The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Changing course- URGENT.

Have people been known to change courses before they arrive and how hard is it to do this? thanks :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm thinking of trying to change course too!

This thread may help http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1335398 :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Blehhh, I'm also thinking of trying to change slightly. (From French and Linguistics joint honours to Linguistics and Phonetics single honours) I'm reading a couple of linguistics books now then on results day I'm going to call up and see if I can change. Then if I can't I'm going to try when I get to the uni. Providing I actually get in in the first place.

Is the course you want to change to in Extra? If it is, in my unexpert opinion you might have a bigger chance of getting in as that means there are still places. It's worth a try though whether it is or isn't, you never know.

Best of luck, post here if you manage to change!
Reply 3
Just checked and it's on extra! I'm going to call up/email tomorrow and enquire. The entry requirements for the course I want to change onto are far lower than the ones for my offer(and my predictions) so fingers crossed!
Original post by Selenax
Just checked and it's on extra! I'm going to call up/email tomorrow and enquire. The entry requirements for the course I want to change onto are far lower than the ones for my offer(and my predictions) so fingers crossed!

Tell me what happens because I might do the same! Who are you contacting - the admissions tutor for the course you want to change to?
I actually think it may be worth emailing before results day, or at least in the week between Sunday and Thursday of results (when the uni have your results and are making their final decisions about who if anybody to let in of those who missed their grades etc), letting them know that you would like to change.

This means that if the course you want to change to, has got spaces because people with firms have missed their grades, and you have got the grades for it, then you are in a better position to be moved across.

In general at Leeds which is quite popular across the board it is not that easy to change at this point because a lot of courses are quite tight for spaces. In reality changing may involve doing 1st year and then changing and starting again the year after - not ideal although when you are actually at uni you might think you fancy an extra year of being a student (albeit picking up more debt).

I knew a few people at Leeds who changed course but they had to do it that way, like I say its not ideal but if you really fancy changing and they are stonewalling you saying sorry we are full and its not possible then take electives in the course you want to change to, work hard on them, get to know the tutor who takes them (so he/she thinks you're a keen student) and then towards the end of the semester mention to that tutor that you've really enjoyed the elective and actually want to change course, and ask their advice, they will probably say you have to speak to the admissions tutor for that course about transferring, but the advantage there is you have a tutor from that course who can give you a reference to say yep you're good and you are keen. A lot of students have a 'wobbly moment' between accepting their firm and starting, when they suddenly decide for a week they want to be a lawyer or whatever, and tutors are wary about it being a quick fad.
Reply 6
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I actually think it may be worth emailing before results day, or at least in the week between Sunday and Thursday of results (when the uni have your results and are making their final decisions about who if anybody to let in of those who missed their grades etc), letting them know that you would like to change.

This means that if the course you want to change to, has got spaces because people with firms have missed their grades, and you have got the grades for it, then you are in a better position to be moved across.

In general at Leeds which is quite popular across the board it is not that easy to change at this point because a lot of courses are quite tight for spaces. In reality changing may involve doing 1st year and then changing and starting again the year after - not ideal although when you are actually at uni you might think you fancy an extra year of being a student (albeit picking up more debt).

I knew a few people at Leeds who changed course but they had to do it that way, like I say its not ideal but if you really fancy changing and they are stonewalling you saying sorry we are full and its not possible then take electives in the course you want to change to, work hard on them, get to know the tutor who takes them (so he/she thinks you're a keen student) and then towards the end of the semester mention to that tutor that you've really enjoyed the elective and actually want to change course, and ask their advice, they will probably say you have to speak to the admissions tutor for that course about transferring, but the advantage there is you have a tutor from that course who can give you a reference to say yep you're good and you are keen. A lot of students have a 'wobbly moment' between accepting their firm and starting, when they suddenly decide for a week they want to be a lawyer or whatever, and tutors are wary about it being a quick fad.

Who do you think we should contact? The general admissions team or the specific person for the course we want to change to? I'm thinking of changing from french and spanish to doing history and taking electives in the languages, history appears to still have spaces so am deliberating whether I should do it now or wait until I have my history result (I already have my french and spanish as I did them last year).
See if you can find online the name of the programme manager (a tutor) for the course you can to change to, failing that the admissions team for the course you want to change to. I reckon ask the question now, you can always come back to them when you have your history result.
Reply 8
See if you can find online the name of the programme manager (a tutor) for the course you can to change to, failing that the admissions team for the course you want to change to. I reckon ask the question now, you can always come back to them when you have your history result.

This may sound silly, but doing this won't jeopardise the place I have for french and spanish will it?
Original post by livelove
This may sound silly, but doing this won't jeopardise the place I have for french and spanish will it?

No they have to honour that anyway. Students are far too paranoid about this, it's not like when a department hears a student want to change to their course, that they'll go off and tell the other department "ohhh guess who wants to change from YOUR course". In any case, students considering changing is quite a common scenario.
Reply 10
No they have to honour that anyway. Students are far too paranoid about this, it's not like when a department hears a student want to change to their course, that they'll go off and tell the other department "ohhh guess who wants to change from YOUR course". In any case, students considering changing is quite a common scenario.

Haha ok yeah I did worry that they'd scurry off and inform the languages department that I'm thinking of changing and they'd withdraw my place lol!
Reply 11
I changed from geography to biology a couple weeks ago... just at my firm - I phoned that wasn't much good, so I emailed the admissions officer telling him my predicted grades and stuff. It might have helped the oofer for biology was lower than for geog though.
Reply 12
Original post by Skye333
I changed from geography to biology a couple weeks ago... just at my firm - I phoned that wasn't much good, so I emailed the admissions officer telling him my predicted grades and stuff. It might have helped the oofer for biology was lower than for geog though.

This may sound stupid but how did you word your email?
Original post by Selenax

Just emailed them myself. ARGH. I said something along the lines of that I saw in UCAS that places are still available and I was wondering if I could change as I've been thinking about it over the summer and am now sure that I want to. I also said could I please keep my current offer if I can't change :p:

So nervous :afraid: Please please let me get the admissions tutor in a generous mood!

Oh and I gave them my UCAS ID number so they can see my details etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Selenax

No, not stupid - I actually spoke to the carrers person at my college before college was out about this. I kept it short and to the point, so they would be sure to read it. I said something along the lines of my name is ..... and my UCAS NUMBER is..... I applied for Bsc geography at ..... University and have firmed the conditional offer I was given. However, I want to do *insert new course you want to do* course. I was wondering if this was possible? My predicted grades are A*A*A in chemistry, biology and geography and I have a C in AS history.

Thanks, *your name*

I gave some excuse about being pressured from time constraints, but I don't think it matters really, you just say you changed your mind as people do.

Then I gave my email address and telephone number. make sure you include your UCAS number, as they can view your application then.

It worked pretty well b/c they asked which one of the courses I'd asked to swap to I'd prefer and then swapped me the next day, I didn't have to write a new personal statement or anything.
Original post by Bella Occhi
Just emailed them myself. ARGH. I said something along the lines of that I saw in UCAS that places are still available and I was wondering if I could change as I've been thinking about it over the summer and am now sure that I want to. I also said could I please keep my current offer if I can't change :p:

So nervous :afraid: Please please let me get the admissions tutor in a generous mood!

I think if you are changing from a joint honours to a single honours in one of your joint honours subjects then you have a fairly good chance, as long as they aren't oversubscribed. They might say something like "we'll have to get back to you on results day" if they think there might be a chance but they need some other people to miss their offers first. Good luck with it!
Reply 16
Original post by Bella Occhi

yeah I'm sure they wouldn't take away your current offer, as once it's made it's made! Good luck!
I think if you are changing from a joint honours to a single honours in one of your joint honours subjects then you have a fairly good chance, as long as they aren't oversubscribed. They might say something like "we'll have to get back to you on results day" if they think there might be a chance but they need some other people to miss their offers first. Good luck with it!

Really, really hope so. The course is open for applications through Extra, ergo they must still have places open, so hopefully they will accept me. I'm just a bit worried because I already changed course once this year, so I'm worried they might see me as fickle and unreliable and won't want me for the course. Which I suppose would be fair enough on their part, but I know that this is the course I want to do beyond all doubt. :frown: Thanks though.

Original post by Skye333
yeah I'm sure they wouldn't take away your current offer, as once it's made it's made! Good luck!

Be gutted if they did! Doubt they would though yeah, just wanted to put it in there just in case. Thanks. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Skye333
No, not stupid - I actually spoke to the carrers person at my college before college was out about this. I kept it short and to the point, so they would be sure to read it. I said something along the lines of my name is ..... and my UCAS NUMBER is..... I applied for Bsc geography at ..... University and have firmed the conditional offer I was given. However, I want to do *insert new course you want to do* course. I was wondering if this was possible? My predicted grades are A*A*A in chemistry, biology and geography and I have a C in AS history.

Thanks, *your name*

I gave some excuse about being pressured from time constraints, but I don't think it matters really, you just say you changed your mind as people do.

Then I gave my email address and telephone number. make sure you include your UCAS number, as they can view your application then.

It worked pretty well b/c they asked which one of the courses I'd asked to swap to I'd prefer and then swapped me the next day, I didn't have to write a new personal statement or anything.

This is going to sound ridiculous but what did you put as the subject of your e-mail? I'm worrying far too much about this!!
Reply 19
Original post by livelove
This is going to sound ridiculous but what did you put as the subject of your e-mail? I'm worrying far too much about this!!

Don't worry :smile: I remember exactly it was 'course change enquiry'

Quick Reply

Latest