The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Poica
a) Don't be ridiculous, I'm a fresher. And just because you've 'spoken to people doing the course' does not mean you know a damn thing about how hard/easy it is. Take the degree and maybe you can say that; until then, don't make generalisations.

Ok when I say I've spoken to people doing the course I mean that two of my housemates are in their second year of a history degree at York so I know exactly how much work is involved and how it compares to other degrees. Moreover unless you are claiming history is somehow much harder than other comparable degrees then I can also use the evidence of my own degree to form an opinion and the opinion that a 2:1 is fairly easy to achieve still stands and will be backed up by the vast majority o students.

b) For jobs that require a degree, someone with a 2:2 will be preferrable to someone without one. They will still be able to find a high paying job. If you believe otherwise, please provide some evidence to that effect, because I think you are talking utter crap.

Ok well a Government study published in October of this year shows that graduates over the course of their lifetime earn on average around £400,000 more than non graduates. However, this difference falls to only £50,000 if you achieved a 2:2 or less in your degree, that seems like evidence to me if you want to delude yourself then fine but what I'm saying is far from utter crap as you put it.
SlyPie
hahah Teachers prior to university belong in one category. Professors at university on the other hand are really quite bright. So don't worry...not all teachers are morons.

I know.
I am at Oxford. Most of my lecturers and all my tutors are excellent.
The few who arent excellent are merely poor communicators.
Don't feed keyboard warriors/trolls....
Most of the Oxbridge failures end up in the top couple of private schools. God help the rest of the country.
Reply 64
kb500
Ok well a Government study published in October of this year shows that graduates over the course of their lifetime earn on average around £400,000 more than non graduates. However, this difference falls to only £50,000 if you achieved a 2:2 or less in your degree, that seems like evidence to me if you want to delude yourself then fine but what I'm saying is far from utter crap as you put it.

Well this is slightly irrelevant, but:
Doesn't it really depend upon your degree as well? Facing the facts, many liberal arts degrees are unemployable and I doubt they'd make more than non-graduates over a lifetime.
Reply 65
kb500

Yawn, as I said, having a 2:2 will mean you still get higher paying graduate jobs than if you had no degree at all, though perhaps not the highest paying jobs. Hence I doubt a calling of Unemployment or working at Tesco beckons for all those with a 2:2. You did, in fact, just back up what I said.
Reply 66
fundamentally
I know.
I am at Oxford. Most of my lecturers and all my tutors are excellent.
The few who arent excellent are merely poor communicators.

Ah, tis true.

One of my professors graduated from Harvard and MIT and he sounds like Kermit (Sp?) the Frog. He's an extremely intelligent guy but damn, bedtime babies.
SlyPie
Well this is slightly irrelevant, but:
Doesn't it really depend upon your degree as well? Facing the facts, many liberal arts degrees are unemployable and I doubt they'd make more than non-graduates over a lifetime.

It shouldn't matter too much. Unless you do a truly crap degree like.. I dunno.. cake decorating.
lynseyweth
What is your profession then, if you are so clever?

No profession yet.
I intend to go into investment banking after graduation.

I am currently merely a rather annoying student.
However, according to my tutors at Oxford, I am on track to get a First class.
Reply 69
fundamentally
No profession yet.
I intend to go into investment banking after graduation.

I am currently merely a rather annoying student.
However, according to my tutors at Oxford, I am on track to get a First class.

So still a kid whining about how he didn't like his teachers when he was in school? Figures.
Reply 70
The Ace is Back
It shouldn't matter too much. Unless you do a truly crap degree like.. I dunno.. cake decorating.

haha...Well, liberal arts majors NEED to go to graduate school. It does pay off, but graduate school seems necessary in order to have a big salary difference. Unfortunately that's the same with biology/chem majors in America if they don't get into medical school. Basically the only undergraduate majors in America that allow for a decent salary without graduate work are: Engineering, business, accounting. This is why I have to go to law school..bastards.
Reply 71
Poica
Yawn, as I said, having a 2:2 will mean you still get higher paying graduate jobs than if you had no degree at all, though perhaps not the highest paying jobs. Hence I doubt a calling of Unemployment or working at Tesco beckons for all those with a 2:2. You did, in fact, just back up what I said.

You know what i'm beginning to see why you think your limit is a 2:2 from your inability to follow an argument. I'm sure you'll be very happy having avoided Tescos and unemployment to work in another dead end job, good luck with your future career.
Reply 72
SlyPie
haha...Well, liberal arts majors NEED to go to graduate school. It does pay off, but graduate school seems necessary in order to have a big salary difference. Unfortunately that's the same with biology/chem majors in America if they don't get into medical school. Basically the only undergraduate majors in America that allow for a decent salary without graduate work are: Engineering, business, accounting. This is why I have to go to law school..bastards.

So basically, good advice is: Don't get a job in the U.S.
Otherwise you're fine.

--------------

kb500
You know what i'm beginning to see why you think your limit is a 2:2 rom your inability to follow an argument. I'm sure you'll be very happy having avoided Tescos and unemployment to work in another dead end job, good luck with your future career.

Are you suggesting I'm a 2:2 student? Ha ha, nicely unfounded there.
I followed your argument, however, with those stats you made the point that people with 2:2 degrees still make £50,000 more in life than people without degrees. So they're still higher earners. Silly boy.
Reply 73
Poica
Otherwise you're fine.

Well with an undergraduate degree you can get a job; just be prepared to live like a homeless bum if you want to live in an urban area. So if you are okay with eating out of the bin behind McDonald's for a couple of years before a salary raise...it's all good. mmm crusted garbage.
Reply 74
Poica
So still a kid whining about how he didn't like his teachers when he was in school? Figures.

No if he's already at university he's probably as old as you are if not older considering you are a fresher...
kb500
You know what i'm beginning to see why you think your limit is a 2:2 from your inability to follow an argument. I'm sure you'll be very happy having avoided Tescos and unemployment to work in another dead end job, good luck with your future career.

Well said old boy
Reply 76
kb500
No if he's already at university he's probably as old as you are if not older considering you are a fresher...

I'm not saying he's younger than me. It's just I'm a kid who respected my teachers.
He speaks from no great vantage of wisdom and age.
Reply 77
Fundamentally is a female.
Poica
Otherwise you're fine.

How does that follow?

Poica
Are you suggesting I'm a 2:2 student? Ha ha, nicely unfounded there.
I followed your argument, however, with those stats you made the point that people with 2:2 degrees still make £50,000 more in life than people without degrees. So they're still higher earners. Silly boy.

I think you missed his point entirely.

--------------

SlyPie
Fundamentally is a female.

Good point.
Reply 79
My crappy state school's English teacher had a degree from Cambridge.

Its unfair to generalise. In fact most of my teachers were academically decent. My history teachers were from St Andrews and King's College respecitively.

Latest

Trending

Trending