The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Been as you are only at secondary school, don't know how old though, you still have time to decide for definate what you want to do. Nobody will be able to advise you which one to do, its you who will have to do whatever you decide in the end.

Having said that though!....

They are two very different areas to enter so you need to be sure which way you are heading, esp when you choose A-levels. Someone how does/did medicine will know more, but I think they want mainly sciences for that, whereas banking would want more maths skills. You will also need to get some experience in the medicine field if that is the direction you want to go. It may be worth you trying to get some work experience in each area, which may help you make your mind up more. I know some places aren't as helpful giving w/e to people still at school, but if you can compare the actual work involved with each job you will probably realise which is for you (if either is.)

You mentioned the pay for the two areas, both are fairly well paid, but pay won't matter that much if you really hate a job, but are earning loads. Also, I doubt if potential patients/clients would be impressed knowing that you don't like the job and are only in it for the money. You could qualify in several years time, not like the job and then you will have wasted time and money getting somewhere you dont want to be. If you are saying that you are leaning towards banking already, then maybe the medicine route isnt for you!?!

Like I said, you still have time to decide for definate, but give it some proper thought and don't just pick job ideas for the money. Think about if it is really someything that you can imagine yourself doing for a very big part of your life. You could even look at some of the univeristy websites, most if not all, have online prospectuses, so you can have a look at what the degrees would involve.

Basically, research all your options and then come to an informed decision!!!
Reply 2
Reply 3
Wow, I am also choosing between Medicine and Investment Banking.
IB'ers wprk their arses off....like 8am till 9/10pm..money's big, if they don't chuck you out
I'm not saying this isn't the case for investment banking, but....

medicine is vocation where you need more than money as an incentiveto do it. Its a long hard slog and (5 years til you start earning). Even then the pay isn't fantastic at first considering the long hours/job stress/demands/job security.

If you want to do medicine, then great, but it really is a tough route on to becoming fully qualified, and you need to be fully dedicated and have more than the money as your incentive.
Reply 6
A*s_wanted
I've recently been thinking about my career directions and I have managed to think up two that I am interested in - becoming a doctor (plastic surgeon would be nice...) or a career in investment banking. I am interested in both (possibly leaning towards investment banking?) but I really want to know what other people would think is the wiser choice? On the one hand a doctors job is more stable and the money will always be excellent - but it's extremely difficult and the pay sometimes may not be considered quite as good when you actually realise the amount of work they do. Investment bankers qualify much earlier and can earn alot more but this all depends on the global economy and whether you can actually get a job with how many people there are wanting jobs!? Please, what people think would be the better career option?

If you want to get rich, don't be a doc. Docs are comfortable but not mega rich. Unless of course you go to the US and do lots of plastic surgery...Being a doc is hard and not about the money
No Future
If you want to get rich, don't be a doc. Docs are comfortable but not mega rich. Unless of course you go to the US and do lots of plastic surgery...Being a doc is hard and not about the money

I couldn't (and didn't) put it better myself!
Reply 8

Do investment banking. Yes the money is better than a lot of other professions but the responsibility you have for people's lives in a way no amount of money can make up for if you get it wrong!
Im having the same questions atm... even though im just choosing my AS choises...

Want to do medicine or economics/banking related job, so AS is the first step at choosing...

Therefore, I have decided to do Economics, Maths, Chemistry and (Bio/Phy). This way, I can have both options open, I think...
XxXmowgliXxX
Im having the same questions atm... even though im just choosing my AS choises...

Want to do medicine or economics/banking related job, so AS is the first step at choosing...

Therefore, I have decided to do Economics, Maths, Chemistry and (Bio/Phy). This way, I can have both options open, I think...

Choosing AS levels at 14? do you still get any time for pissing about at school?
Reply 11
That you even pose the question suggests that a career other than medicine beckons.
Jimmocrates
Choosing AS levels at 14? do you still get any time for pissing about at school?

Im in Year 11 and have done the maths gcse (A*) :tongue:

Im 15 in a couple of months anyway
Reply 13
Cathie86

They are two very different areas to enter so you need to be sure which way you are heading, esp when you choose A-levels. Someone how does/did medicine will know more, but I think they want mainly sciences for that, whereas banking would want more maths skills.

The A Levels would be quite similar, Maths, Chemistry and Physics have Maths skills, and then theres Biology all academic subjects which would be great for either a medicine or finance degree.
Reply 14
Jimmocrates
I'm not saying this isn't the case for investment banking, but....

medicine is vocation where you need more than money as an incentiveto do it. Its a long hard slog and (5 years til you start earning). Even then the pay isn't fantastic at first considering the long hours/job stress/demands/job security.

If you want to do medicine, then great, but it really is a tough route on to becoming fully qualified, and you need to be fully dedicated and have more than the money as your incentive.

I Echo your sentiments greatly ! The pay is no where near IB !
Reply 15
I just am :tongue:

and im not lying... believe me
Reply 17
bassamband
Wow, I am also choosing between Medicine and Investment Banking.

aka "Wohaaa, I'm also looking only at job that pay lots..."

You need to be looking way deeper than that before choosing. The former requires study (lot of) and the other 'soul' (well, willingness to sell). That, and the fact uni will open your eyes and broaden your mind - chances you won't be thinking the same thing x years down the line...

Post direct generally rather than OP or quoted poster.
A*s_wanted
I've recently been thinking about my career directions and I have managed to think up two that I am interested in - becoming a doctor (plastic surgeon would be nice...) or a career in investment banking. I am interested in both (possibly leaning towards investment banking?) but I really want to know what other people would think is the wiser choice? On the one hand a doctors job is more stable and the money will always be excellent - but it's extremely difficult and the pay sometimes may not be considered quite as good when you actually realise the amount of work they do. Investment bankers qualify much earlier and can earn alot more but this all depends on the global economy and whether you can actually get a job with how many people there are wanting jobs!? Please, what people think would be the better career option?

It is clearly obvious that you are only interested in money. Successful IB's earn more.
naivesincerity
IB'ers wprk their arses off....like 8am till 9/10pm..money's big, if they don't chuck you out

That little? :confused:

It can be much worse than that in some divisions...

Think more like 15 or more hour working days, 6 days a week... and Sunday is a 'light' 8 hours more often than not. Regularly going stretches of weeks without a day off.

Your desk doesn't just contain work materials, there's also a couple change of clothes, your toothbrush, toothpaste and a shaving kit.

So far as how scarily impressive and workaholic some of the youth are these days (well, or exams are sliding faster than something really fast - I hear some of the intake to Winchester this year for 6th form will by the time they start, have finished five or six AS levels.

Latest

Trending

Trending