The Student Room Group

Can employers contact sixth form and university to confirm grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Xiaojust
Once 6 years has passed they cannot check your grades. The school you went to must destroy the files and the examination board will no longer have them on file.

Where did you hear that? Certainly with exam boards they can send out confirmations of results with pretty much no time limit.
Original post by ttoby
Where did you hear that? Certainly with exam boards they can send out confirmations of results with pretty much no time limit.

Exam boards need to keep exam results on record long term as twenty years down the road some incident could mean you lose your certs and need them to provide a statement of grades.
Reply 22
Just reading through this thread as I've found myself in a bit of a predicament and need some advice. I was made redundant from my travel agents job 6 months ago and have struggled to find alternative employment since. Before Christmas I applied for a job with a bank and in a moment of madness and desperation I put down on the application that I got a grade C in maths when I didn't. I achieved B's and C's in all other subjects and recorded those correctly. I thought that as I left school in 1991 the wouldn't check or be able to check. I passed a telephone interview and have a face to face interview next week. I've now received an email saying that a company called verifile will be carrying out checks on me including qualifications :-/ Should I give up now, come clean or go to the interview and hope that this doesn't come to light? A very important lesson has been learnt today :-/
Hello! I know this a late reply but I came across this post and wondered if you could let me know what happened? Did you go ahead with this or did they find out? I'm hoping it was a good outcome for you! Thanks :-)
Reply 24
Whoever said that about schools and exam boards destroying your records is utter codswallap. Exam boards will always keep that record. They won't necessarily release it to the public but it's on record. Schools have different policies but they're not legally obliged to destroy your record.

If an employer wants your grades it's up to you to produce certificates confirming them. If you can't do that you go to the exam board to issue a new certificate. If you still can't do that then you're in trouble. The same goes for university grades but do bear in mind that employers can check if you're lying about a university grade without having to go through a referee. If you're lying and they care enough to find out if you're lying you will be found out.
Can they find out your alevels and GCSEs grades as well. Do you not need to give them permission to do so?
Original post by PatrickC
Yes an employer could check your grades if they wanted to. Yes they would know from your uni that you did a foundation year because you would have done one extra year and it's better to say you did a foundation year then failed a year and repeated it.

I agree.
They are more likely to ask to see your certificates to prove your grades, but they will call the school if they want to.
Hi What law firm was it?
Hi what law firm?

Original post by jacketpotato
Any medium sized/large recruiter will check your background before you start. For my grad scheme at a large law firm they asked for original A-level certificates and an original transcripts. They also checked my employment and travel history for the last 2 years (I had to prove employment and account for time spent travelling etc).

You might get away with it for smaller employers but don't bank on it (it is very easy for employers to outsource background checks).

Original post by jacketpotato
Any medium sized/large recruiter will check your background before you start. For my grad scheme at a large law firm they asked for original A-level certificates and an original transcripts. They also checked my employment and travel history for the last 2 years (I had to prove employment and account for time spent travelling etc).

You might get away with it for smaller employers but don't bank on it (it is very easy for employers to outsource background checks).
Original post by Jane Souza
Hi what law firm?

One of the largest city firms.
If you're applying for a rocket scientist, id lean towards degrees being checked. Anything else, I'd be very suprised if anything you write on your CV is cross checked.Employers don't care about GCSE's or A levels, to some degree even undergrad studies. Experience and how you come across in the interview/covering letting is what will bag you the job.I've worked all over the world which I'm hugely grateful for. My CV does not have any education experience only experience. I wouldn't insult potential employers by putting anything other than a degree result.Don't panic if your degree isn't great, sell your utility as this is what will get you that job. If you really need to fabricate some truths, then do it, you'll likely be OK.Does that constitute an Injustice to those that have actually completed the degree, yes, but you guys will quickly learn life isn't fair and doesn't work between the ideals we may have. Trust me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending