bake sale tomorrow). Oh and that sometimes if a pony/horse is rubbing it's bum on a wall in the stable it might not mean it has sweet itch but could be because it has stiff hamstrings.

Wasn't sure what would happen today (day 3) after being soaked on day 1 and having my toes jumped onto on day 2....the dog ate my lunch :tongue: wasn't expecting that....fair play.
Reply 784
I cannot believe Scotland are increasing fees to up to £9,000 a year. -____- Every member of staff from a Scottish uni who I've spoken to has said that it was incredibly unlikely that this would happen...

So jealous of the people who are Scottish and won't have to pay - you have no clue how lucky you are!
Reply 785
Original post by KateMP

:frown:
Sounds very interesting! Yeah, let us know :biggrin:

Don't know if I learnt much new today...got to drive the work car though :biggrin: rode bareback down the road, groomed, went on a hack, cleaned up....oh and heard about something called danilon...(sp?)...going to look it up in a bit...after I've baked at least 6 cakes and some tray-bakes (bake sale tomorrow). Oh and that sometimes if a pony/horse is rubbing it's bum on a wall in the stable it might not mean it has sweet itch but could be because it has stiff hamstrings.

Wasn't sure what would happen today (day 3) after being soaked on day 1 and having my toes jumped onto on day 2....the dog ate my lunch :tongue: wasn't expecting that....fair play.

or it just has an itch...? :wink:

you seem to be enjoying your placement this time - wasn't it you who had a really bad experience at your last stables?
Reply 787
Original post by schizopear
or it just has an itch...? :wink:

you seem to be enjoying your placement this time - wasn't it you who had a really bad experience at your last stables?

Haha yeah or that!

Yeah, that was me. It was truly awful! Thank goodness I found this place :biggrin: they're so friendly and relaxed here, feel I've really fitted in well already and learnt a lot. Lost a lot of confidence after the last place but it's come back now thanks to the people at this stable :smile:
Haha yeah or that!

Yeah, that was me. It was truly awful! Thank goodness I found this place :biggrin: they're so friendly and relaxed here, feel I've really fitted in well already and learnt a lot. Lost a lot of confidence after the last place but it's come back now thanks to the people at this stable :smile:

i'm glad to hear that :smile: how much longer are you there for?
Reply 789
Original post by schizopear
i'm glad to hear that :smile: how much longer are you there for?

Just doing Monday - Friday this week, got next week off and then Monday - Sunday for 2 weeks - can't wait :biggrin: my legs definitely need that week off though, been riding loads. :tongue:

Did ragwort picking today and learnt lots about what horses can and can't eat (shall elaborate later - baking atm). Great day :biggrin:
ah you guys are so lucky. my horses work experience, although it was brilliant, the people there didn't really know much about horses' diseases, etc and there weren't any vet visits so i couldn't ask much about the health side of things :K luckily i'm going to an amazing equine hospital (the head of the liverpool equine department likes it so it must be good!) so i should be able to learn a lot there :biggrin:

Did ragwort picking today and learnt lots about what horses can and can't eat (shall elaborate later - baking atm). Great day :biggrin:

I did hemlock picking today! There was so much of it! My face is completely utterly burnt (thank you nature for making me ginger :rolleyes:)
And why are you're always baking, send me some in the post!

Also a general question to everyone. Anyone got an idea of what sorta protective boots to buy?
I've been nosying at these:

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/Equestrian/Women/Footwear+and+Chaps/Jodhpur+and+Paddock+Boots/Mountain+Horse+Protective+Jodhpur_552-0026.htm

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/Equestrian/Women/Footwear+and+Chaps/Jodhpur+and+Paddock+Boots/Mountain+Horse+Rimfrost+Paddock_552-0055.htm

But I'm a complete noob at this. Do I go for protection of a steel toecap or ankle padding most?
Original post by dizzeedollee
ah you guys are so lucky. my horses work experience, although it was brilliant, the people there didn't really know much about horses' diseases, etc and there weren't any vet visits so i couldn't ask much about the health side of things :K luckily i'm going to an amazing equine hospital (the head of the liverpool equine department likes it so it must be good!) so i should be able to learn a lot there :biggrin:

Ooohhh.. That sounds fab! Can't go wrong there, can you? And at least you've got the horse experience down already anyways so now you're just developing your knowledge.
I cannot believe Scotland are increasing fees to up to £9,000 a year. -____- Every member of staff from a Scottish uni who I've spoken to has said that it was incredibly unlikely that this would happen...

So jealous of the people who are Scottish and won't have to pay - you have no clue how lucky you are!

And whats even more annoying is how the rest of europe don't have to pay to go to uni in scotland its just england
i think it might be pushing it a little if you don't have any more recent experience with horses. maybe just get an extra week to build on your existing experience or as a refresher?

I still go horse riding so I'm always getting experience with horses i'm just not helping out at a stables or doens't that count??
Reply 795
Original post by battycatlady
Are any of you going on the vetsim thing at Nottingham this July? There are still places left and I was thinking of booking, but i'm not sure how worthwile it will be. Has anyone had any experience with these things?

I'm going :biggrin: it looks really good, I'm excited!
Original post by beccac94
And whats even more annoying is how the rest of europe don't have to pay to go to uni in scotland its just england

OK, I admit I don't know the details of this but on the face of it this just cannot be legal!!! Under EU law all countries/nationalities have to be treated equally....maybe they can get away with it because only the UK is an EU country and not the individual England/Scotland parts but it still seems very dodgy to me

To put this into context, I go to vet school in Vienna, there is one vet school in the whole of Austria, the course is in German and the entry requirements are much lower than in Germany - when I started my course 50% of the students were from Germany! Now let's face it, the majority have never paid taxes in Austria, they are never likely to as they all disappear back to Germany on graduation. There are no tuition fees! (well 32 euros a year, but that doesn't really count) So basically I (have been working here for 10yrs before going to uni here) and all other Austrian tax payers are paying for Germans to go to uni - that pi**ed quite a lot of people off......so they brought in a new admisssions law: 75% of students had to have "A level equivalents" from an Austrian school, a maximum of 20% from other EU schools and 5% from outside EU. Now they originally wanted to say 75% Austrian, 20% other EU and 5% non EU students but were told that under EU law they are not allowed to discriminate against students of different nationalities....(so they got around it by saying where you should do A levels!)

But my point is, if Austrian universities are not allowed to discriminate against German students....then why are Scottish (and Welsh I think??) universities allowed to discriminate against English students??? Really doesn't seem fair to me and I think the NUS should think about bringing a case to the EU courts if the Austrian example is anything to go by....

Really hope it's not true.....going to vet school is hard enough without all these money worries as well
Good luck to you all :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Just doing Monday - Friday this week, got next week off and then Monday - Sunday for 2 weeks - can't wait :biggrin: my legs definitely need that week off though, been riding loads. :tongue:

ragwort is really poisonous to sheep and cows too, in fact, probably everything, hmm haha been there done that, got the t-shirt and the blisters!! haha bet u had fun!!
Reply 798
Original post by dizzeedollee
ah you guys are so lucky. my horses work experience, although it was brilliant, the people there didn't really know much about horses' diseases, etc and there weren't any vet visits so i couldn't ask much about the health side of things :K

Same! :/ I work at stables every Tuesday and Sunday and It's too busy for anyone to teach me about this kind of thing... I feel like I'm missing out big style!
i went to bristol open day today and really liked it there, what do others think. haha now im looking out the window watching rabbits hop around the garden, there was a hedgehog in it last night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending