The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8200
When would liverpool send out offers usually? Cos I hvn't been receiving e-mail from them for soooo long!
Ahhh got a letter today about an interview for a 3 month voluntary placement in chester zoo :biggrin:
Original post by beccac94
Ahhh got a letter today about an interview for a 3 month voluntary placement in chester zoo :biggrin:

Woo! I've been volunteering at Twycross zoo since July and it's like the best thing ever. You're gonna love it :smile:
Original post by Angry cucumber
I think Biology is going to be the end of me........ just done a mock; I have a feeling I may get less than the 95 UMS that I need for an A :rolleyes: :s-smilie:

I have no idea with the re-combinant DNA questions, none what so ever :angry:

If anyone can give me an answer to this question i shall be very grateful: "Scientists need to make sure the Restriction endonucleases enzymes completely digested the DNA. One way of checking this is to add up the sizes of fragments together. How could scientists use this information to show that the DNA has not been fully digested?" :confused: :s-smilie:

Which exam board r u with AQA?
Original post by Chloe0493
Which exam board r u with AQA?

Yes :smile:

Random mark schemes ftw :tongue:
Original post by Chloe0493
Woo! I've been volunteering at Twycross zoo since July and it's like the best thing ever. You're gonna love it :smile:

Oh cool I went to Twycross when I was little :P Did you get to choose which animals you work with?? Or was it just who needs you the most?
Reply 8206
Hi there,

Just wondering if anybody can help. I've been trying to find a pig farm for work experience but can't really find one.
I leave near Birmingham so not many farms about unless I'm not looking in the right places :/ Even the dairy farmer I went to said that he didn't know any.

I'm gonna try the NFU and even the butchers to see if they can help but I'm losing hope lol I've also tried a couple of agricultural colleges but all placement dates are taken.

The only reason why I'm looking to book this palcement so late into the year is because I didn't get a place this year so I'm trying to book more work experience for the summer.
Do you think it would be cheeky to ask a farmer if they provide accommodation if it's too far away?

If anybody knows of any contacts near the west midlands or sources of info please let me know....it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced
Original post by djvet
Do you think it would be cheeky to ask a farmer if they provide accommodation if it's too far away?

If you ask directly, yes.

Ask if they know of any B+Bs etc. in the area and mention that you're coming from quite a distance. Might get you either free lunch or a place to stay if they say 'don't bother with B+B, stay with us'.
Right guys, I'm taking out a ban on TSR, as it leads to too much procrastination :colonhash: and I have to get my grades!! :biggrin:

I'll be back in a couple of weeks! :biggrin:
Right guys, I'm taking out a ban on TSR, as it leads to too much procrastination :colonhash: and I have to get my grades!! :biggrin:

I'll be back in a couple of weeks! :biggrin:

I would ask you how you voluntarily take out bans, and how long they last. But it appears you wouldn't be able to answer...

If anyone else knows though...
Reply 8210
Original post by gernumblies
If you ask directly, yes.

Ask if they know of any B+Bs etc. in the area and mention that you're coming from quite a distance. Might get you either free lunch or a place to stay if they say 'don't bother with B+B, stay with us'.

I did think so lol it's only because in a very old post of a different thread i read some people suggested to others to ask the farmers if they could pick them up from bus stops etc...which I would never dream of doing but maybe that's how some get around :s-smilie: fair play to them but I would be too embarrassed to ask.

I will try that if do find that I have to travel far...I hope I get to find something closer tho cos money is very tight atm....thanks for the suggestion :smile:
Hey has anyone firmed Edinburgh and is going to apply for accomodation?..I have noooo idea where to apply! I dont even know where any of them are!..
Reply 8212
Original post by hannahwah
Hey has anyone firmed Edinburgh and is going to apply for accomodation?..I have noooo idea where to apply! I dont even know where any of them are!..

I'm staying in a private flat but I had been looking at sciennes and other self catered places near summerhall because that's near my friend's (and now my) flat and I wanted to be near her, and I know my way around that area. There's a map somewhere on Ed's website that shows you all of the accommodation available. If being near a bus stop is a priority for you, since we'll need one every day, I would go on the lothian buses website and get their bus routes map and compare the Easter Bush bus routes with the accommodation. That way you can see which ones are near a bus stop that will get you to EB fairly easily.
Original post by Marley13
I'm staying in a private flat but I had been looking at sciennes and other self catered places near summerhall because that's near my friend's (and now my) flat and I wanted to be near her, and I know my way around that area. There's a map somewhere on Ed's website that shows you all of the accommodation available. If being near a bus stop is a priority for you, since we'll need one every day, I would go on the lothian buses website and get their bus routes map and compare the Easter Bush bus routes with the accommodation. That way you can see which ones are near a bus stop that will get you to EB fairly easily.

Okay thanks so much- but is it a lothian bus we'd be getting every day? not one run by the vet school or anything?
Reply 8214
Okay thanks so much- but is it a lothian bus we'd be getting every day? not one run by the vet school or anything?

Sorry, I forgot about that new bus. I don't know anything about that (I don't think anyone does) but I would at least have a look into where they are in relation to your accommodation. What if you sleep in one day and miss the free bus and have to get a lothian one? I know it won't be a regular occurrence but I feel better knowing I have the summerhall bus stop 2 minutes away from my flat just incase I need it.
Summer hall is the old vet school campus right?..
Reply 8216
Summer hall is the old vet school campus right?..

Yeah, it's near the Meadows (a big park - awesome in the summer) and there's a bus stop directly outside that takes you to EB.
Reply 8217
Original post by djvet
Hi there,

Just wondering if anybody can help. I've been trying to find a pig farm for work experience but can't really find one.
I leave near Birmingham so not many farms about unless I'm not looking in the right places :/ Even the dairy farmer I went to said that he didn't know any.

I'm gonna try the NFU and even the butchers to see if they can help but I'm losing hope lol I've also tried a couple of agricultural colleges but all placement dates are taken.

The only reason why I'm looking to book this palcement so late into the year is because I didn't get a place this year so I'm trying to book more work experience for the summer.

If anybody knows of any contacts near the west midlands or sources of info please let me know....it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced

Hellooo. I'm currently at uni in Lincoln and did a week on Intensive pig farm just outside the city (they also have an intensive poultry farm).. Realise it's not near B-ham but you could always give the free accomodation thing a try or try save up a little money and stay nearby. Hope goes well. Good luck for next year
http://www.portersqualityfeeds.co.uk/ Feed company, poultry farm and pig farm. Just drop e-mail regarding work experience.
:smile:
Yes :smile:

Random mark schemes ftw :tongue:

Thought I'd heard of that question somewhere. I think I may have some notes to that question somewhere that I did last year, I will have a look and see if I can answer it for you?

Also don't worry if you feel you're scoring lower than you want at the minute on papers. I did on mocks and kept worrying about the synoptic essay but it wasn't that bad when I got into the exam. Probably obvious but make sure you know your stuff and look at links you could use between subjects.

My question last year was based on biological cycles. Which wasn't too bad. I think the other was on DNA Technology.

Hope that helps a bit :smile: Good luck with your exams
Original post by djvet
Hi there,

Would Desford be too far for you? I went to a farm there and I live in Warwickshire. The farm was fantastic and I learnt so much. Was sad to leave at the end of my placement as I learnt so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending