The Student Room Group

The Effect of Predicted Grades on Applications !

Hi,
I was just wondering if I could receive some advice on what effect predicted AS levels have over actual GCSE. Also with the new A* grade being introduced, is it now possible to be predicted this new grade, if so are you more likely to receive an offer based on this ?

Your help would be much appreciated
AndyLarge

*I'm new and don't know how to add a "spoiler" so here are my GCSE grades:

3A*,6A,2B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why would you need to predict your AS gradeS?
As far as I know you only apply to university ONCE you have your AS grades.
I also don't think you can get an A* in AS level.
Reply 2
AndyLarge
Hi,
I was just wondering if I could receive some advice on what effect predicted AS levels have over actual GCSE. Also with the new A* grade being introduced, is it now possible to be predicted this new grade, if so are you more likely to receive an offer based on this ?

Your help would be much appreciated
AndyLarge

*I'm new and don't know how to add a "spoiler" so here are my GCSE grades:

3A*,6A,2B

AS predictions don't mean diddly squat tbh. Unis never see them as you apply with ACTUAL AS grades and A2 predictions are based on those grades. Just work to get the best grades possible :biggrin:
Reply 3
A2 predictions are what matters.
Reply 4
A2 predictions matter alot. Especially if you've got a required subject or something. Universities generally want your predictions to meet their minimum criterion or better but AS predictions don't mean anything...
Reply 5
You'll apply once you have your AS grades.

A2 predictions are important, and yes it's possible to be predicted an A* (for A2).
Reply 6
from what I recall A2 predictions are the most important part of your academic portfolio.
I think it depends where you apply. Even though most medical school aren't using A* grades in their offers, they can't unsee what they've seen. Whether they would be allowed to use it as a deciding factor between two otherwise equal candidates, I don't know.
BeatFreak
A2 predictions matter alot. Especially if you've got a required subject or something. Universities generally want your predictions to meet their minimum criterion or better but AS predictions don't mean anything...

millions DEAD or displaced in pakistan floods? :lolwut:
Reply 9
Isometrix
from what I recall A2 predictions are the most important part of your academic portfolio.

:eek: Are you actually serious?
Damnnn it's a good thing I ordered my teachers to predict me A*s today then. :rofl:
Carpet21
Damnnn it's a good thing I ordered my teachers to predict me A*s today then. :rofl:

and here is a perfect example of what is fundamentally wrong with the predictions system.
Reply 11
Isometrix
and here is a perfect example of what is fundamentally wrong with the predictions system.

That my teachers are pushovers? Yes, I know.
Carpet21
That my teachers are pushovers? Yes, I know.

no, the fact that you've undermined a fragile system through manipulation and deceit, as opposed to the honest minority who probably won't get that deserved place because of people like you.

tomorrow's doctors ladies and gentlemen :congrats:
Reply 13
Isometrix
no, the fact that you've undermined a fragile system through manipulation and deceit, as opposed to the honest minority who probably won't get that deserved place because of people like you.

tomorrow's doctors ladies and gentlemen :congrats:

Well not really. I'm the only one in my college that has a realistic chance of getting all A*s and they can already see that from everything else. The only reason they wouldn't have predicted me A*s would've been because it's so new...I just let them know how important it was for university.

So suck on that.
Carpet21
Well not really. I'm the only one in my college that has a realistic chance of getting all A*s and they can already see that from everything else. The only reason they wouldn't have predicted me A*s would've been because it's so new...I just let them know how important it was for university.

So suck on that.

but it's not important for university :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Isometrix
but it's not important for university :s-smilie:

So you were kidding when you said it was before? :s-smilie:
Carpet21
So you were kidding when you said it was before? :s-smilie:

no, I meant the A* is hardly important for medschool entry but you've gone and told your teachers that it is.
Reply 17
Isometrix
no, I meant the A* is hardly important for medschool entry but you've gone and told your teachers that it is.

Well I don't think it can hurt.

Anyway I'm going to stop spamming this thread.
Carpet21

Are you even capable of getting an A* though?
You apply once you have already received your AS exam results and the predictions you get are your A2 predicted grades - which will be based on your AS achievements. And you can be predicted an A* for A2 (you can't get one at AS.)

Latest

Trending

Trending