The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aprilterri
I wont even argue with you. Its kind of obvious what I meant. If people lack the intellegence to understand that I used the caribbean as an example because it is a place where the majority of people are black and infer that I am talking about black people only and not suggesting that everyone in the caribbean are black, then I can't help you.
You are bascially arguing the same point, that black people come in all different shades, with different features etc.. so stop being petty.

There is a difference between how people classify themselves, the labels that they use and actual facts.

For example, the word "black" is not used in the US in the same way as in Brazil, in South Africa, the Caribbean or even in the UK. This was a point I was making: a lot of people are too influenced by labels conveyed through American popular media which does not reflect the reality of British culture and population. We have very little in common with the US, in the way that our population has formed so should not feel the need to label everyone with a colour. Being black in the US is usually associated with being African American, so mostly of predominately African descent but also a strong European ethnic origin as well.

From my experience in Guadeloupe, a lot of people do not classify themselves as "black" and embrace the concept of being of mixed race and being "métissés" when indeed they are. The whole local culture is based on the mixture of European and African cultures. Just as in Spanish and Portuguese-speaking parts of the Americas including the Caribbean, people embrace the concept of being mulatos and mestizos.

Again, there is a general idea trying to be pushed throughout the thread that there is some general rule as to how the word "black" is used, usually based on people's experiences of having grown up in the UK exclusively. As most people have grown up in the UK, such ideas are well accepted.

People of mixed ancestry such as a lot of people of the Caribbean are free to label themselves as black if that's an identity they want to give themselves but that's not my experience of the Caribbean. A lot of people are happy accepting their mixed ancestry and don't feel the need to use the words "black" or "white" all day long. I also question your claim that the majority of people of the Caribbean are "black" as in of African origin. Yes, the majority of the population will be mostly of African origin but that doesn't equate to people necessarily having to describe themselves as black. Huge parts of the populations of the Caribbean are of mixed descent: The Spanish-speaking Caribbean such as Puerto Rico, Cuba, the Dominican Republic have a population that is very mixed to the point that a lot of people are labelled as "latinos". As mentioned before, Martinique and Guadeloupe has mostly populations of mixed or European descent rather than of African origin.

I think this has a lot to do with the formation in the UK of an "Afro-Caribbean" community: people of mixed descent were pushed to identify themselves as mostly "African". During my times in the US, mostly in New England which has high levels of recent immigration from the Caribbean especially Haiti, I never came across the concept of "Afro-Caribbean". There are people in the UK with parents or grandparents from the Caribbean who choose to call themselves black, yet if they had grown up in the Caribbean they probably would not have identified themselves in that way.

In any case, most of this thread has been one-dimensional in its grasp of racial concepts and has pretty much only accepted the British notions.
Original post by Sucka Free

Nicole Richie!

You do realise that that's not her biological father? Are you just sending a random photo of someone who has various origins?

If we're talking about children of musicians, how about Rashida Jones, daughter of Quincy Jones? Because her Dad was a relatively pale African-American and her mother is white, I think a lot of people label her as white because her skin is fairly pale yet she is very much of mixed descent. In a sense, I think it's fair to comment on her skin colour as being pale but then why should there be this "threshold" that once it's passed on one side or the other, it automatically gives you a label which really only has cultural connotations rather than reflects your actual ethnic origin: i.e. due to some obscure threshold that I'm probably not aware of, people make statements like "Rihanna is black stupid, don't you realise?". What I find interesting is how people's convinctions about racial concepts are so deeply embedded in their mind and how there is so little doubt.

I remember speaking to people about Obama (he has relatives in the UK) and although I realise that Obama is quite in touch with his African ancestry, I spoke to a lot of people who would make statements like "Obama is black" as if it was some undeniable truth and that to question that would be stupidity, without realising that it's more our cultural references that decide on that.

http://hotcelebrity.name/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/rashida_jones.jpg
http://hotcelebrity.name/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/rashida-jones-blades-of-glory-los-angeles-premiere-0ge6zf.jpg
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Miu-Miu
I had this argument before re: Beyonce :facepalm2:

It doesnt make her FULL black either!

Below is a pic of her family. Her dad is half white. You're telling me thats a full black man? Her facial features are average black features and her colouring (greeny eyes/really fair skin) is from her Irish side. Nothing wrong with being 100%, 50%, 5% black but it looks so insincere when you choose Rihanna/9 out of 10 mix race girls and say that represents black girls when infact it doesnt. We know light skin black girls exist but they are rare. So what? That doesnt make every mix race girl black just because there are similar looking "true" black girls. Why are you heaping praise on light skin any way? You should be proud of what you are. :rolleyes:

agree with all posts youve written so far. People should stop being so defensive towards, you're not demeaning them, youre just telling the truth! :s-smilie:

She's black. Would you call Naomi Campbell black? Yes. Same level of mixture. 'Black' as each other.
No point being pedantic otherwise why not question everyone who has a little mixture in them (not just the ones who are 'obvious').
Original post by darkxangel
This isn't true, I just established that Rihanna looks fully black, same with Beyonce as I know fully balck people who have the same features and even lighter skin. I mean the average white person doesn't look anything like Enrique or Cheryl Cole, it's the same with black people.
My point IS that when someone calls a black girl pretty people are like she has white features or lighter skin so she doesn't count, where as if some-one said a white girl was pretty no-one would say she has black/asian/other features even if she did. I'm just trying to say that certain features don't exclusively belong to one racial group.

Exactly. Tbh it seems his main argument seems to be that 'real' black women don't look attractive and the only ones he considers attractive are the ones he thinks look 'more european'. And you're only truly black if you have a wide flat nose and inset eyes.
Reply 184
Original post by angger
Her mother, a native of Guyana, is Afro-Guyanese, and her father is of Barbadian and Irish descent.

wikipedia.

...yes, she is still black...
Reply 185
Original post by SamTheMan
There is a difference between how people classify themselves, the labels that they use and actual facts.

For example, the word "black" is not used in the US in the same way as in Brazil, in South Africa, the Caribbean or even in the UK. This was a point I was making: a lot of people are too influenced by labels conveyed through American popular media which does not reflect the reality of British culture and population. We have very little in common with the US, in the way that our population has formed so should not feel the need to label everyone with a colour. Being black in the US is usually associated with being African American, so mostly of predominately African descent but also a strong European ethnic origin as well.

From my experience in Guadeloupe, a lot of people do not classify themselves as "black" and embrace the concept of being of mixed race and being "métissés" when indeed they are. The whole local culture is based on the mixture of European and African cultures. Just as in Spanish and Portuguese-speaking parts of the Americas including the Caribbean, people embrace the concept of being mulatos and mestizos.

Again, there is a general idea trying to be pushed throughout the thread that there is some general rule as to how the word "black" is used, usually based on people's experiences of having grown up in the UK exclusively. As most people have grown up in the UK, such ideas are well accepted.

People of mixed ancestry such as a lot of people of the Caribbean are free to label themselves as black if that's an identity they want to give themselves but that's not my experience of the Caribbean. A lot of people are happy accepting their mixed ancestry and don't feel the need to use the words "black" or "white" all day long. I also question your claim that the majority of people of the Caribbean are "black" as in of African origin. Yes, the majority of the population will be mostly of African origin but that doesn't equate to people necessarily having to describe themselves as black. Huge parts of the populations of the Caribbean are of mixed descent: The Spanish-speaking Caribbean such as Puerto Rico, Cuba, the Dominican Republic have a population that is very mixed to the point that a lot of people are labelled as "latinos". As mentioned before, Martinique and Guadeloupe has mostly populations of mixed or European descent rather than of African origin.

I think this has a lot to do with the formation in the UK of an "Afro-Caribbean" community: people of mixed descent were pushed to identify themselves as mostly "African". During my times in the US, mostly in New England which has high levels of recent immigration from the Caribbean especially Haiti, I never came across the concept of "Afro-Caribbean". There are people in the UK with parents or grandparents from the Caribbean who choose to call themselves black, yet if they had grown up in the Caribbean they probably would not have identified themselves in that way.

In any case, most of this thread has been one-dimensional in its grasp of racial concepts and has pretty much only accepted the British notions.

Mr Extraneous returns. Btw, cultural or not (in terms of the use of the word 'black'), you're missing the point of the whole thread. People have agreed to focus on a certain area as an example.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 186
This thread is stupid!!

Most times when someone is 'light-skinned' they have ancestors who are white, asian, or whatever. Like me I have German ancestors and I'm Light.

But some people who are 100% black can come out light skinned...I've seen it, and know of people like that.
Reply 187
Original post by TemB
This thread is stupid!!

Most times when someone is 'light-skinned' they have ancestors who are white, asian, or whatever. Like me I have German ancestors and I'm Light.

But some people who are 100% black can come out light skinned...I've seen it, and know of people like that.

I haven't stated anything that is contrary to your post.
Original post by SuperGuy
I haven't stated anything that is contrary to your post.

Are you black?!
Why does this thread even exist.
Who gives a DAMN

I'm the opposite. I'm mixed race but look WHITE by fathers genes completely overtook my mothers and people have a hard time believing I have black in me but I DOOO

EUGH why are peole SOOO obsessed with black people and blackness?!

Like are they aliens or UFOs or something that people just LOVEEEEE to go on and on and on about blacks! EKKKKK!
Reply 189
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
Are you black?!

Yo listen up here's a story
About a little guy that lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees
Is just blue like him inside and outside
Blue is his house with a blue little window
And a blue corvette
And everything is blue for him and hisself
And everybody around
Cos he ain't got nobody to listen to

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die...

I have a blue house with a blue window.
Blue is the colour of all that I wear.
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too.
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue.
Blue are the people here that walk around,
Blue like my corvette, it's standing outside.
Blue are the words I say and what I think.
Blue are the feelings that live inside me.

I have a blue house with a blue window.
Blue is the colour of all that I wear.
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too.
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue.
Blue are the people here that walk around,
Blue like my corvette, it's standing outside.
Blue are the words I say and what I think.
Blue are the feelings that live inside me.

Inside and outside blue his house
With the blue little window and a blue corvette
And everything is blue for him and hisself
And everybody around cause he aint got
Nobody to listen to

I'm blue (da ba dee da ba die)

Why does this thread even exist. The explanation is pretty amazing actually. After its invention by a man named Tim, the World Wide Web was launched in 1991, and since then, advances in computer science and telecommunications have birthed what you see here.
Who gives a DAMN Apparently, quite a few people, including people who imply that they don't give damn.

I'm the opposite. I'm mixed race but look WHITE by fathers genes completely overtook my mothers and people have a hard time believing I have black in me but I DOOO

Like are they aliens or UFOs or something that people just LOVEEEEE to go on and on and on about blacks! EKKKKK!

Toodleloo :wink:
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
Are you black?!
Why does this thread even exist.
Who gives a DAMN

Dno, you look obviously mixed to me.
Original post by Mismatched_dollie_pepper
India and Brazil-the 2 countries i want to visit most in the world! no joke!
yes, i think part of my fascination with brazil is the diversity of the population and the really rich culture etc .

I too should be revising! F.M.L lol :wink:

My countries to visit list consists of:Japan/China/Korea, Brazil, Madagascar, Egypt, India, Hawaii, Italy....:h: I can't wait until I can travel....:moon:

What exams are you taking?
Reply 192

I'm not disputing that people from the caribbean tend to have mixed
ancestry. I have even pointed this out on one of my other posts (can't remember if it is in this thread or the other one). I only have to look at my own ancestry to see this is true. From my experience if you were to call most of the people in the caribbean black they would not dispute it even though they do sometimes use other words to describe themselves. They wouldn't really be considering themselves as mixed race. You haven't really told me anything new. My point was a quick simple one and I still see no need to go into a big discussion.
Any way I do not dispute what you are saying but your need to direct it at me. Like I said this is my own ethnic background that we are discussing and my parents made an effort to educate me in this when I was younger. Yep its true that we tend to pigeon hole people but my point is that you cannot say that someone is not black because they are light skinned etc... People were implying (in the other thread) that you aren't really black if you don't look like a west african but that is rubbish. Most people from the caribbean are of mixed ethnicity and so will have features that one might consider to be from other ethnicities (although thats a whole new can of worms) yet most would be considered black. You therefore cannot expect everyone to look african. If one child from the same family comes out looking like whoopi and another looking like rhianna does that make one less black? Going into what you were saying is a whole other thing.
Original post by SuperGuy
I think it's pretty clear that she is mixed raced. I don't know why people are in denial about this (actually, I have a clue as to why :rolleyes:).

It doesn't matter whether she considers herself to be black or not. It's largely not a matter of opinion (as Steve would say :yep: ).

Have you seen Rihanna's Twitter lately? Someone said something along the lines of 'why is Rihanna's hair so nappy' and she responded 'cuz i'm black, b****'. She clearly defines herself as black.

A lot of black people have recent or long-distance white or non-black ancestry and regard themselves as black. In fact most don't know how black they really are eg because of slavery. Do you realistically expect every black person with some white ancestry to suddenly dismiss their black lineage because of a few white ancestors (or relatives)?

Tbh white people came up with these laws (yes they were laws) that divided black and white people. You can't now turn around and expect black people with mixed ancestry to all of a sudden see themselves as being anything but black. It's like telling a Polish person to stop being Polish because one random aunt, uncle or even great grandad was french! :confused:

Also skin complexion really varies amongst black people and isn't an indicator of how black someone is. E.g Snoop Dog did a DNA test and turns out he's like 60% black or something like that but a fairer skinned person could be much 'blacker' than him.
Reply 194
rihanna isn't mixed wtf.
Reply 195
well guys remember kim k who isn't black yet has a big bumper.
You do realise that that's not her biological father? Are you just sending a random photo of someone who has various origins?

If we're talking about children of musicians, how about Rashida Jones, daughter of Quincy Jones? Because her Dad was a relatively pale African-American and her mother is white, I think a lot of people label her as white because her skin is fairly pale yet she is very much of mixed descent. In a sense, I think it's fair to comment on her skin colour as being pale but then why should there be this "threshold" that once it's passed on one side or the other, it automatically gives you a label which really only has cultural connotations rather than reflects your actual ethnic origin: i.e. due to some obscure threshold that I'm probably not aware of, people make statements like "Rihanna is black stupid, don't you realise?". What I find interesting is how people's convinctions about racial concepts are so deeply embedded in their mind and how there is so little doubt.

I remember speaking to people about Obama (he has relatives in the UK) and although I realise that Obama is quite in touch with his African ancestry, I spoke to a lot of people who would make statements like "Obama is black" as if it was some undeniable truth and that to question that would be stupidity, without realising that it's more our cultural references that decide on that.

http://hotcelebrity.name/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/rashida_jones.jpg
http://hotcelebrity.name/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/rashida-jones-blades-of-glory-los-angeles-premiere-0ge6zf.jpg

I agree. Also Pete Wenz (I think that's his name) his mum's black but you'd never know by looking at him. Ultimately he's treated as white by society and hollywood and doesn't speak much about his ethnic background.
Reply 197
ok i stand corrected never seen that photo of rihanna before her dad certainly aint all blck
Original post by darkxangel
My countries to visit list consists of:Japan/China/Korea, Brazil, Madagascar, Egypt, India, Hawaii, Italy....:h: I can't wait until I can travel....:moon:

What exams are you taking?

I'd love to visit those places too! :P

Alevels atm-\FOCK/ need to get into uni! har har

how about you : ) x
i am light skin like a little lighter than chris brown, long curly natural hair, small nose etc. My mum is medium black skin tone like melanie B. East africans have many light skin people. My aunty is very light skin like beyonce. Her husband is very dark, their children are medium, some have wavey hair, some have curly, all have small noses, medium lips. We are 100% pure east african. east africans look different from any other black. They come in all colours but they dont usually have west african features like really kinky hair, plumped big lips, similar shape noses, their noses tend to be longer. East africans have higher foreheads too.there are people from the west indies that are light too, i have friends that are guyanese etc. They DO EXIST mate.

Latest

Trending

Trending