The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2012!

Scroll to see replies

One more silly, slightly lame question :smile: But is it worth bringing my bike up all the way from London, just for use around campus and trips into york and stuff? I'm a fairly competant rider, as long as the routes aren't too horrific? So yeah, if anyone has any opinion on the matter I'd be very grateful :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 141
Original post by SubAtomic
Yes there is a direct train from London to York. Have used it twice so far.

Oh, cool, from what station?
Reply 142
Original post by stac4321
One more silly, slightly lame question :smile: But is it worth bringing my bike up all the way from London, just for use around campus and trips into york and stuff? I'm a fairly competant rider, as long as the routes aren't too horrific? So yeah, if anyone has any opinion on the matter I'd be very grateful :smile:

I've been thinking the same! When I went there, and drove around the area as well as more downtown, it did seem a little tricky to bike around. Just wondering if someone here knows better, or has experience with bikes around York!
Really think it would be a good alternative to public transportation...
Reply 143
Apparently it's excellent for cycling, but it's the local governments site. http://www.york.gov.uk/cycling/
Reply 144
Grand central run the York to London trains now.

As for cycling, I was there 2 weeks ago on the bike, great place to cycle but I'd reccomend a road or hybrid. Mountain biking isn't too good afaik, dalby forest is close but you need a car ideally. Dalby is worth the trip though, awesome place!
Original post by maitai
I've been thinking the same! When I went there, and drove around the area as well as more downtown, it did seem a little tricky to bike around. Just wondering if someone here knows better, or has experience with bikes around York!
Really think it would be a good alternative to public transportation...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1375735

Just found this thread about cycling in York, hope it helps :smile: I'm probably just going to do it and then if for some reason me + york + bike doesn't work out as well as I'd hoped I'll let it rust away in the bike shed thing somewhere haha :biggrin:
Reply 146
Does anybody know about York basketball, rugby or rowing?

Also, is campus car-friendly?
Original post by razorfin
From London there is no direct connection to York, you have to change at Peterborough, but that's very easy anyway :smile:

...isn't York somewhere on the London-Edinburgh/Glasgow route? I'm pretty sure it has been for quite a long time :confused:

As for the bikes, it kind of depends on where you'll be living and how often you intend to use it (to go into town or whatever). I personally wouldn't have used one this year as it's really easy to just walk to stuff on campus, but I'm getting one for next year when I live off-campus.
Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
...isn't York somewhere on the London-Edinburgh/Glasgow route? I'm pretty sure it has been for quite a long time :confused:

Yes, it is on the London Edingburgh route. York train station has direct links to Manc airport and many other places. I have got that train to York from Kings Cross twice so far, book in advance though:wink:. I find national rail to be better than trainline.

stac4321
One more silly, slightly lame question But is it worth bringing my bike up all the way from London, just for use around campus and trips into york and stuff? I'm a fairly competant rider, as long as the routes aren't too horrific? So yeah, if anyone has any opinion on the matter I'd be very grateful

On cycling. I wouldn't bother if it is for the city you are thinking as it seems pretty dangerous, lots of twisty tight little roads. If you want a scenic ride then cool but for riding round town then na wouldn't bother. If you in to cycling though then yeah why not as am sure there are plenty of safish bike rides around York.
Reply 149
I'm planning on byuing a bike once I'm at York...is this a good idea? And how much do bikes cost in UK/York (I don't wan't a super bike but something cheap and good-looking)
Cycle Heaven is good but pretty expensive. My bike was approx £200 from another place, on sale, but you can check gumtree and sign up to Freecycle.
York's good to cycle around, specially by the river- but there are hills!
Original post by Historophilia

Hey, i couldnt help but remember you were going to go to the York open day on the 24th (yesterday) I was there too. What did you think of it ?
Can anyone give a quick explanation of the colleges? For example, I like the look of Vanbrugh and Derwent but I'm applying for chemistry and they're home to History and Politics etc.
Does it really matter what departments are housed there or do people just go for the one they like the look of and is there a good mix of students in each college?
Reply 153
Original post by MathewAlanJones
or do people just go for the one they like the look of and is there a good mix of students in each college?

That.
It really doesn't matter in which college you are, except if you are on Heslington East or your course is there and even then it's only like 10 to 15 mins walk. Otherwise, everything on Heslington West is pretty close, so there should be no problem at hall. Colleges in York are (IMO) more like resident halls, with a common spirit, than colleges in the Oxbridge sense.

EDIT: And yes, I know there are specific college features, like college sports and special college events.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Chr0n
Colleges in York are (IMO) more like resident halls, with a common spirit, than colleges in the Oxbridge sense.

That's what my incline was. Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 155
Original post by stac4321
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1375735

Just found this thread about cycling in York, hope it helps :smile: I'm probably just going to do it and then if for some reason me + york + bike doesn't work out as well as I'd hoped I'll let it rust away in the bike shed thing somewhere haha :biggrin:

Thank you so much! I'll have to see if I can be bothered with dragging it there. If I know I'll have a place to store it, then maybe I will! :biggrin:
Reply 156
Hello. Arriving a bit late to the forum and thread alike, but still, I hope, not too late.

Name: Radostin (Rado for short)
Course: Computer scinece
Offer: Conditional (5.50 diplom, with 5.50+ in maths)
Favourite accommodation: Undecided, yet, but leaning towards Vanbrugh or Derwent
What are you most looking forward to about York: A new city, new university and a new culture altogether. Sounds exciting, and a bit frightening.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 157
Don't be frightened, everyone is in the same boat :smile:
Original post by SubAtomic
Yes, it is on the London Edingburgh route. York train station has direct links to Manc airport and many other places. I have got that train to York from Kings Cross twice so far, book in advance though:wink:. I find national rail to be better than trainline.

I thought so! I've never used the National Rail website :smile: Although I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on trains this year :frown:
Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
I thought so! I've never used the National Rail website :smile: Although I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on trains this year :frown:

Yeah it can be quite costly if unable to book well in advance.

National rail have always worked out cheaper for me than train line. Still cost me £40 return to Newcastle and same for London so it all adds up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending