The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Admit tingly it is wrong however as some have said your telling the admissions board wouldn't mean that somebody else would get a place, and all you've really done is ruined your friend's chance at medicine.

And when you think of it will you look your friend in the eye and tell her '' I told them the truth'' In what ways are those the actions of friend and I believe that you'd be left with a feeling of guilt after all what have you gained from doing this apart from a sense of enlightenment ? lol

I'm a believer of karma and your friend will get what's coming to her
Original post by zakkaz
Many people are claiming that it's small and petty, but think about it - there probably was decent person who did work hard did the work experience and deserves to do medicine - and this person took their place is that really fair?

Agreed, some people will have taken months to get work experience, whereas others lie about it and spent their time sat at home doing nothing.
Don't snitch but only because of the evidence issue :wink: I wouldnt lie personally as I wouldn't be able to live with my conscience feeling that I may of taken the opportunity away from an honest candidiate :s-smilie:
Reply 183
Original post by Surprises!
Nooope.

Well she's a clown then. Still you should allow her, it's nothing serious.
Original post by sexbo
Well she's a clown then. Still you should allow her, it's nothing serious.

I give up, I can't understand how you guys can think like this.
Reply 185
I really truly despise people who lie on applications / in interviews.

Bit snitching is bad too (not as bad but it doesn't matter - their sin does not absolve yours).

Don't do it.
Yeah probably 1/3 applicants lied like **** as well.
Reply 187
Original post by Davidragon
I give up, I can't understand how you guys can think like this.

Please tell me how is it serious? It's people who like you who make life a miserable experience because you constantly have to toe the line and watch your back incase some goody two shoes grasses you up over the smallest thing.
it is an unfair game, so why hate her for trying to get a place? she tried to help herself, and she did it. Afterall , all these universities lie for money. Not saying lying is a good thing, but she will realise her mistakes. Live and let live , at least shes not hurting anyone. Perhaps shes got the offer because she deserved it, and not because she lied, but lying can even make her lose more than she will gain. I believe she would get in anyways.

Not good being a snitch :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Nooope.

Just to be clear, it wasn't your moral wrestling as to whether to snitch or not that I called you an arse for. People wok damned hard for an opportunity like going to med school and don't like to see someone else cheating their way in.

It was the fact you specified what replies to your post you did and did not want.
Original post by sexbo
Please tell me how is it serious? It's people who like you who make life a miserable experience because you constantly have to toe the line and watch your back incase some goody two shoes grasses you up over the smallest thing.

Sorry, but if you read the comments you'd realise the extent of the lies. It is a big deal, and I can't see how you don't feel it. It isn't the same as selling yourself and exaggerating the impact X that you did had. I can't see how making up all your personal experiences at interview is "nothing serious".
Reply 191
Original post by Jamie
Just to be clear, it wasn't your moral wrestling as to whether to snitch or not that I called you an arse for. People wok damned hard for an opportunity like going to med school and don't like to see someone else cheating their way in.

It was the fact you specified what replies to your post you did and did not want.

Well clearly. A silly reply such as "this is none of your business, don't interfere" is hardly justifiable and hardly helps now does it?
I posted here because I wanted advice, not be called names by you.
Just get a grip. If you tell on your friend you just want to ruin her life. Your jelous that your friend is doing medicine and you arent. Joke.
You can twist the truth or omit it, or maybe even exaggerate it slightly, but I think lying outright is perhaps going a little bit too far. Heck, I'll admit to twisting the truth slightly in my application - I spoke about things I had done a couple of years ago in my personal statement! But fabricating false experience is a bit sneaky :tongue: but I don't think ratting her out is going to change anything really. Universities need to just employ better ways to validate applicants' stories or something.
Reply 194
Original post by Davidragon
Sorry, but if you read the comments you'd realise the extent of the lies. It is a big deal, and I can't see how you don't feel it. It isn't the same as selling yourself and exaggerating the impact X that you did had. I can't see how making up all your personal experiences at interview is "nothing serious".

No-one is gonna die or lose loads of money. She is probably perfectly able to do the job but is desperate. If she was saying she went to medical school when she really went to fashion school then that's a big deal but if she is a perfectly qualified medic who just lacks the experience to be competitive then it's a dog eat dog world and I commend her for using a bit of slyness to get ahead.
Ultimately, here is the bottom line

Her lying about some things on her UCAS in no way impairs her ability to be a good doctor, as most of the requirements for med school are just pointless hoops to jump through to narrow down applicant numbers.
Well clearly. A silly reply such as "this is none of your business, don't interfere" is hardly justifiable and hardly helps now does it?
I posted here because I wanted advice, not be called names by you.

I didn't say its none of your business.
I certainly thought it.

I also didn't say you should spend more time sorting your own future out before sabotaging others.
But I thought that too.

I did say that it is characteristic of an arse to post a question on a forum and then say you didn't want answers against your view.
I'm not even arguing this from a 'should OP say anything' stand point, because there are unrelated practical issues with that.

For me, from an ethical perspective, this is what it comes down to.

Everyone is desperate, everyone really wants to get in. Most people spend hours volunteering, doing work experience, going to conferences etc. Partly because it is enjoyable and relevant to what we want to do for the rest of our professional lives, and partly (as many will say) because we want to get in.

Someone who lies to this extent has not done any of that. Before you say it, putting a positive spin on actual experiences isn't the same as lying out-rightly. It isn't really a question of 'would they make a good doctor', there aren't enough places for everyone who could possibly be a good doctor. The question is this: does she deserve the place ahead of someone who was honest?

Whether or not she was borderline is largely irrelevant; universities generally only give a fixed number of offers meaning someone else was pushed out by her.

It might not seem like a big deal to some of you, but a candidate - who may have actually put in hours getting experience and developing themselves as a person - would have missed out on an offer to someone who did none of this and chose simply to lie. Potentially, that person missed out on a place at medical school all together this year and would have to reapply.

So who deserves the place more, the convincing liar or the honest borderline candidate? To be honest, I can already guess the response; so many of you think being able to lie your way through an interview and cheat the system is an admirable trait.

Anything for the sake of competition I guess. I wonder how these same people will be like when applying for: foundation schools, speciality training, consultant jobs. Anything's fine, right? Anything for the sake of competition. It's no big deal if some naive honest people miss out along the way, as long as you get what you want a bit of lying is fine isn't it? Yeah, blame the system. After all, it's not like you could have accomplished it any other way, you've really got no choice. Anyway, you deserve the place more than any of those other people. And if you get in, feel proud. After all, you really earned it didn't you?
Reply 198
Very well said David!
i don't so much think you should report for the moral of the matter, but because she was stupid enough to *tell* people this. jesus.

Latest

Trending

Trending