The Student Room Group

National Insurance...-_-! please help

i have just received a letter from Natwest, which enclosed an application form and interview details...

in the application form, it asks about my national insurance number which i dont have, coz this is my first time to apply for a job in England.

i phoned social security today, and the woman said i better apply it as soon as i start working. is that right??? :confused:

im worried, coz in that application form, it says any incomplete information may delay my application. im worried if they think im troublesome....lol
and the interview is within 2 weeks................. :eek:

what should i do now?
has anybody experienced that before?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

is that possible to start working and apply for NI at the same time??
Reply 1
They don't need your NI number straight away. They'll just put you onto an emergency one, and then transfer the info to your real one when you get it.

If you're really concerned, then phone Natwest and explain to them what the woman said.
Your NI number is on a card, striped blue, red and white that arrives in the post, a few weeks before your sixteenth birthday. It means your pay is docked before it's given to you, to pay for national insurance - NHS, I think and so forth. This is mandatory to all people in a job over sixteen. It's non-negotiable.

It also helps them identify you for taxes, and tax codes, otherwise you'll be put on emergency tax (from experience, lotsatax) until they have you sorted out. You'll recover the tax at the end of the tax year, next April, I believe...
Reply 3
rayman417
i have just received a letter from Natwest, which enclosed an application form and interview details...

in the application form, it asks about my national insurance number which i dont have, coz this is my first time to apply for a job in England.

i phoned social security today, and the woman said i better apply it as soon as i start working. is that right??? :confused:

im worried, coz in that application form, it says any incomplete information may delay my application. im worried if they think im troublesome....lol
and the interview is within 2 weeks................. :eek:

what should i do now?
has anybody experienced that before?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

is that possible to start working and apply for NI at the same time??

You don't need your NI number right away. You will go on a temporary number until your proper one is created. All you will need to show Nat West is proof that you are entitled to work in the UK, for example EU passport or work visa, but there may be others.

Marcus

Latest

Trending

Trending