The Student Room Group

Quitting my job after the first day?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Llamageddon
On what planet are student loans enough to live on?

Well that surely depends on how you spend your money? I lived on my student loan during my first year of university (no grants or bursaries) without much difficulty, mainly because I kept down my accommodation costs. So clearly it is possible.
Reply 41
Original post by M1011
Well that surely depends on how you spend your money? I lived on my student loan during my first year of university (no grants or bursaries) without much difficulty, mainly because I kept down my accommodation costs. So clearly it is possible.

You're right about proper budgeting, if I'd kept to my budget I wouldn't be in such a bad situation and I'd probably have enough money left to pay for my summer rent. Instead, I spent it all on nights I can't even remember and alcohol I probably didn't need. :s-smilie:

With regards to accommodation, I go to Aberystwyth and there isn't enough accommodation for the amount of students that go (meaning a large amount of students have to share bunk beds) so you take whatever comes along and get completely ripped by the rent because that's the going rate. I have to start paying next year's accommodation over the summer, starting July and it's £90 a week, there is no way my loan will cover that as it doesn't even start by then. I didn't know about the accommodation situation until after I firmed the choice on UCAS.

Anyway, that's off-topic and something I just have to deal with.

With regards to this thread: I quit the factory job and this morning I got a new one waiting at a local pub. It was very lucky and I think it was wrong of me to quit the other job before I found a replacement but it's worked out well. It's less money but more enjoyable and shorter shifts so I'm looking forward to it. Plus I know the employers and they're lovely people and I know some of the staff and everyone enjoys working there so I'm feeling really lucky and thankful.

Reading the replies to this thread has been immensely useful though, so thanks for all the responses. :biggrin: I reckon now would be a good time to close the thread but I'm not sure how to do that, so I'll figure it out in the morning, :smile:
Reply 42
Congrats on the new job, glad it worked out :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by willbee

I completely understand why they don't speak English, but putting myself in their shoes doesn't make the job more enjoyable for me. They prefer to speak their language, I prefer to speak mine.

That isn't the point. You said you wouldn't have minded if you were on your own; as if it wasn't that you didn't have anyone to talk to but the fact that other people there were pally that bothered you. Even if they were English speakers - do you really think you are gonna be their best mate on the first day?

Anyway, work isn't meant to be fun. If you go around looking for something fun to do - you'll just end up skint untill you start college.

Anyway - good on you for getting a new job. Hope you stick it out this time.
Reply 44
I know someone who quit their job after 45 minutes. Did a runner.
People doing menial jobs for certain low pay = brainwashed soulless power like China

People doing interesting, entrepreneurial jobs for uncertain high pay = spirited USA that gives China a reason to exist.

I fully acknowledge the gross generalisation above, but bear with me, I've got chickenpox :frown:

My point to you, young man, is this:

Your time and energy are resources of paramount importance. Money can never equal them. Do a job that you can stand up and say to yourself that you are happy doing. If not, then you should be able to say whatever it is you need the money from the job for, is worth the work.

If not, then you will only drain humanity's best asset: your soul, and the joint soul of endless imagination and knowledge our species can muster.
Original post by M1011
I studied at UCL so probably have a warped perspective here. I had to work weekends and holidays to afford a basic lifestyle.

Finding work in central london is easy as falling off a log though, pays very well and you get a lot of choice in what you do.
Reply 47
Original post by Flying Cookie
People doing menial jobs for certain low pay = brainwashed soulless power like China

People doing interesting, entrepreneurial jobs for uncertain high pay = spirited USA that gives China a reason to exist.

I fully acknowledge the gross generalisation above, but bear with me, I've got chickenpox :frown:

My point to you, young man, is this:

Your time and energy are resources of paramount importance. Money can never equal them. Do a job that you can stand up and say to yourself that you are happy doing. If not, then you should be able to say whatever it is you need the money from the job for, is worth the work.

If not, then you will only drain humanity's best asset: your soul, and the joint soul of endless imagination and knowledge our species can muster.

Are you sure that you're not about ten? :tongue:
Original post by M1011
Are you sure that you're not about ten? :tongue:

nah mate, bad times :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending