The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cetacea
I know how you feel about the BMAT! As has been said I've heard the RVC think your science and maths section (section 2) is the most important. Generally I don't struggle with these questions, but it's section 1 that's horrible! I really wish we didn't have to do it!

Focus on the aptitude bit, it's the one that they look for, not everyone has necessarily covered everything asked in the science and maths section and while a good score won't hurt a poor score in the aptitude will.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ouchthathurts
Focus on the aptitude bit, it's the one that they look for, not everyone has necessarily covered everything asked in the science and maths section and while a good score won't hurt a poor score in the aptitude will.

Was that section one? I can't remember. :redface:
Original post by beccac94
I'm putting them down cause it says put everything down on the ucas website i'm just not sure whether to put down the AS levels that we are carrying onto A2

Put them down, both as AS and A2. I know it should be obvious to them that you're doing AS in the ones you're continuing, but otherwise it looks like you're just doing one AS when they're doing the first filtering by academic requirements.
Original post by BlodynTatws
So landed! Just been offered a two week placement at my local vets at the start of October. I'm really excited about it. And the more work experience the better. Especially as it's recent, I'm hoping it'll be fresh in my mind if I actually get an interview, which of course I'm praying for!

I've just spent a whole day doing some BMAT work and I'm getting really disheartened. Does anyone have any sort of idea what marks the RVC are looking for?

From what I can tell, when they got the scores last year, they called for interview by going down a list which was generally determined by your BMAT scores, although I'm sure it's worked out by them scoring your UCAS form then adding your BMAT results to that, with the "highest-scoring applications" being called first until they get to their 300 interview limit, or whatever the number was last year.
Reply 1584
Original post by dizzeedollee
aaargh i just saw a countdown on the cambridge website, i can't believe after so many years of planning, waiting and work experience we've only got 4 weeks to go now D:

i handed in my ps today too. it's my third draft and the person reading it is my bio teacher, she's never done vet pses before but she's been really great at helping my organise and phrase things :biggrin: i'm also hoping i'll be able to hand it in to another bio teacher of mine who's dad is a vet and another bio teacher (xD) who i /think/ did a prevet course thing (she's american) but i got confused when she was explaining it to me, so i have a few more sets of eyes :smile:

@m.ben the beginning was awful for me too! i'm one of those people who can't start writing something unless they've written an intro so i spent aaaages trying to think of something to say. it took forever but once i had a bit of inspiration it all came flowing out, so maybe the same will happen with you :biggrin:

Hope so... i have to have mine in by friday to sch have rest of it basically done, just opening isnt as eye catching as i want it to be ! :s
just sent my ucas application, and so the long wait begins....
Reply 1586
Original post by ashley-anne
just sent my ucas application, and so the long wait begins....

o: What made you send it so early?
Reply 1587
I probably won't be sending my application off until early October as I have one more work experience placement to complete at the beginning of the month and would like to talk about it in my PS! My school wants my application complete by the 7th Oct at the very latest.

For those of you applying to Edinburgh, when will you fill out the work exp. summary form? We have about 6 weeks before the 1st November, when it has to be in, so there's still time yet.
Original post by Cetacea
I probably won't be sending my application off until early October as I have one more work experience placement to complete at the beginning of the month and would like to talk about it in my PS! My school wants my application complete by the 7th Oct at the very latest.

That's what I'm hoping to do too - I have two weeks of vet experience and a few days at a chinchilla rescue centre (random but so looking forward to it!) to go so I'm hoping to send mine off on the 7th :smile: Still a week before the deadline so hopefully it won't be too rushed!

Just sent off for my BMAT book, I know what I'm going to be staring at for the next month and a half once it arrives :\
Original post by Cetacea
The chincilla rescue centre sounds good - very different! :smile: Oh, that BMAT is the bane of my life! Getting through it though. Where are you applying?

I completely just fluffed up those messages - sorry! :P

Yeh I've always loved chinchillas so I'm really looking forward to it!
And same, I'm kind of mentally blocking it right now and hoping it'll go away!

bristol, nottingham, RVC and liverpool :smile: how about you?
Reply 1590
Original post by I_like_yumyums
I completely just fluffed up those messages - sorry! :P

Yeh I've always loved chinchillas so I'm really looking forward to it!
And same, I'm kind of mentally blocking it right now and hoping it'll go away!

bristol, nottingham, RVC and liverpool :smile: how about you?

Bristol, Nottingham, RVC and Edinburgh! (No particular order - they're all so good! :biggrin:) Have you been to any of the open days and do you have a favourite?
Original post by Cetacea
Bristol, Nottingham, RVC and Edinburgh! (No particular order - they're all so good! :biggrin:) Have you been to any of the open days and do you have a favourite?

Haha yeh - if I get in anywhere I'd be so happy!

I'm actually reapplying - I've always liked Nottingham but I've heard rumours they don't like people who reapply - but I'm willing to take the risk ;p
My best friend got into RVC this year (damn her :P ) and though I haven't been there she said it's amazing :smile:
Reply 1592
Haha yeh - if I get in anywhere I'd be so happy!

I'm actually reapplying - I've always liked Nottingham but I've heard rumours they don't like people who reapply - but I'm willing to take the risk ;p
My best friend got into RVC this year (damn her :P ) and though I haven't been there she said it's amazing :smile:

It looked amazing when I went there for the day - they have the largest small animal hospital in Europe at the Hertfordshire campus! It's also very modern. Did you get any interviews last year then?
im gonna start filling in edinburgh workex thing in as soon as i sent my ucas ap off
Original post by Cetacea
It looked amazing when I went there for the day - they have the largest small animal hospital in Europe at the Hertfordshire campus! It's also very modern. Did you get any interviews last year then?

Sounds like a good choice then :smile:
No I didn't - though I only applied to Glasgow, Nott & Bristol last year, I was clearly a little indecisive! This year I think I'm all set though! :biggrin:
And saying that - my friend applied to Nott, Bristol, Cambridge and RVC - the last two gave her interviews and only RVC gave her an offer! Which I still find a bit weird that the other two didn't at least interview but ah well - she got in! :smile:

What Alevels have you taken? Guessing you're doing that and not IB
Reply 1595
Sounds like a good choice then :smile:
No I didn't - though I only applied to Glasgow, Nott & Bristol last year, I was clearly a little indecisive! This year I think I'm all set though! :biggrin:
And saying that - my friend applied to Nott, Bristol, Cambridge and RVC - the last two gave her interviews and only RVC gave her an offer! Which I still find a bit weird that the other two didn't at least interview but ah well - she got in! :smile:

What Alevels have you taken? Guessing you're doing that and not IB

Doing Biology, Chemistry and Geography this year, did Spanish to AS last year (got an A). Really putting everything in to this year! :smile:
Reply 1596
Original post by Cetacea

For those of you applying to Edinburgh, when will you fill out the work exp. summary form? We have about 6 weeks before the 1st November, when it has to be in, so there's still time yet.

Filling it out as soon as UCAS has been sent. For those who haven't filled it out before, I'd recommend getting all your information ready beforehand as you can't save it and go back later, it has to be done all at once.
Reply 1597
Original post by Marley13
Filling it out as soon as UCAS has been sent. For those who haven't filled it out before, I'd recommend getting all your information ready beforehand as you can't save it and go back later, it has to be done all at once.

Yeah I plan on just setting aside some time, sitting down and typing it all out!
From what I can remember of what people were saying last year, don't press enter or next or whatever it is on the Edinburgh form until you've definitely finished, because it will send as is and you can't get it back.
Hi guys know this is a page late but section 2 of the BMAT (scientific knowledge and application) is the most important for RVC - the head of admissions (i think he was anyway!) told me at the open day when I talked to him about it last year just after the BMAT results came out. If you haven't covered everything in your GCSE syllabus at school for single sciences then you're kind of expected to take up the slack yourself. The problem solving section (section 1) is also very useful to have a good score in as it (obviously!) gives an indication of your problem solving abilities :smile:

I scored highly in section 1 and poorly in section 2 but still got an interview ... however I have spent the last 3 years on an English degree and this science weakness was brought up in my interview!

And specifically score wise the 'threshold' changes every year because each year the average varies. Academic achievements, PS and work experience are also taken into consideration for inteview - again from Mr RVC man - I asked him lots of questions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending