The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
JLW
OP
Ahh, i have family all over Alberta! Most around calgary, some at jasper and some around edmonton. So if i do go, i'll stay with them. I went for a month last summer to family just north of edmonton and i just love it. I want to move there some day :smile: I just wanted to see what the vet practices are like before i do anything drastic over here :smile:
Reply 81
JLW
Ahh, i have family all over Alberta! Most around calgary, some at jasper and some around edmonton. So if i do go, i'll stay with them. I went for a month last summer to family just north of edmonton and i just love it. I want to move there some day :smile: I just wanted to see what the vet practices are like before i do anything drastic over here :smile:

Ah wow, you are very lucky. I love Jasper, and we have family friends who used to live in Calgary but they'e just moved back :frown: I think I'm going to live out there one day, at least for a few years. I love it!
Reply 82
I can't believe you guys are getting told you can't do certain A-Levels because they're in certain 'blocks'! How unlucky is that? I always thought it would be like at mine where you put down all of the subjects you want to do and they fit the timetable around your choices.
Reply 83
JLW
OP
Beccy99
I can't believe you guys are getting told you can't do certain A-Levels because they're in certain 'blocks'! How unlucky is that? I always thought it would be like at mine where you put down all of the subjects you want to do and they fit the timetable around your choices.

Obiously you're the lucky one! :smile: My brother couldn't do 3 of the GCSE's he wanted to do and 2 of the A levels he wanted to do. Now, thats just unfair! I'm just dreading results day now :frown:
Reply 84
Beccy99

that's how it was at my old college! i didn't really understand when my new college told me i had to check my subjects fitted into their timetable matrix. weird.
Reply 85
We had blocks and had to choose a subject from each block, it was set out in a way that majority of people could do the subjects they wanted however there were a few unlucky people that couldn't do one of their choices.
Reply 86
Yeah I couldn't do Physics and Geography because they were timetabled against each other. But the box system was devised after we had all picked which subjects we wanted, and I just happened to lose out that year :frown:
Reply 87
JLW
OP
To anyone who has a clue what maths A level is like, is it hidiously difficult? Decisions decisions!! :smile:
Reply 88
can anyone answer my question about retakes? BAsically, I did my maths GCSE early last nov and then did the first maths module this summer. I know that I will have done terribly because I found it really hard and therefore it is very likely that I will have to retake. I read that if I retook, I would be limited down to just 3 unis ( I think it was RVC, Liverpool and Nottingham but I'm not sure!) or is that just if you retake outside of the two A level years ? thanks
Reply 89
JLW
To anyone who has a clue what maths A level is like, is it hidiously difficult? Decisions decisions!! :smile:

I found it very difficult and a very big jump from GCSE compared with my other subjects biology and physics, however that may have been because I did it a year early where as my other subjects I didn't. I got an A* at GCSE and a B at A level if that's any help.
JLW

Not hideously. I got an A at gcse, and an A last year at As.
Reply 91
JLW

AS-level isn't too bad but i found it quite difficult at A-level.

if you get the option of doing decision maths then do it - very easy marks!
bertiejess
can anyone answer my question about retakes? BAsically, I did my maths GCSE early last nov and then did the first maths module this summer. I know that I will have done terribly because I found it really hard and therefore it is very likely that I will have to retake. I read that if I retook, I would be limited down to just 3 unis ( I think it was RVC, Liverpool and Nottingham but I'm not sure!) or is that just if you retake outside of the two A level years ? thanks

As far as I know, they don't discriminate unless you resit outside of the two years. :smile:
Reply 93
i'm extremely envious of all the offers in the 2010 thread so thought i'd try and get the chat going again over here... hopefully that'll be us in a couple of years :smile:

i've finally managed to book my equine vet placement at a big hospital - it looks awesome! :biggrin: now i'm trying to find something interesting to do in october half-term.

is anyone doing any preparation for a-levels, particularly older people who haven't studied for a while?! :o:
Yes!
I know the best place. They're an EMS provider - ie - they are registered with English universities as placement providers, and I did an amazing work experience placement there.
It's a camelid farm based in the South of France, Ryan air and BMI fly there. ( into Lourdes and Pau airports) While I was there I completed two of their courses "Animal Behaviour" and "Clicker training for camelids"
Am now at uni, and have been back there for more work experience - so much hands on stuff, with goats, llamas, camels, alpacas, poultry - cannot recommend it highly enough.
Look under camelsinfrance.eu and contact them.
PS - my EMS coordinator was so impressed she's going down to meet them too in September,
Reply 95
At my school we were given summer induction work to sort of 'bridge the gap'. Its mainly recapping the GCSE work or getting you to think about the first subject in the course. For instance we were given a booklet of questions etc. for maths, recapping moles, mass, empirical formula and such for chemistry, asked to create a leaflet about cardio-vascular disease for biology and some 'back-ground' reading on certain topics in History.

None of it is particularly challenging, I think its just to ensure that we don't let our brains turn to mush over the summer :smile: So, if you weren't given that I presume its just to get the 'learning' brain back in gear a bit before you go back :smile:
Reply 96
my college has set pre-college activities to complete for some subjects but not any of the sciences. i sort of wish they had so i'd have something directed to do... been flicking aimlessly through textbooks but not really learning very much! might have to get a GCSE syllabus and go over some of the material on there - i think i need more than a recap!
Hmm, might have to dig out the science textbooks, then. I'm planning on going over things CONSTANTLY in college so I don't forget things like I did at GCSE; whether or not I will do so remains to be seen though. D:

Ick, seeing the A level students on the news and reading stuff here on TSR got the nervous butterflies going for Tuesday! And worrying for two years' time lol.
Reply 98
Good luck for all you year 11s for Tuesday :smile:
Reply 99
Seconded! Good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending