The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
The Ace is Back
How does that follow?

She's from the U.S. and is such is talking from the point of view of people from that country, rather than from people in the U.K.

The Ace is Back
I think you missed his point entirely.

Would you care to explain his point, sir?

--------------

SlyPie
Fundamentally is a female.

Fundamentally, I sincerely apologise for any gender confusion that took place.
Reply 81
Poica
So basically, good advice is: Don't get a job in the U.S.
Otherwise you're fine.

--------------

Are you suggesting I'm a 2:2 student? Ha ha, nicely unfounded there.
I followed your argument, however, with those stats you made the point that people with 2:2 degrees still make £50,000 more in life than people without degrees. So they're still higher earners. Silly boy.

Well if you consider £50,000 over 40+ years of work to be a good return on going to university fair play to you. Moreover let's not forget this is an on average figure, therefore I would think that people who graduate with 2:2's and earn higher salaries are those who actually have a technical skill post graduation which wouldn't have been available to them outside of university and is therefore actually a skill in demand. Something like history ( i have nothing against it merelt saying you need a 2:1 or higher for it to worth something) won't generate a higher paying job. People usually try and justify lower grades when they achieve them...hence my inference about you getting a 2:2.
Reply 82
hate_xams
There is a Biology teacher in my school who got a D in his A level Biology, and is now teaching it to A level classes, well i say teaching, he really hasn't got a clue.

We have a terrible biology teacher (A level). She is constantly teaching us false rubbish to put in our notes that is completely untrue (like "glycogen is an inorganic compound"). I'm serious!

Most of us just take other work to her class and use it like a homework session, and completely ignore her, pretending that we are taking her notes down.
Poica
She's from the U.S. and is such is talking from the point of view of people from that country, rather than from people in the U.K.

I still don't understand - what are you saying? British employers have much lower standards in employing graduates?

Poica
Would you care to explain his point, sir?

Very well. I believe his point was that graduates with 2:2 earn on average 350,000 less than graduates with a First - hence, they are not brilliant degrees.
Reply 84
SlyPie
Fundamentally is a female.

Lol a freudian there I apologise to Samantha :wink:

Very well. I believe his point was that graduates with 2:2 earn on average 350,000 less than graduates with a First - hence, they are not brilliant degrees.

First and 2:1 combined in fact and you are right of course they are no brilliant degrees, far from it.
Reply 85
kb500
Well if you consider £50,000 over 40+ years of work to be a good return on going to university fair play to you. Moreover let's not forget this is an on average figure, therefore I would think that people who graduate with 2:2's and earn higher salaries are those who actually have a technical skill post graduation which wouldn't have been available to them outside of university and is therefore actually a skill in demand. Something like history ( i have nothing against it merelt saying you need a 2:1 or higher for it to worth something) won't generate a higher paying job. People usually try and justify lower grades when they achieve them...hence my inference about you getting a 2:2.

I justify things when I feel they need justifying to generalisations. I'm a 2:1/1st student.
There is still a clear advantage to having a degree, in that earnings are higher.
And I would say people don't just go to University for the degree, they also go for the experience. Therefore, if they gain something out of University, as well as slightly more money when they get a graduate job, then it's worth University.
Reply 86
And I would say people don't just go to University for the degree, they also go for the experience. Therefore, if they gain something out of University, as well as slightly more money when they get a graduate job, then it's worth University.

Oh really so if I claim I get something out of the experience of a fully funded round the world all expenses paid trip can I get the taxpayer to pay for it as well. Exactly the type of argument which gives students a bad name.

The generalisation is that 2:2's are bad degrees and that is far from unfounded.
Reply 87
kb500
I'm sorry to break it to you but it's good enough.

And after a while it's irrelevant anyway. I don't remember the last time an employer asked me what class of degree I have. In fact my CV doesn't even mention it.

To get into a good graduate level job then you need a 2:1, anything less on an application will be thrown in the bin and rightly so given the competition for jobs. With such a large proportion of students getting 1st/2:1's a 2:2 is almost looked upon as a badge of shame. It all depends on your ambition I suppose although I see no real point in going to univeristy if you are not going to obtain a worthwhile degree.

I know several people in grad jobs with 2.2s in fact I know someone with a 3rd who has a training contract.
Reply 88
viviki
To get into a good graduate level job then you need a 2:1, anything less on an application will be thrown in the bin and rightly so given the competition for jobs. With such a large proportion of students getting 1st/2:1's a 2:2 is almost looked upon as a badge of shame. It all depends on your ambition I suppose although I see no real point in going to univeristy if you are not going to obtain a worthwhile degree.

I know several people in grad jobs with 2.2s in fact I know someone with a 3rd who has a training contract.

I'm sure you do and there may well be exceptions but without wishing to be rude I'm talking about grad jobs where the minimum standard is 2:1 and without that unless they really like you there is no chance of breaking into an industry.
Reply 89
kb500

I'm sure you do and there may well be exceptions but without wishing to be rude I'm talking about grad jobs where the minimum standard is 2:1 and without that unless they really like you there is no chance of breaking into an industry.

Not all graduate jobs ask for 2.1s far from it. Also there are a heck of a lot of them who will accept 2.2s from people with exceptional circumstances. A 2.2 isn't an exceptional degree its average however its absolutely nothing for anyone to be ashamed of and is not regarded as shameful by most employers.
Reply 90
Hasn't the amount of money graduates earn compared to non-graduates gone down quite significantly since the huge rise in numbers of students going to uni? Last I read it was now more like 150K, certainly nowhere near 400K...
Reply 91
fundamentally
Translation: Your A levels were crap.

Proves my point.

You're incredibly rude and arrogant. You might be clever, but it's not *everything*. I bet you have no life whatsoever.

And I suppose you're the type who thinks that anything less than AAA at A-level is crap; right?
Reply 92
viviki
Not all graduate jobs ask for 2.1s far from it. Also there are a heck of a lot of them who will accept 2.2s from people with exceptional circumstances. A 2.2 isn't an exceptional degree its average however its absolutely nothing for anyone to be ashamed of and is not regarded as shameful by most employers.

I'm sure the majority will if you have excpetional or mitigating circumstances but thats simply an acknowledgement that you would have achieved a higher (worthwhile) degree had these circumstances not been present. It may not be regarded as shameful by employers but certainly isnt held in high regard and my point was that it is considered a badge of shame by most students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundamentally
Translation: Your A levels were crap.

Proves my point.

You're incredibly rude and arrogant. You might be clever, but it's not *everything*. I bet you have no life whatsoever.

And I suppose you're the type who thinks that anything less than AAA at A-level is crap; right? Quote

I'm sorry but although I may not agree with calling someone else's A-Levels crap I have to laugh at the assumption that people who get straight A's have no life, you are unable to achieve the same academically so you try and console yourself with this totally unfounded argument, its pathetic really.
Reply 93
**** off. I got AAAB in my A levels so suck on that.

Of course people who get straight A's can have a life - lots of my friends got more than AAA and all had lives, I was thinking that the attitude of fundamentally or wtfever she is shows shes just a loser.

She joins an internet forum and essentially slags people off and is rude.

--------------

oh and kb500 - learn how to quote properly, it's very annoying :smile:

--------------

fundamentally
Just wondering, why is it that the not-too-bright are the ones who become teachers ?

im sorry but this is just bollocks. The school I went to had very able teachers, it was only a small school but I can think of several Oxbridge graduates, and most of the teachers went to very good universities. The majority of them were very inspiring and I think I got a fairly excellent education as a result.
Reply 94
This entire thread is based on generalisations and assumptions. It is a truly ridiculous argument that would not be allowed in D&D simply because no-one can back up their points.
Reply 95
i don't believe ive made any assumptions or generalisations.

this thread disgusts me.
red_roadkill

this thread disgusts me.

Could not agree more with you!
Reply 97
red_roadkill

this thread disgusts me.

Assumption: "I bet you have no life whatsoever"
Reply 98
[QUOTE="red_roadkill"]**** off. I got AAAB in my A levels so suck on that.

Of course people who get straight A's can have a life - lots of my friends got more than AAA and all had lives, I was thinking that the attitude of fundamentally or wtfever she is shows shes just a loser.

She joins an internet forum and essentially slags people off and is rude.

--------------

She is entitled to her opinion just as anyone else is.

--------------

Poica

LOL
Reply 99
Poica

Oh come on, have you read any of her [fundamentaly] posts on TSR? She just goes around insulting people and being patronizing.

She's an arrogant cock.

Latest

Trending

Trending